PDA

View Full Version : clam on it's way out

mark
10-19-2007, 10:33 PM
Just come home to see my larger crocea in bad shape, looks like mantle been eaten on, retracted plus a brisle worm out in the light. Know was okay last night near 11:00pm.

I'll be getting some new numbers but measured in the last couple of days pH 8.1, Ca 425, Alk 11.2.

Only recent things were a 20g water change 2 days ago, added a small peice of Galaxy 4 days ago, another crocea 5 days ago and some SPS frags and a clown about 2 weeks ago.

Here as now plus a picture from day before yesterday.

As don't want fowling main tank will move a 10g isolation tank with small HOB power filter with carbon.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/clam2.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/clam1.jpg

fishface
10-19-2007, 10:38 PM
checked for paracitic snails yet? :http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/cav1i3/Clam_care/Clam_care.htm

mark
10-19-2007, 11:11 PM
checked for paracitic snails yet? :http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/cav1i3/Clam_care/Clam_care.htm

clean for snails

Had to cut a little of the attachment from the rock but when turned over, from the underside not looking to good. There still was a little movement when I touched the mantle and I put him in the other tank anyways but think it's gone.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/clam3.jpg

MikeP
10-19-2007, 11:50 PM
That sucks, I just lost my clam a little while ago. It turned to goo within 12 hours.

mark
10-20-2007, 02:55 AM
It sure does suck. Had him for about 13 months.

Checked the water and everything seems okay (pH 8.2, Ca 425ppm, Alk 11.2dKH, Mg 1300ppm, SG 1.026, temp 79°). Everything else in the tank looks the same.

MikeP
10-20-2007, 03:52 AM
My water quality was all good too. And the clam was the only thing that died. My research afterward indicated that some times clams just die without any known reason. Makes me second guess buying another one. :(

michika
10-20-2007, 02:33 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Mark. I'm also sorry to say that it probably won't make it.

fishguyxd
10-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Sorry to hear Mark I know what it's like to lose stuff
I have not had experience with clams what is the attraction to them Is it the colors or what ? I am just wondering.

fencer
10-20-2007, 11:01 PM
Did you have the basal foot exposed? That what happened to me. I am sure a crab took my clam out and the rest of the reef crew had clam sandwiches that day.

mark
10-21-2007, 06:19 AM
Well it's gone.

Fishguyxd, guess you do. Clams for me is they're rather unique animals, they got the colour, the size and the idea that you can actually keep one (or try to in my case). Not to say corals aren't neat but after seeing clams in the ocean they are one of the things that pulled me into having a tank (others were goby/shrimp pairs and clowns hosting in anemones).

Fencer, the clam was sitting on the same smooth flat rock for the last 13 months. Muscle wasn't really out in the open but not buried in sand. Only crabs I have are the emeralds and never seen then near the clam (actually haven't seen at all since putting in the tank a month ago) they're to be reef safe, hope they haven't turned bad.

untamed
10-21-2007, 03:55 PM
My guess is that the other clam imported something into the tank that the first clam wasn't prepared for. Bacterial or viral is what I'm thinking.

Captainhemo
10-22-2007, 06:58 PM
Sorry to hear about your clam. I had the same thing happen to me. Had him for just over a year (see avatar) , all was well one day, he was gone the next :(
I was told that using aptaisia killer (Joey's Juice) was a possible cause and I had recently used a bit.
It does seem to be quite common that when they go, they go fast

fishface
10-28-2007, 10:52 PM
i'm kinda getting the feeling that my crocea's soon to join the club. seems to be withdrawn alot of the time and slow to react to shadowing the light...what's going on here??

mark
10-29-2007, 04:00 AM
i'm kinda getting the feeling that my crocea's soon to join the club. seems to be withdrawn alot of the time and slow to react to shadowing the light...what's going on here??

feel for ya.

Don't reaaly know but might be something different than mine, since mine was 100% okay then dead probably within 24 hrs. If yours is gradual might be able to correct (though I got no idea what to suggest).

fishface
10-30-2007, 08:02 PM
still kickin' but today is showing severe signs of pinched mantel...so freshwater dip it is. wish me luck...

fishface
11-03-2007, 06:19 PM
uggh, this is painful watching this clam fade away. i just don't know what to do with it. i've read all i can, apparently if they're gonna go they just go, this one seems to just be suffering. FW dip didn't seem to do anything for it, i searched the shell and byssal area for any unwanteds...there was nothing. i just cannot find the source of irritation...:confused:

Skimmerking
11-03-2007, 06:25 PM
yup I know your pain man , I have a nice metallic blue one that i Think is on it's way out to clam heaven.:cry:

Doug
11-03-2007, 07:27 PM
uggh, this is painful watching this clam fade away. i just don't know what to do with it. i've read all i can, apparently if they're gonna go they just go, this one seems to just be suffering. FW dip didn't seem to do anything for it, i searched the shell and byssal area for any unwanteds...there was nothing. i just cannot find the source of irritation...:confused:

Darryl, did you read my thread on pinched mantle and the possible effects of excessive iron?

fishface
11-03-2007, 07:44 PM
i did at that Doug, thanks for that. it's has been off now for 3 days and i've been running a fair bit of carbon as well since i turned off the GFO reactor. not sure what else there is left for me to do...at this point.

Slipstream
11-04-2007, 11:09 PM
well, GL, i dont know many people that have good stories about clams, they all seem to die out if not right away, than around a year.

fishface
11-14-2007, 01:23 AM
well, i don't want to jinx this clam...but i think it's almost back to it's original good health. mantle is still slightly withdrawn but the "pinching" seems to have subsided. i just thought that after all the bad clam stories around here i would post a happy ending.

mark
11-14-2007, 02:04 AM
well, i don't want to jinx this clam...but i think it's almost back to it's original good health. mantle is still slightly withdrawn but the "pinching" seems to have subsided. i just thought that after all the bad clam stories around here i would post a happy ending.

good news