PDA

View Full Version : Removing coraline off of glass

Phanman
10-17-2007, 07:00 PM
This may be a stupid question but I just purchased a used tank with alot of coraline on the glass, I wanted to clean everything off before starting it up and was wondering if i could use a paint removing scraper to do the job? or will this scratch up the glass. My thinking is that is the same as those scrapers u buy at the fish store.

Delphinus
10-17-2007, 07:07 PM
I use water and a razor blade when cleaning out used tanks. It's smaller so you're better able to focus on the whole length of the blade pretty easily (ie. for avoiding scratches). I'd be afraid of scratching the glass by using a paint scraper or spackle knife.

In a pinch, use vinegar instead of water, it should help soften the coraline. Once you get under it though it tends to flake off pretty easy.

MikeP
10-17-2007, 07:29 PM
The last one I cleaned I filled with water and some vineger then let it sit for a while and used a razor blade to clean it up.

Phanman
10-17-2007, 07:30 PM
Thx guys, i was going to use water as well, but a razor blade? thats a pretty small surface area and the tank is 5 feet long (lots of work). Oh well i guess if u want it done right then u gotta do it the hard way. Yea i was thinking a spackle but forgot the name, lol.

Scavenger
10-17-2007, 07:42 PM
I personally went to Canadian Tire and bought a glass scraper. (Bennet brand name??) Anyway it's a retractable blade and handle assembly. The handle is all plastic and the blades pop right out easily and are about 3 inches long. Works great, clean tank, pop blade and rinse the whole unit. Good for next time. bought a pack of refill blades too. I think the whole shebang was about $5.00 or so.

Phanman
10-17-2007, 07:55 PM
looks like ill be checking out canadian tire tonight.

Thx for the tips.

Rippin
10-17-2007, 10:28 PM
Might cost a bit more but if you can splurge for a stainless steel scraper then you won't have to worry about rust on the blade. When taking off the coraline be careful not to scrape the silicone.

digital-audiophile
10-17-2007, 11:31 PM
For my own selfish reasons, is there any harm in leaving the coraline on. I ask becuase I have a tank (that I really need to get off my behind and get running) and it is covered in coraline but I am kinda lazy and don't feel like scraping it.

Tom R
10-18-2007, 12:21 AM
The est and easiest way is with this

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/cleaning.php?product_ID=cl-mrzebl