PDA

View Full Version : yellow sps question

Borderjumper
10-19-2007, 03:32 AM
I had a retailer add a "yellow pimple encrusting monti" to my last order.. sight unseen. It was described to me as bright yellow with white polyps. Well.... it has white polyps.:wink:
Its tan, with a hint of light greenish yellow around the edges. If anyone has something like this.. where do you keep it in your tank to get the yellow to color up? Ive tried it high.. its tan. Ive tried it low.. still tan. Any ideas?

Aquattro
10-19-2007, 05:14 AM
how long did you leave it in any one spot?

Chaloupa
10-19-2007, 05:22 AM
I was wondering if it colored up for you yet...:sad:

Borderjumper
10-19-2007, 05:37 AM
how long did you leave it in any one spot?

a couple of weeks up high and a week now down to about mid tank.

Borderjumper
10-19-2007, 05:38 AM
I was wondering if it colored up for you yet...:sad:
LOL its coloring up to a nice shade of tan!:mrgreen:

Aquattro
10-19-2007, 05:44 AM
Assuming you have at least 250w MH lights, I'd leave it in the middle of the tank for a while and see if it changes. Are the rest of your SPS colored? If this came out of the ocean, it may just need a rest to get used to captive conditions.

Chaloupa
10-19-2007, 06:07 AM
OOOOH gotta love those tan corals...I have one that is a lovely shade of brown..interested? ha ha.....I hope it does color up to be what it is supposed to be.....

untamed
10-19-2007, 06:12 AM
For 5 years, I had a yellow SPS in my small tank. I thought it was very nice and was always healthy.

I took some frags into my new tank and my yellow SPS turned bright green.

My point is, it might have been yellow in someone else's setup and it might be something different in another.

In my particular case, the differences were: Different salt brand, 175MH vs. 250MH, and Kalk vs. Ca reactor.

Borderjumper
10-19-2007, 07:30 AM
Thanks guys for the input. I know that corals look different under different conditions. Maybe under 10K lights it may look yellow.. heck my whole tank looks yellow to me under 10K's:mrgreen: but I have 14K Phoenix bulbs, cause thats how I like my colors. My other monti's in the same tank are up pretty high and have wicked color. Im going to leave it be mid tank and just see what happens. Its a happy coral and has great polyp extension.. its just butt ugly right now:wink:

Aquattro
10-19-2007, 03:54 PM
It's not even that they look different, they can be very different colors in different conditions. I've had purple acros go bright blue in other people's tanks, and anytime Jamie Cross took one of my frags, I'd never recognize it. My "yellow" pocillipora was bright green in my tank, and yellow in most other tanks.

untamed
10-19-2007, 03:57 PM
It's not even that they look different, they can be very different colors in different conditions. I've had purple acros go bright blue in other people's tanks, and anytime Jamie Cross took one of my frags, I'd never recognize it. My "yellow" pocillipora was bright green in my tank, and yellow in most other tanks.

Yes, it's not just that you are viewing them under different lighting...the corals change colour. In my example, the change took about 3 weeks.

Borderjumper
10-19-2007, 05:20 PM
But in another tank the coral takes time to color change. In this instance the coral was sold to me as "bright yellow" and was out of the retailers tank for about an hour? before it went into mine. It was shipped Harbour Air, a 30 minute flight and I was waiting for the plane to land. I cant imagine it went from yellow to tan in that amount of time.:wink:

tang daddy
10-19-2007, 09:16 PM
maybe it wasn't that yellow in the sellers tank, you said you bought it sight unseen. Are you dosing anything to your tank or running a calcium reactor? btw how is the ultraman frag and the blue polyp tonga?

Borderjumper
10-19-2007, 09:32 PM
maybe it wasn't that yellow in the sellers tank, you said you bought it sight unseen. Are you dosing anything to your tank or running a calcium reactor? btw how is the ultraman frag and the blue polyp tonga?

Yup I would guess they exagerated on the yellow a little bit.
The frags I got from you are doing really well. The ultraman has really turned blue and they both are growing really well.