PDA

View Full Version : Moving time and tank upgrade, my plan

DanG
10-10-2007, 04:56 PM
I'm moving at the end of the month from one apartment to another, and the new place has no restriction on what size tank I can have. As much as I'd love to get a 230 or something huge and long, it's just not in the budget at this time, so a 70 is going to have to do.

What I'm working on is:

- buying a sump/skimmer combo. Based off the Reef Octopus skimmers, an all acrylic sump with the skimmer built in, rated for a 150, should be good for what I'm planning
- start running the sump as soon as possible, buying a box of reef bones and 20 or so pounds of live rock so I can get the new rock ready to go into the new tank
- bag the fish, coral and all the inverts that I can grab
- keep as much of the water as possible and have as much NSW ready to go as possible
- I'm going BB on the new one, so I'm not worried about the sand bed on the old one
- new tank will be drilled for an overflow as well as have the back painted

Is there anything I'm missing? Anything I should do different?

michika
10-10-2007, 05:10 PM
How far is the move? You may want to consider buckets over bags for fish depending on their size.

DanG
10-10-2007, 08:59 PM
The move is a 10 or 15 minute drive. There are only 4 fish, a 3 inch maroon clown, a 2 inch foxface and 2 2 inch chromis.

fishytime
10-11-2007, 12:53 AM
I agree with Catherine. A bucket might be a better option. You can put a heater and airstone or powerhead in to keep your fishy friends happy while you do the rest of the work invoved in the move. And one for your corals and live rock as well. I did this when I moved recently and didnt lose anything.Just get things done as quickly as you can and everything should be cool.Good luck to you with the move. Oh... btw tank thread and pics please when you get things set up.

michika
10-11-2007, 02:36 AM
Do you, or will you, have any overlap time between your two properties?

DanG
10-11-2007, 03:46 AM
I won't know till around the 25th or so if I get any overlap.

I have my fingers crossed for a couple of extra days, heck, I'd even be happy with an extra day.

Would the fish in a bucket make that much difference?

michika
10-11-2007, 04:22 AM
With a bucket you can pop off the lid and provide agitation to oxygenate the water if you don't have a portable air pump. It will give you extra time in case your livestock has to stay in their containers longer then planned.

I hope you get an overlap too, I'm sure it will extremely helpful.

andestang
10-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Get some good reliable help.