PDA

View Full Version : Clam question

michika
10-10-2007, 10:55 PM
Okay I've posted this on Clamsdirect's forums but I need a second or third opinion.

What is happening here:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/michika/DSC_0015.jpg

The clam was fine yesterday, and then this afternoon it looks like this.

Parameters:
Sg 1.025
Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite: 0ppm
Ca 420ppm
Mg 1300ppm
dKH 7ppm

Last water change was last Friday. Nothing has been added or changed in the system since then. There was one fish death on Saturday, but it was cleaned up immediately.

Joe Reefer
10-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Does it just stay like that or is it pulsing sometimes?

michika
10-10-2007, 11:09 PM
Staying, but it does close when you move your hand over it. The mantle just never extends. After you put your hand over it it will close, albeit delayed, then reopen, but not all the way.

Der_Iron_Chef
10-10-2007, 11:09 PM
Have you scouted it out at night with a flashlight to see if anything's bothering it?

michika
10-10-2007, 11:12 PM
Nope, not yet. It was only apparent something was wrong about an hour ago. Nothing seemed to be bothering it lately though. Its always quite extended. Granted it is the touchiest clam I down in that it will retract its mantle for anything, a shadow, etc. but its been like that for at least a year since I've had it.

Suggestions on what to do?

I guess I can't post on Clams Direct anymore. It tells me I need to validate my account and to watch my email...well there is no email forthcoming...

Delphinus
10-10-2007, 11:15 PM
Is it gaping? I can't see the inhalant siphon, how open is it?

It .. I dunno it doesn't look good to me. Supposedly if it's gaping, you're better off to put an elastic over the clam to hold it closed, because the weight of the shells pulls the clam open, they get fatigued and this leads to further deterioration. Whereas if they can be held lightly closed, they can rest and maybe stand a better chance of getting over whatever ails them.

I've never tried it though. If it is gaping you might want to do a search and see if anyone else has talked about this method (I'm sure I've heard about it from somewhere, just not sure where or from who).

I'm not sure what else to suggest, sorry. What are the other opinions you're getting on clamsdirect? Have you posted on RC yet too?

michika
10-10-2007, 11:32 PM
The clam itself doesn't appear to be gaping. It just looks like the mantle isn't coming out. Here are some other shots, hopefully these will help.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/michika/DSC_0006.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/michika/DSC_0010.jpg

I've heard of the rubberband thing before, but I've never heard of any success from it.

This is what the clam usually looks like:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/michika/DSC_0054.jpg

Delphinus
10-10-2007, 11:40 PM
Wow, it's really sunken in there.

I hate to say it, but if it's on its way out, .. well 1) there's probaby not much you can do about it at this point, and 2) you'll know before too long - IME it doesn't take long for a clam to go from "looking fine" to "hey, what's going on here?" to "hey, two perfectly clean empty shells! Argh!". :(

But, sometimes, I've noticed with mine, they pull in for a day or two. When my new squamosa spawned, it looked like that for about a day or two afterwards. Looks totally fine now.

So maybe it's something like that.. Good luck, I'm hoping for the best for you... !!

michika
10-10-2007, 11:57 PM
I am hoping for the best as well as it is one of my favorite clams.

I'm just leaving it be for now and seeing what happens. I kind of thought something wasn't right and it was on the way out when I saw it.

This will be the first time I have lost a clam to "natural" causes and not the stupid lunar wrasse that used to be in my 77g 2 years ago. :(

michika
10-11-2007, 12:16 AM
I guess I won't be posting this question to Clam's Direct...apparently I must have a parent sign and fax off a form proving my age. This is rediculous..

christyf5
10-11-2007, 01:59 AM
make a new account with a new email address, hotmail or gmail or something. best to do to get an answer from them quicker, it seems they've seen almost everything to do with clams :biggrin:

You don't see anything along the shell rim that might affect the mantle at all do you? Also is there a chance that something fell into the clam? Have a good look in the incurrent siphon, perhaps some sand or something got lodged in there and its doing its best to get it out or something? Just a thought. I don't know what else to suggest.

michika
10-11-2007, 02:26 AM
I got it all sorted out with CD and have posted my question.

Nothing along the mantle, or the shell rim that may be crediting the problem. I did however pick up the clam and take a look inside, nothing to be found. There was a large bristleworm at its base, and I took care of it. Maybe that was issue, we will have to see.

untamed
10-11-2007, 02:29 AM
Even the "what it normally looks like" photo doesn't look very good to me. That's not much mantle extension in that photo, either.

michika
10-11-2007, 02:46 AM
The mantle is usually more extended the in my "normal" photo. Its probably out by at least another 1". The camera seems to scare it into retracting its mantle.

I was just using the photo to demonstrate that the mantle isn't usually so sunken into the shell.

EmilyB
10-11-2007, 06:46 AM
When I had a clam go that route, I usually found bristleworms at the base. I don't know if they found something wrong there, or caused it. Then usually, the bottom dropped out of the clam shortly after, and demise was rapid.

fencer
10-11-2007, 02:06 PM
I don't think the worms are a the initial start of a clams demise. I am sure she checked for pyrams, but I don't see that happening as the clam has been there a while. I don't know if michika has clams close to this one but if she does the others might be showing the same pathlogy. As she has not mentioned it, that is not the case. I have read if a clams mounting surface is damaged (by moving it arouind) it could comprimse its health

michika
10-11-2007, 02:29 PM
None of the other 9 clams are showing anything similar at all. You're right I did check for anything that could be triggering it.

This clam's foot always looked okay. Granted it never liked to be on rock, and it would frequently move itself into the corner on the sand. This morning it looks the same as it did yesterday, no better, no worse.

briansmyth
10-12-2007, 03:51 AM
Is the clam getting enough light - nothing has changed such as bulbs getting older or having a build up on them?

No bristleworms in the area suggesting that maybe it is already too late for the clam?

No swings in the calcium levels sounds like. Those nine clams must be quite calcium demanding.

My two similar experiences would be one where a pygmy angel was fine with the clam for about six months and then I saw gaping with the clam ... sure enough the angel would take a `poke' at it occasionally - clam has been fine with the removal of the pygmy angel to another tank. The other experience was one where the clam seemed to become malnourished ( maybe related to light ) ... I could not stop that runaway train.

michika
10-12-2007, 04:28 AM
Is the clam getting enough light - nothing has changed such as bulbs getting older or having a build up on them?

No bristleworms in the area suggesting that maybe it is already too late for the clam?

No swings in the calcium levels sounds like. Those nine clams must be quite calcium demanding.

My two similar experiences would be one where a pygmy angel was fine with the clam for about six months and then I saw gaping with the clam ... sure enough the angel would take a `poke' at it occasionally - clam has been fine with the removal of the pygmy angel to another tank. The other experience was one where the clam seemed to become malnourished ( maybe related to light ) ... I could not stop that runaway train.

- The clam got sufficient light. It lived in a shallow tank.
- No pests anoying the clam
- There are no fish in the tank that could bother the clam
- Ca, and dKH are maintained by reactors, there are no chemistry swings

The clam died yesterday...

Delphinus
10-12-2007, 05:12 AM
Sorry to hear it. :(

michika
10-12-2007, 06:42 AM
I did this ---->:puppydog: then this ---->:cry: then this ---->:eek: (the hermits were having dinner....and now...there is this ---->:question: ....

needless to say it sucks to lose something that you've had for quite some time...

fencer
10-12-2007, 07:18 AM
Gad...sorry to hear that....

W

Der_Iron_Chef
10-12-2007, 08:16 AM
Aww, I'm sorry Catherine. That sucks :(