PDA

View Full Version : moving my tank (good idea or not)

er.nurse
01-16-2003, 11:55 AM
Hey guys
I need your advice. I am setting up a 35g SW tank. The problem is were will be moving in June (just a few streets away). I was going to hold off on setting it up until we move. However, I was thinking yesterday that I could set up the tank for cycling now. I thought I would put the crushed coral in and the live rock to let it cycle. Then when its time to move all I have to do is put the rock and the water from the tank in buckets and move it over. Then when its all set up I would let it run in its new location to make sure none of the levels spike again, and then I would be ready to add a couple of fish.

Is it a good idea or not??
Thanks.

TANGOMAN
01-16-2003, 03:18 PM
I'd go ahead and begin cycling. No fish are in your plans until after it's moved so no stress factors are involved. The only drawback is the labor involved in moving but hey, ya' might as well get used to that ! :wink:
I've learned that when you own tanks, you find out who your real friends are come moving day !

BCOrchidGuy
01-16-2003, 03:42 PM
I would say sure go ahead and set it up, the move will disrupt your sand bed but it won't be the end of the world, get some 2 1/2 gallon buckets and make sure they are good and clean and you can move your sand and rock, big thing is getting it set up again as quickly as you can. An even better Idea would be to buy a bigger tank and have it set up at the new place about half full of pre mixed newly made up salt water. Move your SB and rock and anything else right in and you can keep your 55 for a grow out tank, a hospital tank or.... well the possibilities are endless.