PDA

View Full Version : Center Overflow - Size question

Todd
10-10-2007, 06:12 AM
I am starting to plan out a new tank - my tank right now is against a wall, but I would like a tank that I would be able to use as a room divider, or a peninsula (one end against a wall, two sides and one end viewable); as I will be moving in the next year and would like options for future placements. The only way that I can think of that will let me have the tank fully plumbed (I was thinking 4 holes - 2 for overflow (herbie style), one for return, one for electrical wires to canopy) and be able to place it anywhere I would like in the future would be to have a center overflow.

So my question is this, what is the smallest sized tank that you would put a center overflow on, or have seen one on? How wide / long / tall, do you think the tank would have to be so the overflow would look okay and not stick out? Also, would a center overflow look bad if the tank was put against the wall?

andresont
10-10-2007, 08:41 AM
"ReefReadY" center overflows are wide and almost flush wth the back wall.I don't remember exactly but i think it is only 3"(?) inch deep and like 12(?)"wide.
Seen one in J&L on a 120 Gal.

Todd
10-11-2007, 02:14 AM
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about having it in the center, and not near an end - it would be a custom tank. I am just concerned that having a big black box in the center of the tank will look horrible, and even more so if it is put against a wall.

I was hoping that someone would have, or have seen a tank with a center overflow and give me some feedback on what the 'proper' dimensions for a center overflow would be (ie how big the tank should be, for it to look okay).

Der_Iron_Chef
10-11-2007, 03:35 PM
I'm assuming you mean in the exact centre of the tank, not the centre against the back wall. I don't think there's a certain size of tank that's necessary, but keep in mind that at the smallest, the overflow would probably be 6"x6". So I guess you need to figure out how much space you want between the overflow and the glass.

I have been considering this as well for a new project, and would likely build up some rockwork around the overflow, so I wouldn't just have a big black overflow box jutting up in the middle of the tank.