PDA

View Full Version : bringing livestock across the border

farmerjo90
01-29-2002, 08:52 PM
Does anyone know the regulations on bringing fish/coral/live rock/live sand etc. across the border. Thought I might bring some things home while on holiday down south.

thanks

naesco
01-29-2002, 11:04 PM
I have brought fish and soft coral from the US and Taiwan with me in the last year.
Provided it is not on the CITES restricted list it is OK.
Check with The Canadian Wildlife Federation which has the latest on the CITES list.
I also made the vendor detail on his invoice what I bought, the price and where it was 'raised'(if US).
Agriculture Canada looked in the bag and said 'nice looking fish, eh'.
If you are traveling by plane take it with you as hand baggage and make sure it is double bagged carefully.
But be careful what you buy because quite frankly fish and coral is cheaper here. In the US there is more variety and cheaper dry goods if you shop carefully.

UnderWorldAquatics
01-30-2002, 12:01 AM
Basically you can only ship fish and most inverts across the US border without getting into Cities permits. All live rock, corals, and clams will need cities. Its not worth it at all unless you are bringing ove a large quantity! You have to pay for the livestock, rock, ect., box fees, heat packs, transfer fees, Cities permits, shipping, then tax, and you usually dont see what you get till you open the bag. Really its best to support your local stores, then you can usually see what you order and build a trusting relationship with them.
Kyle
"Trying to do my part"

Delphinus
01-30-2002, 02:41 AM
(Sorry -- but pet peeve number umpteen:
It's CITES ("sigh tease") not cities.)

Check out CITES (http://www.cites.org) as well as the CWF for further info. They have a species lookup database there.