PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts of Local Fish Stores

JPeach
10-15-2007, 07:00 AM
Hey all,

Which is your favorate local fish store and why? ( modified from orginal topic as per suggested )

Mine:

Golds - Extremely Intelligent staff- always getting new things in.
Wai's - Extremely Helpfull staff lots of corals and fish, salt water only

Thanks

Pan
10-15-2007, 07:52 AM
This post is just going to stir up unwanted crap you know :)

As for dead fish, i've seen them in every saltwater store I have ever been to. moot point there.

As well i have seen every store mentioned above with dirty looking tanks at one time or another. Along with flatworms, redbugs etc...

As well as staff in bad moods at everyone, somedays if you are not spending a lot of money they are all unwelcoming, but they are in business to make money. Everyone has a bad day. I think where you shop is a personal choice mostly, which is why most people shop at a lot of stores rather than stay completely faithful to one, as well as online etc..

I will agree on the prices at wai's, he is higher priced but I have seen some nice things there.

You did miss ocean city, down from..or up from depending on your perspective of wai's
They have a lot of fish and corals depending on when you visit, as well qaulity depends as well (mostly coral) most times fish seem okay. Seem to have a good supply of inverts at most times.

Der_Iron_Chef
10-15-2007, 11:34 AM
I'm pretty sure store/vender reviews aren't allowed here on Canreef! You might just ask where people shop and why.

Cheers.

saltynuts
10-15-2007, 03:43 PM
this will not be good.
let the battle begin.
mods are standing by.
but i like golds,wai,s they have nice corals and fish,supplys.

Zoaelite
10-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Im personally a massive fan of Colby at elite. Although he doesnt have the LARGEST selection of fish when you need some thing he's always there for you (Im sure he loves me too with all of the bartering ive done on him). Ive had great experiences with golds also. The only Calgary vendor that I no longer go to is Riverside (They have amazing stock and a few GREAT people there but I just got brushed the wrong way and was given HORRIBLE info 2 or 3 times just so that a sale could be completed.

Levi

Murminator
10-15-2007, 04:19 PM
this will not be good.
let the battle begin.
mods are standing by.
but i like golds,wai,s they have nice corals and fish,supplys.

Yeah I hate to say I'm with Ed Fish stores are like car dealerships ask a 100 different people get a 100 different answers
it will turn into a bashing thread

ponokareefer
10-15-2007, 04:58 PM
I have had good luck at Golds, and won't mention the one I didn't have good luck with. Does anyone know if any of the stores in Calgary quarantine the fish they get from shipments for a minimum of 2 weeks? Every store in Calgary I have ever inquired at only quarantine them for a couple of days. I know Aquarium Illusions in Edmonton holds their's for a minimum of 2 weeks, and if they are not in good health, hold them in quarantine until they are healthy for at least a week.

digital-audiophile
10-15-2007, 05:47 PM
I'm sure most stores would like to quarantine their fish for a longer period of time but space does not allow it for it. I think it is our responsibility as the consumer to choose our livestock wisely based on what we see in a vendors tank and take the appropriate quarantine procedures at home to ensure that we are not adding anything to our tanks that we do not want to.

albert_dao
10-15-2007, 06:17 PM
I have had good luck at Golds, and won't mention the one I didn't have good luck with. Does anyone know if any of the stores in Calgary quarantine the fish they get from shipments for a minimum of 2 weeks? Every store in Calgary I have ever inquired at only quarantine them for a couple of days. I know Aquarium Illusions in Edmonton holds their's for a minimum of 2 weeks, and if they are not in good health, hold them in quarantine until they are healthy for at least a week.

Gold Aquariums does that. As some of you already know, we will hold a fish for as long as it takes to get healthy.

ponokareefer
10-15-2007, 07:12 PM
I agree with you 100% Greg. I'm not saying that I want the pet store to act as my quarantine tank. I've read online that it is extremely hard on fish if they are shipped to a pet store, sold in a couple of days and then taken to a new tank. The fish's chances of survival are not good because of all the moving around in a short period of time. If they are brought into a pet store for at least a couple of weeks, it gives them time to settle down. To me, it made sense.

Tarolisol
10-16-2007, 06:29 AM
I support many stores but some are better then others, the store i support the most is..................aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh wait no stop........aaaaaahhhhhhh

Skimmer Juice
10-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Golds does an awsome job of not letting you leave with a sick fish. I have been turned down on some fish due to the fact the fish was not healthy. Gold's all the way not saying the fish is perfectly healthy but they do the best job of getting you a healthy fish, like digital said it is are responsibility to also qt the fish at home to prevent outbreaks. I know all fish stores will have some dead fish and aptasia, but the thing that seperates gold's from the rest is they wont lie to you to make a sale. Sometimes I will ask ? I already know the answer to just to see how honest some vendors are.

Tyson
10-16-2007, 07:24 PM
i get good service and stock from both gold's and ocean city, my 30gal is a product of both places.( my gallery)

Aquattro
10-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Just tagging along.....

Doug
10-16-2007, 09:56 PM
Just tagging along.....

:lol:

danny zubot
10-17-2007, 05:00 AM
I like Elite because of Colby and it's location. I also like Gold's because of the variety, but it's further away. Then Wai's for it's selection too, but its rarely worth it to venture that far away. I haven't been to the other stores in soo long because of their distance that I can't comment on them.

See, nothing bad to say about anyone, except for how far away I am from them.:biggrin: