PDA

View Full Version : what types of test kits would u suggest?

howdy20012002
10-18-2007, 11:34 PM
I know, I know, enough of the questions already.
But, just one more for today I promise.
what type of test kits would you suggest for the calcium, alkalinity, magnesium etc..etc..
I have heard differing opinions and just wanted to know if there are any that are known to have issues.
thanks again for all the help.
Neal

Drock169
10-18-2007, 11:52 PM
Salifert are probably the best, they are a little expensive but also pretty precise

fishface
10-18-2007, 11:56 PM
Salifert are probably the best, they are a little expensive but also pretty precise
yup!

Delphinus
10-18-2007, 11:57 PM
In general, you get what you pay for.

I like the Salifert test kits for Ca, Alk and Mg.

One BIG plus of the Salifert test kits, IMO, is that they are titration based, which means you assess a sample based on a counting the number of drops until you see a colour *change*. The volume that gets added tells you what your levels are. The other method test kits usually employ is to have a colour intensity change and then you look up the colour on a chart and you decide which colour it most looks like. This is subject to more error in my opinion.

Elos also makes some good test kits that have a very solid reputation and are easy to use. I am not sure if they are titration based or colour-comparison based.

Another reason I like Salifert is that it measures Alk in meq/l. I like thinking of Alk in meq/l because a calcium reactor typically adds 10ppm of Ca to 0.1meq/l of Alk. The conversion of meq/l to dKH is 2.8, so the same sentence in dKH is "a calcium reactor adds 10ppm of Ca to 0.28 dKH". The math is easier when it's just multiples of 10 :)

However many people talk about Alk in terms of dKH. So it's good just to remember the conversion.

Der_Iron_Chef
10-19-2007, 12:51 AM
In general, you get what you pay for.

I like the Salifert test kits for Ca, Alk and Mg.

One BIG plus of the Salifert test kits, IMO, is that they are titration based, which means you assess a sample based on a counting the number of drops until you see a colour *change*. The volume that gets added tells you what your levels are. The other method test kits usually employ is to have a colour intensity change and then you look up the colour on a chart and you decide which colour it most looks like. This is subject to more error in my opinion.

Elos also makes some good test kits that have a very solid reputation and are easy to use. I am not sure if they are titration based or colour-comparison based.

Another reason I like Salifert is that it measures Alk in meq/l. I like thinking of Alk in meq/l because a calcium reactor typically adds 10ppm of Ca to 0.1meq/l of Alk. The conversion of meq/l to dKH is 2.8, so the same sentence in dKH is "a calcium reactor adds 10ppm of Ca to 0.28 dKH". The math is easier when it's just multiples of 10 :)

However many people talk about Alk in terms of dKH. So it's good just to remember the conversion.

I use Salifert for most, but use an Elos test kit for calcium. Tony, the Elos kit is titration based as well.

P.S. Salifert can be expensive, but I think ELOS is more expensive! I'm not sure if I can justify the price difference, having never used the Salifert Calcium kit.

mark
10-19-2007, 01:11 AM
Another fan of Salifert, have them for Ca, Alk, NO3 and pH. Also have Elos for Ca and Mg and all easy.

I'm with Delphinus and can't stand trying to match a colour range but the Salifert seemed better for pH and NO3 than the Hagen I had. Still ended up getting a pH monitor.

Bryan
10-19-2007, 01:47 AM
Salifert for the most part, but do NOT trust the accuracy of their alkalinity kit. Lots of complaints on RC about this.

Aquattro
10-19-2007, 01:47 AM
Salifert for CA and alk, don't test anything else.

andestang
10-19-2007, 03:22 AM
I use Salifert for everything, but I have considered trying the Elos Ca when time to buy another kit.