PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins ...again

Aquattro
10-07-2007, 11:22 PM
Ok, I'll keep this brief, not much to say other than here is day 1. More to come soon.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd101/reef_raf/new90.jpg

christyf5
10-08-2007, 12:25 AM
Woohoo!!!!:mrgreen:

Aquattro
10-08-2007, 12:31 AM
Woohoo!!!!:mrgreen:

Pretty much says it all!! Ya, it's a bit bigger than the 50 I was planning, and Steve has talked me into a basement sump, so lots of work to do. I have to re-work the stand, figure out plumbing, then build the sump room. But it's nice having a tank in the house, even if it's empty!!

Mikee
10-08-2007, 12:32 AM
Cant wait to see the progress! :D

Doug
10-08-2007, 12:59 AM
Welcome back Brad. :mrgreen:

zulu_principle
10-08-2007, 02:06 AM
So I understand, if the sump is going to be downstairs, whats the ladder for ?

Aquattro
10-08-2007, 02:25 AM
So I understand, if the sump is going to be downstairs, whats the ladder for ?

I have to get downstairs somehow!! Ya, sure, I could take the easy route and use the stairs, but you know me, I love a challenge.

Aquattro
10-08-2007, 02:26 AM
If anyone has any great ideas for a corner overflow of some sort, I'd love to hear it. Being a used tank, I didn't get to pick the hole placement.

Delphinus
10-08-2007, 03:19 AM
Wooty! Welcome back Kotter. :mrgreen:

I would do something like what I did for my FW tank (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28505)

Although instead of the external Durso, you could just have a strainer in the box. One thing about the external Durso I did, I didn't give myself enough space for a strainer and I did get a few smaller fish find their way down into the sump (since it is a FW tank, they found filter floss and bioballs - didn't exactly live through that ordeal :( ). But a corner cup overflow would work on your tank, Durso or otherwise.

Or heck, do coast to coast! Leave it with the one hole, or drill another on the other side.

Or just patch the glass ... at the top it's not going to be exposed to too much head pressure so just a 1/4" patch of glass would do the trick. And then you could do whatever ...

Aquattro
10-08-2007, 03:23 AM
Hmm, coast-coast might work, but my return is a seaswirl in the centre of the tank, I'd have to accomodate for that. And I don't want to haul it around getting new holes drilled, so I have to work with what I've got. It sort of has a durso style off the back now, I guess just a box inside would do it. I would like to stay away from that though, as it's potentially a viewing side. I'll look at the C2C...thx

Delphinus
10-08-2007, 04:07 AM
You could drill it yourself, there are some pretty inexpensive drill bits now. I got my 2.5" bit off ebay from a seller in Hong Kong (just search on "glass drill bit"), cost me about $25 landed (auction price and shipping included).

mops.ca also sells them: http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/cgi-bin/category_list_products.cgi?L+scstore+vctx1810ff0ef 20e+1191819023

Just a thought, anyhow. You'd need some cutting oil and a little cutting-oil-hold-in-place thingy (lubricant dam? I don't know what it's called) too of course.

Aquattro
10-08-2007, 05:33 AM
Tony, I don't think I'm up to drilling glass myself, I've seen pros crack it. The coast2coast though is looking good in my imagination, and if I use black acrylic, I don't have to paint the back of the tank. I can design a bracket to hold my seaswirl and all's good!

Chin_Lee
10-08-2007, 06:59 AM
welcome back brad. I'll be expecting you in the spring with clippers and your fancy cooler..... actually forget the clippers, i've got them

StirCrazy
10-08-2007, 02:22 PM
a coast to coast (as built by the guy in Seattle who started them) is two corner overflows conected by a bridge accross the back of the tank. with one overflow it will work like crap and will be a waist of plastic. I sugest a top to bottom black or smoked acrylic corner overflow as small as we can make it. maybe wider so it doesen't have to stick out as far into the tank. Nothing inside, but rather and external durso or something like that. smooth top routed so it is rounded and a eggcrate top to prevent the fishies from getting in.

Steve

andestang
10-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Glad to see you starting up again Brad :)

Delphinus
10-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Well, it's only one option. The longer linear length of overflow means more surface extraction, and since proteins tend to float, I think it's still worthwhile even if there's only one drain pipe. But there are plenty-o-options..

Aquattro
10-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Well, it's only one option. The longer linear length of overflow means more surface extraction, and since proteins tend to float, I think it's still worthwhile even if there's only one drain pipe. But there are plenty-o-options..

Ya, don't listen to Steve, he's crazy :) I think it will still work and then I don't have to see plumbing thru the back wall of the tank.

Jason McK
10-08-2007, 06:18 PM
Great to have you back Brad. I'm sure your results will be spectacular
So are you going to get another Acanthurus nigricans

J

Aquattro
10-08-2007, 07:16 PM
So are you going to get another Acanthurus nigricans

J

Well, I was actually thinking about that last night. I think this time around, an Achilles might be the choice.

StirCrazy
10-08-2007, 10:57 PM

the only reason I don't think it would be the best as the overflow is in the corner of the back wall fairly high up. with a long overflow you will have no movment at one end which gets progressivly increased the closer you get to the actual overflow. so I think it would be spending money on plastic that isn't realy helping.

as for the plumbing... Brad get the same paint I had but black and paint the back wall.

Steve

Aquattro
11-24-2007, 08:58 PM
Ok, still going here. Just brought home my 125g sump. Gonna build a stand for it today or tomorrow, talking to vendor about rock, looking at pumps, this might actually come together faster than Tony's tank :)