PDA

View Full Version : Clam Trouble...

MikeP
10-06-2007, 06:05 PM
When my lights came on this morning my clam looked like this. Whats wrong with him? He won't open up at all. I tried to google some pictures/info but didn't come up with much.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q117/MikeP471612/Clam/IMG_0902.jpg

Bayside Corals
10-06-2007, 06:08 PM
Sorry to tell you but your clam is dead.

MikeP
10-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Really? What could the possible causes be? He seemed fine until now :(

Der_Iron_Chef
10-06-2007, 06:51 PM
What kind of clam is that, Mike? And how long have you had it? I've been doing some reading on clamsdirect.com recently (as I've recently acquired my first clam), and have read that the "teardrop" maximas are ultra sensitive. Or as one fellow put it, his "canary in a coalmine". When something is off, the clam is the first to show.

Any pyramid snails? Any inhabitants that would eat it or drop sand in it (like a goby or blenny, etc.)?

MikeP
10-06-2007, 07:45 PM
I'm not to sure what type he is. I got him from another Canrreefer and he wasn't sure either. I've had him for 8 months (he was in my 30g tank before). No sign of pyrimid snails and no fish ever seemed to bother him. Here is a pic of when he was healthy.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q117/MikeP471612/30g%20Tank/Clam.jpg

christyf5
10-08-2007, 12:36 AM
Clams are odd critters, one day they're fine, the next they're goners. I've never actually seen one deteriorate over a couple of days, its always super fast.

Sorry to see that happen :neutral:

Ruth
10-08-2007, 12:46 AM
Clams are odd critters, one day they're fine, the next they're goners. I've never actually seen one deteriorate over a couple of days, its always super fast.

Sorry to see that happen :neutral:

That has been my experience as well - fine one day - gone the next.

Bulltrader
10-08-2007, 01:42 AM
Hi,
I have to agree with the others. Everything thrives in my tank but I've lost 2 clams and it happened overnight for both. The only thing I can come-up with is that I used Liquid calicum reactor the day before. Don't use that anymore. I now have a calcium reactor but I haven't tried a clam yet.

Ruth
10-08-2007, 01:55 AM
I currently have 6 clams in my 110g but I have lost a couple in the last few years. No apparent reason although I am sure that it is just when I start to think "there ain't nothin' to keeping these darn clams":redface: Then phoof - it dies.
So the 6 I have in my tank are very very difficult to keep:mrgreen: I have just been using the Salifert all in one calcium additive but I really have to get one of my calcium reactor up and running as it is getting too expensive to use the Salifert.

MikeP
10-08-2007, 02:12 AM
Yep he's gone now, just an empty shell :( It did happen very quickly. I wish there was something I could have done. At least it's good to know that this is something that can happen to clams. I won't be afraid to try another one sometime in the future.

Thanks for the input everyone.