PDA

View Full Version : preferred method of shipping from the US ?

snarkys
10-13-2007, 05:20 AM
I am just curious what the preferred method of shipping is from the US .

who's rates are the best , who charges the lowest brokerage fees , fastest service and best tracking ?

fortheloveofcrabs
10-13-2007, 05:31 AM
I'm not sure, but I can tell you that UPS is the worst shipper around. I am a pretty calm, level headed guy, but I HATE UPS. I've had things shipped to me 5 times (never my choice) and EVERY time it has been a nightmare. Including the time they put my live rock from Vancover on a train (of all things??!?) to Winnipeg... I'm in Edmonton.... WFT?!?!?!

Delphinus
10-13-2007, 05:39 AM
USPS is the most economical by an order of magnitude. You might pay about $5 in brokerage fees.

UPS charges a flat rate of $50. It might have gone up since I used UPS last, as it's been a while. Flat rate means it might be a good deal if you have several hundred dollars worth of stuff coming, but under $100 or thereabouts it becomes a horrible deal. I learned this the (very) hard way when I ordered a $20 fogger for a terrarium some years ago, thinking I got such a great deal because they were $40 locally, and then I had to pay $50 in brokerage when it arrived. Lesson learned.

Fedex, I think it might also be a flat rate, not sure, been a while.

Either Fedex or Purolator uses Peace Bridge Brokerage, who bills you separately. Again something I learned the hard way. Package arrived C.O.D., so I thought when I paid that fee, that I was done. Nope. Something like 3 months later I got an invoice for $80. Of course I had forgotten by that point that I had ordered something, and the invoice just said for "customs brokerage" so I had no clue what they billing me for. So naturally I ignored it, thinking it was a scam or something. Then I got another letter from PBB and this time the tone was somewhat nasty. But at least in their angry threatening tones they did mention what the brokerage was for. So I paid them and said in MY letter with the cheque "next time put some more details down about what you brokered." (I mean sheesh, come on, really.)

Anyhow I always ask for places to send me things (it doesn't matter what it is - aquarium stuff - books - camera stuff - bike stuff - whatever) via USPS whenever feasible. But not all places will - if they offer a discounted rate on Fedex or UPS or whatever, it's usually because they have a deal to single-source their logistics with that company - so they're obliged to not offer any other methods. Something to watch out for. Again, sometimes it's not a big deal but when ordering smaller, less expensive things, that brokerage can really turn a good deal into a not-so-good deal.

Delphinus
10-13-2007, 05:45 AM
Welcome to Canreef BTW :)

Veng68
10-13-2007, 07:08 AM
Lucky for me I am close to the border so I get it sent to a place near the border and pick it up :)

Sometime free shipping within the US :)

But if I have to have it shipped up here...... USPS all the way.

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

Drock169
10-13-2007, 07:20 AM
Getting Live stuff shipped from the states, I prefer Fedex, however you're looking at 95US for overnight + customs on it. If your just looking at rates on shipping equipment, USPS is the cheapest but also the slowest, looking at 6-10, sometimes you can get a decent rate on Fedex ground and sometimes its around 4 days shipping

Bryan
10-13-2007, 07:43 AM
UPS does not charge a flat rate. Here is their rate scale. Fedex is roughly the same.

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html#Entry+Preparation+Charges

EmilyB
10-13-2007, 08:13 AM
I always choose USPS for shipping.

However the UPS guy told me (after a huge charge on some lighting I had shipped) to have it shipped expedited, to save customs having to check at this end.

Rippin
10-13-2007, 01:26 PM
I always choose USPS for shipping.

However the UPS guy told me (after a huge charge on some lighting I had shipped) to have it shipped expedited, to save customs having to check at this end.

Another vote for USPS. If they can't send by USPS then don't buy from them.
I would only use UPS if it's a big ticket item - something in the $1500+ range.

As a note: UPS Expedited service is usually more than 3 times the cost of the standard service, and in the end, might be more expensive than standard service + brokerage charges.

snarkys
10-13-2007, 01:28 PM
so the brokerage is by far the cheapest with USPS . what about the actual rates , are they substantially cheaper as well ? is there a size package where USPS is no longer cheaper ?

snarkys
10-13-2007, 01:37 PM
has anyone used can post border free from the US ?

looks like they dont charge any brokrage fees at all . http://www.borderfree.ca/en/consumers/shop/browse.jsp?cat=5

Rippin
10-13-2007, 01:44 PM
USPS shipping rates will usually be less expensive, but there are size restrictions. If the package is huge then it may need to be shipped with the devil servi...uhh I mean UPS.

snarkys
10-15-2007, 09:22 PM
USPS shipping rates will usually be less expensive, but there are size restrictions. If the package is huge then it may need to be shipped with the devil servi...uhh I mean UPS.

do you happen to know what the size/weight limits are ?

Rippin
10-16-2007, 01:26 AM
Sorry, don't know what the restrictions are but you can go to Canadapost.ca and find out.