PDA

View Full Version : what type of salt do you use and why?

howdy20012002
10-18-2007, 11:26 PM
Just wondering what types of salt people use and why?
is there really that much of a difference?
I use IO and am just wondering if anyone can justify the extra 20.00 bucks per bucket cost for some of the other brands.
thanks again
Neal

Delphinus
10-19-2007, 12:08 AM
I use IO and am just wondering if anyone can justify the extra 20.00 bucks per bucket cost for some of the other brands.

Sure! :) Measure your Ca and Alk of a bucket of freshly made up IO, and them measure your Ca and Alk in a bucket of freshly made up of one of those others, then figure out how much additives you need to make up for that.

I used IO for a long time, then switched to Kent because I noticed my Ca and Alk would drop after a water change. With Kent the levels were already where I wanted them to be. I stopped using Kent when they had that bad batch of Alk and they never replaced MY bucket like they did for just about everyone else, so I switched back to IO. However lately I've been frustrated with the levels again and I've been trying different salts. I might just go back to Kent but the problem is, I'm not too keen on buying a salt that I have to M.O. if that's the only way to get it. There's a lot of different salt brands out there now and I'm not sure which one I'll gravitate towards next - have to do some research. I used a Red Sea salt for a while and it seemed to be OK but I could only buy it in bags which didn't last me very long.

There's nothing really wrong with using IO of course. It's a good salt brand.

andestang
10-19-2007, 03:17 AM
There's a lot of different salt brands out there now and I'm not sure which one I'll gravitate towards next - have to do some research.

I think Albert posted a chart with different brands of salt and their content levels for comparison. Have been trying to find it, but can't remember what post it was under. Hopefully he can chime in and re-post it. I have used IO for just about all the years I've been doing saltwater, but have been finding the CA is way too low now that I house corals. FOWLR I wouldn't hesitate to use IO though.