PDA

View Full Version : Durso Pipe - what size pipe?

andestang
01-17-2003, 04:49 AM
Getting ready to plumb in the over flow (single) of my 150g - going to use a durso set up - can't decide on what size pipe to use :? 1.5" or 2 " ? Any suggestions ? Same goes for the line down to the sump.
ande

Canadian Man
01-17-2003, 05:55 AM
How much flow are you planning on putting through?
With 1.5" you can handle alot of flow and 2".... :shock: Well you would need a huge pump.
Do you allready have the bulkheads in place or is this part of your deciding factor as well?

wabush
01-17-2003, 07:39 AM
well - I am using a 1 1/2 standpipe and 1 1/4 the rest of the way...

and it moves a rediculous ammount of water. I have to throttle it way back...even with an ampmaster 3000 as my return.

Delphinus
01-17-2003, 03:55 PM
I might be wrong on this, but, if you're going Durso/Stockman (Stoffman? I never remember the names... :oops: ) don't you want the standpipe to be larger than your bulkhead (just using a bushing at the join)? So if you're bulkhead is 1.5" I think you want a 2" standpipe despite that you will likely be going with a smaller diameter pipe down to your sump below the bulkhead.

2" is huge though. I can only imagine what that monster would look like (make sure you have enough clearance in your overflow if that's the size you end up using!)

DJ88
01-17-2003, 04:28 PM
if I remember what Rich Durso has said perviously, above 1" you don't need to have the restriction/reduction in size for it to operate properly.

andestang
01-17-2003, 08:49 PM
I was going to try a simular setup as Jonathan :D using a LG pump (1250 gph) - if I read right, you need to have a reduction in size at the bulk head and then back in size for the rest of the way for it to function properly.
ande

DJ88
01-17-2003, 10:48 PM
If you are using a 1.5" bulkhead you don't need to go up to or reduce in size at all. As long as there is a bend in the line heading to your sump that will create the backpressure necessary to keep the durso quiet. I had a 1 1/4 reducer in my durso from a 1.5 bulkhead and took it out to see if it operated differently when I was testing my ampmaster3K. No change.

If you are running a smaller bulkhead the reduction is necssary. All you will do by adding in the reduction after the bulkhead is reduce the max flow of your durso. In this case.

Canadian Man
01-17-2003, 10:54 PM
If you are using a 1.5" bulkhead you don't need to go up to or reduce in size at all. As long as there is a bend in the line heading to your sump that will create the backpressure necessary to keep the durso quiet. I had a 1 1/4 reducer in my durso from a 1.5 bulkhead and took it out to see if it operated differently when I was testing my ampmaster3K. No change.

If you are running a smaller bulkhead the reduction is necssary. All you will do by adding in the reduction after the bulkhead is reduce the max flow of your durso. In this case.

Yea I don't have any reducer and it works great.

andestang
01-18-2003, 02:25 AM
thanks everyone - if you would like to prove it Jon just let me know :wink: :D

Canadian Man
01-18-2003, 04:18 AM
I don't know what you mean but sure :lol: :D
You can pop by some time if you want and give it a closer look.