PDA

View Full Version : Moving/Rebuilding a Reef Tank

Oscar
10-16-2007, 01:36 AM
I spotted an active tank for sale that has sand, live rock, a small amount of coral and fish that I hope to view this weekend.

So earlier today I searched Canreef for comments regarding how to move an active aquarium. This move would be about a 1 hour drive. I have lots of good information regarding buckets, coolers etc.

What I have not seen are comments on piecing the system back together again (this one has a sump).

What steps do you recommend regarding putting the pieces back together. I am assuming that 1/2 of the existing water will be moved and that I will add the additional water when setting up.

What should I consider regarding sand, live rock, coral, water testing, adding fish, firing up circulation, heating etc?

Thanks

michika
10-16-2007, 03:33 AM
Get either some color markers, or tape and mark off where everything goes together for the plumbing.

Really there are like 3 big steps to the process, and a bunch of mini sub steps to follow; tear down, transportation, and set-up. For tear down you want to make sure you have enough buckets and a good idea of how your going to pull things out and organize them. For transportation the key is circulation for fish, submersion for live rock, and ensuring that corals don't hit or fall into each other.

Set-up is the most frustrating portion. You tired, your cranky, and you just want it to be done with. Make sure you have a plan and how your going to re-set everything up, and if you can make sure you have new water made up.

You may need to dump the sand, and put fresh stuff down. Keep the rock submerged if you can to prevent die-off. Make sure that the water all matches in temperature and salinity when your adding everything back to the system.

Is there something else your looking for?

Oscar
10-16-2007, 03:52 AM
Thanks Catherine.

I have not seen the tank in question yet but there may not be a sump so the plumbing may be minimal.

As far as the tear down and travel goes the following seems to be a common theme:
- prepare new water ahead of time
- tub and water for rocks
- either leave sand and 1 " of water in the tank or dump all of the sand and start again
- cooler(s) for fish and corals
- plastic garbage can with garbage bag for water
- when arriving home aerate and heat both the rocks and fish

But then what are the best steps for putting everything back together? I suspect if I am dumping the sand then getting new sand into the tank is the first step? Then balance the ph, temp and salinity of new water and old?

Then place rocks and coral? Wait a day or two to add fish?

How long can fish and coral be kept in a temporary facility such as a cooler?

Thanks

michika
10-16-2007, 03:58 AM
I would say assembled everything, put sand back in the tank, then add all the water you currently have, add in your rocks, then corals and finally fish. After that SLOWLY add in your new water if you need to.

For new water match the SG, and temp. Don't focus too much on the pH, or other parameters. You may be best off trying to use the same salt as the original owner.

I wouldn't advise more then a few hours, and even then with a portable air pump to oxygenate the water. With temporary things like this you are most concerned about temperature and oxygen saturation. I know fish get shipped in plastic bags for much longer, but I like to err on the side of caution.