PDA

View Full Version : Feeding question

Jason McK
10-18-2007, 12:39 AM
Ok this might be really remedial but, I'd love to know how and how often everyone feeds their fish.
I was reading an article on Aptasia control and the summary noted that like all Anemones, Aptasia can not rely on light alone and if there is a population of Aptasia that is out of control, husbandry techniques should be re-examined.
This lead me to think that perhaps my feeding habits might be excessive or wrong.

I currently feed mysis once a day. in the amount of a tablespoon when thawed.
I toss it freely in the tank. I will follow up with either nori (1/4 sheet) or flake (pinch)

J

Der_Iron_Chef
10-18-2007, 12:49 AM
I feed once at night (10pm). I also put nori in for the tang (and the chromis, actually).

michika
10-18-2007, 12:49 AM
I feed once to twice per day, a pinch of flake, cyclop-eze, and pellet. Sometimes I feed frozen foods, 1 cube mysis etc, and 2 cubes of frozen rotifers, but then skip feeding the next day.

When I had a big system, 300g, I fed nori once a day, flake once a day, and frozen once a day.

marie
10-18-2007, 01:08 AM
Ok this might be really remedial but, I'd love to know how and how often everyone feeds their fish.
I was reading an article on Aptasia control and the summary noted that like all Anemones, Aptasia can not rely on light alone and if there is a population of Aptasia that is out of control, husbandry techniques should be re-examined.
This lead me to think that perhaps my feeding habits might be excessive or wrong.

I currently feed mysis once a day. in the amount of a tablespoon when thawed.
I toss it freely in the tank. I will follow up with either nori (1/4 sheet) or flake (pinch)

J

If a person were to try to starve the aiptasia out, everything else in the tank would starve too

Der_Iron_Chef
10-18-2007, 01:15 AM
But don't anemones generally feed on larger particulate matter? I don't know what I'm talking about, really. Just guessing :)

Van-rookie
10-18-2007, 01:17 AM
When I had a big system, 300g, I fed nori once a day, flake once a day, and frozen once a day.

You mean all of them 7 times a week ?
OR nori today, flake tomorrow and frozen the day after ?

marie
10-18-2007, 01:20 AM
Oh I forgot to say what and how I fed :lol: . I just dump in everyday so it can float around the tank, mysis and flake in the am, frozen angel food and cyclopeeze in the pm and I also place a full sheet of Nori in the clip everyday

michika
10-18-2007, 01:40 AM
You mean all of them 7 times a week ?
OR nori today, flake tomorrow and frozen the day after ?

Once for each every day. 2 sheets of nori, a bigger pinch of flake, and 2-3 cubes of frozen foods. I had a HUGE bioload though, 4 tangs, a foxface, an angel, and then about 15 smaller fish.

Van-rookie
10-18-2007, 01:51 AM
thanks...

and how do you feed your corals ?

michika
10-18-2007, 02:03 AM
I used to feed phyto...it didn't nothing for them...I now just give them lots of light and lots of flow. I do however feed frozen rotifers once and awhile.

I am also trying out Aqua Connect's Energy Elements in the near future, you can PM me for more details.

digital-audiophile
10-18-2007, 02:12 AM
I feed once a day. I alternate between pellets, flakes, and mysis. I do feed a pinch of cyclopeze and reef roids every day for the filter feeders. I spot feed my anemones every couple of days as well. (was feeding silversides but have went mainly to PE mysis)

I've tried feeding sheets of nori but my tangs never really touch it The thing that is messed up is I have a cat that loves the stuff, anytime I open the nori package he runs up and wants his strip too :p I should get a picture.

Van-rookie
10-18-2007, 03:30 AM
I used to feed phyto...it didn't nothing for them...I now just give them lots of light and lots of flow. I do however feed frozen rotifers once and awhile.

I am also trying out Aqua Connect's Energy Elements in the near future, you can PM me for more details.

thanks catherine...

i have phytoplankton, reef roid and coral frenzy...but not sure how much and often I should feed the corals. I think I have enough flow and sufficient light

skylord
10-18-2007, 03:42 AM
When the lights come on they get a pinch of flake. About an hour later they get mysis. Then 2 or 3 times during the day they get more flake. If we have company....more flake. If they look sad...more flake. The rabbit gets a handful of macro algae once or twice a week. Nori...about a 1/4 sheet every other day. Then I do a water change...some weeks 2....lol

Scott

fishface
10-18-2007, 04:56 AM
one frozen block of either krill, baby brine shrimp or mysis...alernated. fed once every 2nd day, no nori, flakes or pellets and freeze-dried cyclop-eeze maybe twice a week after lights out.

tang daddy
10-18-2007, 05:13 AM
I feed the tank once every 3 days i feed 1/20 piece of nori, 2 cubes of coral frenzy, 1 toonie size chunk mysis small, and 1 sometimes 2 pinch of flakes with return off just the pumps in tank running. I should feed the rabbit fish more.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-18-2007, 05:18 AM
I defrost 3 cubes of mysis & 3 cubes of bloodworms each day & feed that to all my tanks. 40% goes to my 210g main reef, 40% goes to the 120g fowlr & 20% goes to my 90g seahorse/frag tank (mainly mysis). I also feed Irene's porcupine puffer 3+ krill/day & the snowflake moray a full tiger prawn over the span of a week (2 small pieces every other day till its all consumed).
In the main tank, I have a blasto/featherduster/suncoral corner & its also near my elegance & flowerpot collection. In that corner I will squirt in a small amount of rehydrated frz dried cyclopeeze, Reefroids, Coral frenzy, spirulina powder mix. Usually equal to a fifth of a turkey baster.
Every day or every other day, the main tank will get 2/3s a sheet of nori & the fowlr will get 1/3.

Wow, when I write it all down, it seems overwhelming. No wonder I almost never go on vacation.:redface:

Anthony

Snappy
10-18-2007, 05:38 AM
I generally throw in some pellets or flakes once a day and feed frozen foods 1 - 2 times a week. Nori occasionally as a treat, (note to fish) you want to eat algae? Go find some growing and eat it.

Van-rookie
10-18-2007, 07:40 AM
I feed the tank once every 3 days i feed 1/20 piece of nori, 2 cubes of coral frenzy, 1 toonie size chunk mysis small, and 1 sometimes 2 pinch of flakes with return off just the pumps in tank running. I should feed the rabbit fish more.

Chris,

you should feed them more often :biggrin: ....but I guess you feed your sps with lights and flow

tang daddy
10-18-2007, 07:50 AM
Chris,

you should feed them more often :biggrin: ....but I guess you feed your sps with lights and flow

The sps get lights and flow but I'm sure some of the sps eat the coral frenzy as do the fish. Coral frenzy is so small I'm sure the polyps are able to grab it as for the mysis the plates seem to like it there always a bunch they catch same with the speckled paly's.

michika
10-18-2007, 02:28 PM
thanks catherine...

i have phytoplankton, reef roid and coral frenzy...but not sure how much and often I should feed the corals. I think I have enough flow and sufficient light

When I used Reefroids earlier this summer I went along with the package instructions, but once I started adding more corals, I increased the dosage. I really didn't see much change in my corals from the Reefroids, but my fish sure did love it.

Tom R
10-18-2007, 03:17 PM
I feed once a day. I mostly feed a combination of Ocean Nutrition mini pellets one and two. I use about a pinch and a half and I sprinkle them in very slowly to ensure they are eaten before they hit the bottom. I will use flakes or a mix of mysis, shrimp and blood worms once a week. I do feed a mini spoon of cyclopeze and reef roids about once a week for the filter feeders. I spot feed my anemones every couple of days as well. I feel my tanks are very well established and the fish, crabs and shrimp must work at finding their own dinner. Anyone who has seen my tanks will know that my fish are anything but starving. I feel that this is because the ON pellets are a complete meal and by mixing the formula one and two you give the fish a total variety.

Tom R

Moose
10-18-2007, 03:59 PM
J,

I have about 17 fish and over forty to fifty different coral pieces which over a dozen are SPS. I feed a cube of frozen in the morning fozen in the evening with a 1/4 sheet of green nori everyday. Once week I will feed different corals krill upto 3 tablespoons worth with turkey baseter. I find even this generous feeding pattern keeps everything starved and not over eating. EXCEPT MY FOXFACE SHE A LITTLE PIGGY:smile:
My expierence with rock anemones is the quickest way to get rid of them for good is to use (Tropic Marin Elimi- Aiptas) time consuming as you have to squirt each one but haven't had a problem since

DanG
10-18-2007, 04:00 PM
I usually feed twice a day, some flakes in the morning and a frozen something at night, cyclopeeze, bloodworms or formula 2.

Pier Pressure
10-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Once a day - NLS small fish formula or flake. I, too, have been using reef roids but have not noticed any difference in the corals. Once I run out I will not be buying anymore. The fish do seem to enjoy it, but they get enough NLS. I feed frozen foods in place of the NLS about once every two weeks. My fish actually seem to prefer NLS to frozen food.

Chowder
10-18-2007, 04:08 PM
I feed pallets about three times a week. A Half a sheet of Nori once a week.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-18-2007, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I find my fish love the NLS pellets too.

untamed
10-18-2007, 05:14 PM
1/2 sheet NORI every day - primarily for the Naso Tang, who seems to be the only hard-core vegan in the tank.

Once daily feeding of Ocean Nutrition mini pellets (3 tsps)

Once daily feeding of a chopped mix of: a clam, a shrimp, and some Octopus,Squid or fish. (That seafood mix that you can buy at T&T)

In terms of volume, it might be equivalent to maybe 6 frozen food cubes per day. The blue throat triggers can really eat!

maxxxim
10-18-2007, 07:04 PM
I feed pellets twice a day, just a small pinch each time for my fish. Every other day I spot feed my acans and suncoral, sometimes my hammer with PE mysis. For the filter feeders I give them a mixture of frozen cyclopeeze and reef roids, those are the days when I dont feed mysis.

Do clownfish like nori? I dont have anything else right now, I just upgraded:mrgreen:

Delphinus
10-19-2007, 03:40 AM
My clowns have never taken to nori, but that probably doesn't mean all shun it. The tank they're in gets nori maybe once every week or so for the CC stars they share their tank with.

I feed once per day, some frozen mysis (1 teaspoon or 5ml approx), some flake or pellets (I cycle through a different one each day), and about 1/8 sheet of nori. I wish I could feed the frozen a little less because it's pretty rich stuff but it's the only food (besides clams or oysters or mussels) that my CBB will eat. (I've tried everything on him!!). Just so that his diet isn't completely monotypic I do occasionally offer some kind of shellfish from the market. (I'm sure this is real great on the bioload but what can you do.)

eddtango
10-19-2007, 03:55 AM
I feed my fish twice a day, nori in the morning and frozen mysis or ON pellets in the evening. I used "Aiptasia Control" to eradicate Aiptasia on my LR, never saw it again. The product was recommended by Wendell of OA.

Jason McK
10-19-2007, 06:35 AM
So it sounds like I'm right in line with the majority and there has not been some mystery feeding method I have missed. Thanks for sharing all

J