PDA

View Full Version : What is this??

Funkytone
10-11-2007, 06:47 PM
Hi Everyone,

After a year of planning, purchasing, and lots of reading both on canreef and in books, I've finally started my 75g reef tank and she's up and running. I'm done cycling and going to OA (plug) this weekend for my first additions.

However, I've got some stowaways on the rock and want to identifiy them prior to purchasing anything. If anyone can offer advice as to what they are and if they pose a threat/concern, it would be appreciated!

#1 - white ball.jpg - A tiny white ball, looks similar to a spider egg sack, about the diameter of a dime.

#2 - small-anemone.jpg - I have about 4 of these around the tank, about the diameter of a penny. I looked at aiptasia and this didn't look like it but becuase a couple have popped up since being in the tank, I'm worried they're going to spread fast and takeover.

#3 - large-anemone.jpg - I don't think he's a threat but wanted to get a second opinion. I've since his body stretch up to around 5 inches so far and his tentacles are around 2 inches long.

Thanks in advance for any info!

-Tony

SeaShell
10-11-2007, 06:59 PM
I would love to know what that white ball is.... I have a few in my tank too, they move around and nothing seems to grow where the white balls go......

BC564
10-11-2007, 07:03 PM
I have some of those white balls in my tank....but im pretty sure mine are a sponge.....I couldnt make it out from your pic.....

The large anemone looks like aiptasia......the smaller anemone I dont know

But I'm no expert....

Scavenger
10-11-2007, 07:04 PM
#1 ???
#2 mojano anenome (bad)
#3 Aiptasia (bad)

Jason McK
10-11-2007, 07:11 PM
#1 sponge.
#2 Mojano
#3 Aiptasia

mr_alberta
10-11-2007, 07:15 PM
#1 Keep (Pinapple sponge I believe it is called)
#2 Kill (mojano anenome)
#3 Kill (aiptasia anenome)

Funkytone
10-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Awesome! love the reponses guys!

#1 - I'll keep the sponge, thats a neat thing. Should I "feed" it at all?

#2 - Just stabbed 'em with the Chem-Marine Aiptasia stop, hopefully that will work for them.

#3 - About to kill it but wanted to double check. The picture looks a bit brown but he's really a purple colour..... and I thought Aiptasia was a bit transparent? He's definatley not.

Any thoughts?

-Thanks
Tony

ed99
10-11-2007, 07:31 PM
#3 is definitely aiptasia.

SeaShell
10-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Sponges move around the tank?

EndlessHarm
10-11-2007, 11:43 PM
try peppermint shrimp it worked in my take to kill my aiptasia

Funkytone
10-12-2007, 12:23 AM
Thanks for all the input!

Aiptasia and Majanos are dead/dying and besides the mushroom I have, the pineapple sponge is the second addition to the tank.

Thanks
-Tony

Pier Pressure
10-13-2007, 05:57 PM
So these pinapple sponges - do they have little round indentations all over them, too, kind of like craters in the surface of the moon?

I lost a really nice colt coral, and this big round thing was at the bottom of it. I thought it was just a piece of the colt, but now an exact, smaller replica has appeared several inches away from the first. From your picture I cannot tell if it has the craters, though.

Funkytone
10-14-2007, 06:15 AM
Yes it does have craters. Really small though and no pattern to them just sporatically around it.