PDA

View Full Version : Light in Refugium?

linz8392
10-19-2007, 12:04 AM
Im turning my sump into a refugium.

What is the cheapest way of putting in there for it?

What kind of light should i use?

What have you all done in this regard?

thanks

mark
10-19-2007, 01:24 AM
Wanted chaeto so got a 28W PC, 6500K over my sump. Figured wouldn't need a lot of wattage since chaeto grows near suface and warm bulb for growth (6500-10000K)

Getting lots of chaeto growth and the coraline has turned one side of my skimmer pink.

mark
10-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Going to be adding a dedicated refugium so been looking into more light than I have now and come across this, ref lighting (http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html).

Captainhemo
10-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Here's some more info :http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27331&highlight=Refurgium+light

Reefer Rob
10-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Go to Home Depot and get the clip on reflector fixtures and 27w cf daylight bulbs.

mseepman
10-22-2007, 07:52 PM
I just picked up a little Coralife fixture from J&L...see link.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/l-pc.php?product_ID=pc-alf0918

I haven't finished my fuge yet but I am thinking this will work and is easy to work with.

Jaws
10-22-2007, 07:57 PM
I don't mean to hijack but this question is related to the poster's and might help them out too. Is there an adavantage other than cost in using a low watt MH light (say 150W) over some of the bulbs you buy at Home Depot? Will you experience faster or better growth with a better light or is it overkill? Thanks.

mark
10-22-2007, 08:26 PM
I don't mean to hijack but this question is related to the poster's and might help them out too. Is there an adavantage other than cost in using a low watt MH light (say 150W) over some of the bulbs you buy at Home Depot? Will you experience faster or better growth with a better light or is it overkill? Thanks.

If using for macro, for the growth one can get with a relatively inexpensive PC, don't think a MH is required, plus considering the price for a MH (initial and on-going) probably not the most cost efficient either.

pinhead
10-22-2007, 08:39 PM
I notice you are in Edmonton so this may not help you too much.

You can get 27 watts of 6500K in a compact fluorescent for $20. I have tried the screw in spiral bulbs and the light is radiated in all directions and the spotlight bulbs maybe too directional and the wrong temperature (I haven't seen 5100k spots let alone 6500k).

I have searched locally and in the US for the right fixture and finally found one this past weekend in Bellingham.

Lowes Hardware carries the 30w circline bulb and ballast for $10. This package has the ballast that screws into a standard socket and a circular fluorescent tube. If you unplug the circular tube and throw it away, the connector from ballast ballast is a standard 4 pin. This connecter plugs into the CF bulbs without any modification. I bought a 27w 6500k bulb at Lowes as well for $10 but I have seen these locally at Rona. The problem was finding the ballast because all the ones I could find here were only 22w.

The advantage of this is you can always get a 28w Coralife or Hamilton Bulb and get a higher temperature bulb and use it on a nano.

This solution is cheap, allows you to use standard aquarium bulbs and takes up less space than the other solutions. All you need to do is get to a Lowes.

fishface
10-22-2007, 08:40 PM
i had a 96w coralife fixture over my reufgium for while but replaced it with a 27 compact flourescent in a clipon fixutre. the high light made my cheato grow super yellow and stringy, replaced the light and it grows nice and green with that tight brillo pad texture.