PDA

View Full Version : algae in new tank

Melina
10-15-2007, 09:26 PM
My tank is 1 1/2 months old, and currently there is a huge bloom of green filamentous/hair algae on all the rocks, the glass, everywhere. I hear that an algae problem is a sign of something wrong with the system, ie., too many nutrients, phosphates, etc. Then I read that such an algae bloom is normal in a new tank, and just a part of the cycle? Is this bad, or normal? Should I be worried? What if anything should I do? I only use RO/DI water, my nitrates are <5. I was thinking about getting a phosban reactor. What are your experiences with green algae in a new tank set up? How long can I expect this to last? It looks so unsightly.

Der_Iron_Chef
10-15-2007, 09:30 PM
I think that hair algae is par for the course, as far as a new(er) tank is concerned. I would hazard a guess that most people have battled it, particularly within the first six months.

I think phosphate reactors are effective lots of the time. What is your photoperiod? What kind of livestock to you have? How much, what and how often do you feed?

marie
10-15-2007, 09:34 PM
It is part of the cycle because of all the dead things in the rock releasin nutrients. But you should jump on it fairly quickly.
I would do a large water change syphoning out as much of the algae as you can at the same time. Then crank up the protien skimmer, run a phosphate reactor and if you haven't already done so get a good clean up crew

untamed
10-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Nitrates and Phosphates. Phosphates can be eliminated with the Phosban reactor you've already considered. Although you can't measure much nitrate, that is likely because all the algae is consuming it.

Maximize your skimmer to eliminate the N before it becomes nitrate. Use a refugium to grow macroalgae in a place where you can easily harvest it.

Manually remove as much hair algae as you can and be patient.

Melina
10-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Currently my photoperiod is 10 hours but I'm considering shortening that. I've got an assortment of snails for a clean up crew and a tuxedo urchin but I've only had them 3 days, so they haven't made much of a dent yet. I have 2 picasso clowns, & 2 cleaner shrimp. I feed twice daily, as much as the fish will eat in 2 minutes, which isn't much. I'm considering getting a sea hare or 2.

How do you "crank up" a skimmer? I have it running with the foam level where they suggest (half way up the collection cup), I'm not sure how to make it run better. I am going to get a phosban reactor. I'm doing weekly water changes, 10-15%. Is that enough or should I do more?

I am removing the algae manually, as much as I can, every couple days. It just keeps coming back.

Melina
10-15-2007, 11:52 PM
Oh and we are planning to add a refugium to the system. In the meantime do you think I could put a light over my sump and just throw some chaeto in there? Would that help?

Tarolisol
10-16-2007, 06:48 AM
I would suggest shortening you photo period. Hair algea, i find is not a typical algea to find on course with a new aquarium. Also a little water change wont hurt.