PDA

View Full Version : BioCube?

k_jenkinson
10-18-2007, 03:05 AM
Looking at starting up a quick tank for friend without spending arm and a leg saw the biocube self contained tanks and was wonding if anyone uses it and if it's worth the money to get one for a salt. Any comments would be usefull thanks!

whiteice669
10-18-2007, 04:14 AM
a few of my friends have them and love them

Chaloupa
10-18-2007, 05:11 AM
I have 3 14g biocubes....for the simplicity I like them...I find them easy to care for and work well for salt...I would like to upgrade one to a 29g but not sure that I will.....I don't like the fact that the top of the water always has a film on it, but other than that I don't really have a complaint...I also like the fact that you can do some mods that are simple and make a big difference.

Van-rookie
10-18-2007, 07:44 AM
I have 8G and 29G biocube (selling it :redface: ) and I think they are great...and nice look as well

albert_dao
10-18-2007, 08:14 AM
Have fun with the ballasts...

Chaloupa
10-18-2007, 03:14 PM
yah I forgot about the ballasts...I've had to replace 2 ballasts....and the bulbs burned out on one of the cubes REALLY fast....but both ballasts were replaced quickly, and bulbs are easy...

justinl
10-18-2007, 04:51 PM
yeah i had to replace one of my ballasts for my 8gal biocube after a couple weeks as well. so make sure that if it comes to that, your lfs can order in a new one. one more problem is that condensed water drips out the back... not a huge thing, just an annoyance.

limitations as to what corals you can keep in there depends on the light. to upgrade the lighting is a rather big mod that i wont get in to.

Sarah mentioned the small (and most importantly, cheap) mods that make a large difference in the biocube performance, so to save you some time, here they are:
-first chamber: remove the stock filter pad and chuck it. replace with a bag of carbon. you can also fit a heater in there.

-widen the overflow slot between chambers 1 and 2. widen! do not make it any deeper. wire cutters and pliers are useful here.

-second chamber: remove the bioballs. all of them. under the bioballs, there is a false bottom. remove this as well (a coat hanger with a hooked end works well to get this part out). fill the chamber with LR rubble (about golf ball size). you can also put some filter floss on top of the drip tray if you like.

-third chamber: replace the stock pump with a maxijet. it takes a bit of maneuvering to get it to fit without busting a side of the tank, but trust me it will fit. for the 8gal biocube you would use a MJ 600. for the 14 you would use a 900 i believe. not sure about the 29 gal (Id assume the 1200).

-display: I dont like the single output for water flow so i used locline to split the flow into two. one nozzle pointing at the front glass; the other is equipped with a flared nozzle and is close to and points parallel to the water surface. this agitates the surface and helps break up the surface film that Sarah mentioned.

it looks like a lot of work, but it's really not. you will want to do the first 4 mods before water even goes in the tank. the last mod with the locline is optional.

sharuq1
10-18-2007, 11:18 PM
I haven't modded mine at all. I have a 14g. I use a seio M620 on one side for counter-current, a bag of purigen and a bag of phosguard. Sometimes I use a bag of high density carbon, but not often.

Issues I have with it: heat from the lights causes the temp to rise in the day and lower in the night; the fact there are only 2 pc lights in there limits me on types of corals as well as places to put them to be able to get the light they need; the lid, though spiffy looking prevents putting on a hob skimmer or anything else; fans sometimes start revving and making huge amounts of noise when the lid is lifted (this seems to stop when you turn the lights off, lower the lid, then turn back on).

Likes: the back allows me to hide all my media, allows for some mechanical filtration, and hides the heater; it's attractive; easy enough to plug and play; you can set the lights on different timers due to having seperate cords.

All in all it is a good little unit to start out and learn on. I direct the flow to the top, so I have no issues with a film on the water. So far no issues on ballasts, but only bought it in April, so it should still be under warranty should they kick the bucket.

I think now in hindsight if I had the knowledge I do now I would have just used a normal fish tank and added whatever features I wanted to it--just so much more flexibility that way for lighting and other features. That being said, if a cheap 29g came up for sale I would still buy it just for the extra space. 14g is not very big, lol.

k_jenkinson
10-21-2007, 02:32 AM
Thanks yall for the input i don't know if i really want to deal with the ballast problem though. I figured that i would have to change the pump in the back and the fact that it doesn't have a skimmer kinda bothers me more. But i'll keep looking around saw a version from RedSea that might be better might still need up grades though. Thanks:smile:

dolphinpoint
10-21-2007, 04:57 AM
I have a biocube as well. The ballasts are really crap. I have had to replace them as well. There are a couple of other issues with the design as well. If it wasn't for great service from a LFS....

frontline
10-21-2007, 05:52 AM
I have an 8 gallon. Modded out. Hydor deflector and mj600. Fuge for second chamber. I love it. No real issues with the ballasts. A few mods make it a decent tank. Only set back I see is the lights limit what you can keep