PDA

View Full Version : Aggro Clownfish - Long gloves needed

Moogled
10-11-2007, 12:50 AM
I'm getting pretty sick of being nipped at by my pair of Percs when I'm doing tank maintenance.

Do you guys know where I can pick up a pair of sleeve-long gloves to wear while doing tank maintenance? Preferably something thinner so that I can feel my way around.

One thing that comes to mind are those fishermen gloves.

fishytime
10-11-2007, 01:00 AM
Maybe try a vetrinary clinic. Or an agriculture store, like for feed and tack for horses. I have seen calving gloves that basically look like a shoulder length latex glove. I know what you mean about the aquarium gloves, could probably wear them outside in winter.

i have crabs
10-11-2007, 01:38 AM
i bought some of the coralife glove for the same reason, thier a bit thick but work just fine.

Moogled
10-11-2007, 01:48 AM
Cool beans. I'll check them out for comparison - thanks for the suggestions guys :D.

How much $ did the Coralife gloves set you back?

ed99
10-11-2007, 02:20 AM
One of the reefers here in town talked about shoulder length gardening gloves working well. Must admit that I wanted to pick some up but never did anything about it. I think they were made by Lee or Lee Valley gardening or something like that? I can't remember who it was- maybe he or she will chime in.

Weird that percs are giving you that much trouble- I've heard that about maroons and tomatoes, but I thought percs were supposed to be relatively docile. Mine leave me alone!

andestang
10-11-2007, 02:23 AM
Yes try Lee Valley, the gloves are long, fairly thin and priced right(under 10 bucks)

Rippin
10-11-2007, 02:23 AM
The Coralife gloves are nice and sturdy but it's like trying to sew with hockey gloves on. If you want any precision whatsoever, go with something thinner.

What type of maintenance are you doing in the tank where you need to have your hands in there often?

ed99
10-11-2007, 02:29 AM
Ande- where can we find the Lee Valley gloves?

Thanks,

Ed

Moogled
10-11-2007, 02:41 AM
The Coralife gloves are nice and sturdy but it's like trying to sew with hockey gloves on. If you want any precision whatsoever, go with something thinner.

What type of maintenance are you doing in the tank where you need to have your hands in there often?

My tank is fairly small (only 33 gallons) so I often find myself slipping under my liverock in order to siphon out the detritus. Since the percs are hosting in my corals and getting territorial, they often nip at my forearm while I'm trying to get all the gunk out. They'll even make an effort to swim halfway across the tank to get me; I enjoy having them alot but it's annoying enough that sometimes I just give up on the rest of the detritus.

I've been creating a barrier with a large fish net but it only works for about 10 seconds - they always swim around it.

I'll look into the Lee Valley gloves, I'll need something thinner for precision.

Update: I did a quick search on Google Maps; I think this is the place if anyone is interested.

Lee Valley Tools Ltd - more info »
7261 11 Street SE, Calgary, AB T2H 2S1
(403) 253-2066

andestang
10-11-2007, 02:50 AM
Ed, thats the place and addy. They are about as thick as dishwashing gloves. Have had mine for about 2 1/2 yrs and still holding out.

My tank is fairly small (only 33 gallons) so I often find myself slipping under my liverock in order to siphon out the detritus. Since the percs are hosting in my corals and getting territorial, they often nip at my forearm while I'm trying to get all the gunk out. They'll even make an effort to swim halfway across the tank to get me; I enjoy having them alot but it's annoying enough that sometimes I just give up on the rest of the detritus.

I've been creating a barrier with a large fish net but it only works for about 10 seconds - they always swim around it.

I'll look into the Lee Valley gloves, I'll need something thinner for precision.

Update: I did a quick search on Google Maps; I think this is the place if anyone is interested.

Lee Valley Tools Ltd - more info »
7261 11 Street SE, Calgary, AB T2H 2S1
(403) 253-2066

ed99
10-11-2007, 03:02 AM
Ed, thats the place and addy. They are about as thick as dishwashing gloves. Have had mine for about 2 1/2 yrs and still holding out.

Great- thanks.

digital-audiophile
10-11-2007, 01:38 PM
The lee valley gloves are great. Cheap and work like a charm. I found the coralife gloves to be like wearing moon boots :p

Finaddict
10-11-2007, 02:01 PM
called mucking gloves-

awesome for price!
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&p=10264&cat=2,42407,33240

Snappy
10-11-2007, 05:25 PM
These go up to the shoulder.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=8162&cm_mmc=Shopping%20Portal-_-BizRate-_-Fish-_-Disposable%20Gripper%20Sleeve%20(6%20pair)&GCID=C12188x002&ref=3474&subref=AA&ctt=62

I have some I can sell you if you want to try them out.