PDA

View Full Version : multiable tangs

whiteice669
10-15-2007, 07:03 AM
who has more than one tang of similar shape in there tanks, am looking to add a tang to my tank which already has a yellow tang, what would be a good mate for him ?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-15-2007, 07:21 AM
What size tank is it? I have usually had multiple tangs in my tanks, but at the same time, I've also usually had multiple tanks so I could move them around if necessary. In my 210g reef right now, I have 2 YT & 2 Hippo tangs. I find that YTs leave Hippos alone, since they are a different shape & colour. However, I wouldn't recommend multiple tangs in a med. or small tank.

whiteice669
10-15-2007, 07:30 AM
my YT is in a 180, am looking to and a RS sailfin, purple tang or a powder blue or at least that is what I think I want

Chin_Lee
10-15-2007, 03:29 PM
it all depends on the demeanor of your YT and of your new additions. I've had some YT that were just ba$t@rds and others that could care less what else was in the tank with him.
The factors that needs to be taken into consideration:
How long have your YT been in the tank?
Are you able to remove the YT for a period of time while you allow your new additions to acclimatize?
What size PT,PB,SF are you planning to buy?
do you have a qt tank?

My opinion is IF all three fish are equal or slighly larger than the YT and if you put all three fish into the tank simultaneously, you should be fine although the potential for an ich outbreak would be very high. PT, PB and SF are all very tough fishes but depending on their health when you acquire them, they will need to acclimatize to the new surrounding and gain strength before the battle for dominancy commences. So I would suggest not buying them the day they arrive at the pet store after being in bags for 12-24 hours. If the LPS store agrees or if you have a QT tank, put all three fish into a tank and let them figure out their rank. Keep an eye on them for a few weeks and when they are all healthy & strong, throw them into the 180. If the YT is really mean, then the bullying will be shared by the three new fish until your PB gets into spastic mode and kicks the poop out of the YT :)

cav~firez22
10-15-2007, 03:47 PM
I have a 135 gallon, with a 6" YT, 6.5" Scopas, 4" RS Sailfin, and 7" Naso. Shortly i will be adding another Blond Naso (Male), and a 5 - 7" Powder Blue.

All my tangs get along, after the first couple hours of the YT establishing dominance.

RicePaddy
10-15-2007, 07:00 PM
I have a Yellow and a Purple tang in a 72 Gal tank. They are both around 4 inches and get along great. They are always swimming together and race side by side through the tank. I see no signs of nipping on either of their fins. But like everything in this hobby, everyone has separate experiences.

Will

digital-audiophile
10-15-2007, 07:22 PM
I have a Purple Tang and a Regal Tang in my 90. I've had my PT for almost 2 years and I added my RT about 6 months ago. I got me regal when he was the size of a loonie so the PT didn't bother with him at all.

whiteice669
10-15-2007, 10:19 PM
ok thks for the replys, I think I'm going to try a purple tang, time will tell I guess

fishoholic
10-16-2007, 01:21 AM
We have a 120g with a 8" sailfin, 5" yellow tang, 7" regal tang, 3" lavender tang. They all get along fairly well and they were all introduced at pretty much the same time. We tried to add a 5" scopas tang about 6 months later and our yellow tang attacked him relentlessly. Luckily within a couple of hours we were able to remove the scopas tang and give him to our friend who has a 90g. I think if you are going to have two tangs who look alike and are roughly the same size you need to introduce them at the same time. I think this helps them have a better chance of getting along. In my experience, if the fish are similar looking, and if one of the fish is already established in the tank, it is likely that she/he will attack the new one. I would recommend getting a regal or lavender tang to go with your yellow tang, because of their different shape I believe it will be easier for them to get along.