PDA

View Full Version : Coralspawn

One_Divided
01-17-2003, 04:14 AM
Last night my green Monitora Digitata released thousands of tiny white eggs in to the water column.. This is my oldest sps colony (about 14 months old). I've fragged it, snapped it and moved it many times. It's been through thick and thin with me. Somehow it managed to spawn. I'm not sure what may have triggered it.. Recent changes have been the addition of my calcium reactor and a gradual addition in lighting. I have also been moving the colony around a lot lately.. I kind of neglect it to be honest. I had to trun the lights on to snap some pics of this rare event.

http://members.shaw.ca/limestone2/spawn011503-01.jpg
Overall view of the coral coral.

http://members.shaw.ca/limestone2/spawn011503-02.jpg
A closer shot of eggs exiting the coral polyps. This was likely near the end of the spawn. The water was full of white eggs minutes earlier.. Needless to say, my fish had a good feast!

Any insight on this occurence would be appreciated.

Delphinus
01-17-2003, 04:30 AM
Wow!!! 8) Incredible, you must be doing something right. Thanks for the pics. Just awesome!

StirCrazy
01-17-2003, 04:31 AM
HAHA, now your tank is going to be overrun with Digitata.. a new Plague :wink:

Steve

Acro
01-17-2003, 05:55 PM
Hey Adam,

Thats truly awesome. A great feeling to see, I'm sure. If you don't mind would you please inform us on the litttle things like: room smell, skimmer production and such. Thanks

P.S. Tell me thats not an offspring from me? If it is that would be two for offspring zero for Jamie :(

One_Divided
01-18-2003, 01:08 AM
To my surprise, my skimmer wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary when the coral spawned.. There was a faint coral sort of smell, but not very strong.. I had first noticed the spawn becuase my fish were zipping all over the tank sporatically. When I tracked down the coral that was the sorce of the spawn, I immediately grabbed my camera and hit the lights after trying a few unsuccesful pics with the flash.

Someone on RC pointed out that the spawn might have something to do with the moon cycles.. It's a full moon tomorrow night I beleive.. hmmm

Jamie, I don't think it came from you although it is possible. As far as I know, it came from Bruce which came from a crapola lfs in town called Creatures which probably came from someone like you. The original frag was probably purchased 2 years ago.. Who else had a spawn of digitata? Perhaps yours has before and you missed it..

bongy
01-18-2003, 07:57 AM
I have a yellow encrusting Porities spawn in my tank several months ago. I didn't see the actual spawning events :( but right now I got many yellow porities colony showing up in different area of the tank. Most of those colony are still quite small (around 5 polys in size).

One_Divided
02-03-2003, 06:42 AM
Wow, only 2 weeks later and the same colony is spawning again.. I didn't know they spawned so regularly!