PDA

View Full Version : Finally a use for Aiptasia!!

hillbillyreefer
10-10-2007, 05:52 AM
I was looking at the tank tonight and decided to clean the glass. As I cleaned a sphere of algae fell off the magnet. The ball was about 3mm. As I watched the tank it drifted into an aiptasia. The Aiptasia grabbed it and ate it completley in about 30 seconds. Pretty cool watching. Now if the peppermints would do that to the aiptasia all would be right with the world.

Brad

Drock169
10-13-2007, 05:01 PM
honestly I wouldnt want anything but joes juice going into an aiptasia's mouth. Those things can spread like wildfire.

Boomboy
02-09-2008, 05:53 AM
you know that if you have a seperate section in the sump area before the protein skimmer for apastia they are great filter feeders, just be sure that that whole section is completely closed off and only water gets by but i heard they are great for cleaning.

hillbillyreefer
02-09-2008, 12:56 PM
I've heard that too. Never tried it though. Since I started this thread my peppermint shrimp have devasted the aiptasia. Haven't seen one in months.

fishoholic
02-09-2008, 02:36 PM
I was looking at the tank tonight and decided to clean the glass. As I cleaned a sphere of algae fell off the magnet. The ball was about 3mm. As I watched the tank it drifted into an aiptasia. The Aiptasia grabbed it and ate it completley in about 30 seconds. Pretty cool watching. Now if the peppermints would do that to the aiptasia all would be right with the world.

Brad

:lol: Glad to hear your peppermints worked for you

Fenix
02-10-2008, 07:22 PM
my peppermint shrimp doesnt work. i think its broken.

hillbillyreefer
02-10-2008, 07:30 PM
My peps took some time before they went after the aiptasia. If I remember it was two or three weeks before they went after it, then it was gone over night. How long has your peppermint been in the tank? Oh I had three in one tank and
two in another. That's probably an important fact sorry for leaving it out. I never actually saw them go after the anemone, so I'm not sure if they all got in on the action or if it was just one.

HTH
Brad

fishoholic
02-10-2008, 07:35 PM
my peppermint shrimp doesnt work. i think its broken.

They are hit and miss. The 1st one I bought ate all the aptasia in the tank, after he died I bought 3 more, then 2 more, then another 3 more and none of them ate any of it! Ended up buying a CBB to get rid of the aptasia.

Fenix
02-10-2008, 07:36 PM
I see. well i stopped feeding my tank for a few weeks. hopefully it will start out of desperation.