PDA

View Full Version : Clowns?

IceTurf
10-05-2007, 06:39 PM

marcingo
10-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Try some water changes. Could be ammonia making them dart to the surface.

Joe Reefer
10-05-2007, 07:10 PM
How long has your tank been running?

IceTurf
10-05-2007, 07:13 PM
my tank hasn't been running that long but everything in it is from the tank they were previously in. i also have two corals in there and one coral is slowly fading *yea something is wrong* but very strangely the other coral is turning green on the one section and red on the other, its very strange..so far one clown has died the other one almost died but i moved it to another tank, a holding one and I'm doin water changes

ron101
10-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Need some info on parameters: temp, salinity, ammonia, NO2, NO3, etc...

IceTurf
10-05-2007, 07:34 PM
temp: 76
Ammonia: should be around 0, 0-1, although I should test again
n02 normal
n03 unknown
Other factors:
turned the pump on, they started movin to the surface but swimming well, lookin for food it appeared, then about 20 min later they stopped movin so much

Yestorday, my hermit decided to come out of its shell and couldn't get back in when it tried the next day

Could be when I turned the pump on I burst a bubble algea, but I don't see any and there weren't any last time I checked

IceTurf
10-05-2007, 07:36 PM
oh yea, salinity *i checked 10 times to be sure because it was the only thing which I could think may be causing trouble* is just around 1.023, sometimes when i measure its just below or above, so average is 1.023

I also added extra conditioner when I noticed my first clown died and I moved the still alive clown with double normal conditioner and it so far is alive, moving around a bit in its holding tank

IceTurf
10-05-2007, 07:38 PM
would it be smart to take my not running carbon filter and run it for a bit to possibly clean up the water?

Der_Iron_Chef
10-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Well, it looks like all the inhabitants are exhibiting unusual behavior. The corals are fading, the fish are lying on their sides and darting to the surface, and the hermit crab is exiting its shell...

You really should be testing for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate at this point. Even rock and sand from an existing set-up will often undergo some sort of cycle.

Where are you getting your water? How are you mixing your new saltwater?

ron101
10-05-2007, 07:56 PM
temp: 76
Ammonia: should be around 0, 0-1, although I should test again
n02 normal
n03 unknown
Other factors:
turned the pump on, they started movin to the surface but swimming well, lookin for food it appeared, then about 20 min later they stopped movin so much

You don't want to know what those parameters should be but what they actuallyare. Ammonia and nitrite (NO2) need to be zero or near zero - 'normal' won't cut it. If clowns (assuming they were healthy to begin with) are dying there is something seriously wrong with your parameters.

Need to know this:
- size of original tank?
- how long was original tank running?
- what livestock, how much live rock, and what other filtration was in original tank?
- size of new tank?
- how much live rock carried over, what other filtration carried over, any new liverock or filtration?
- how long has new tank been setup and what livestock was in there before the clowns?

Lastly measure ammonia and nitrite! Nitrate would be helpful too.

Could be when I turned the pump on I burst a bubble algea, but I don't see any and there weren't any last time I checked.

Not a problem...

IceTurf
10-05-2007, 08:03 PM
I took a brita filter *brand new* and let it filter the amount of water I needed. Then I took the right amount of salt *correct type of salt* and added it to the water earlier this week. I then took a hydrometer and measured to make sure my salt calculations were correct, I was a little off but I adjusted this. Yestorday my water was clear and the two clowns went off somewhere behind the live rock, today my water is no longer that clear and obviously, the effects are not good for my livestock. Just today to do the water change I took out about 20% of the water in my holding tank where I moved the clown to *contains same water as main tank* and replaced that water with new, salt water, just mixed. tested it a few times before adding it to the holding tank, disconnected holding tank from main tank and added new water which is room tempurature *same temp as my tank* Yet somehow some of my coral is still alive and some of the livestock such as fan worms and small other critters are moving around in the main tank.

Strangely all the coral that doesn't have that much light on it seems to still be alive*it actually appears after taking a closer look with a flashlight, to have the same amount of color it had when I bought it and the green coral is turning greener* (makes me suspect that my tank is flip flopping around), everything which has light on it may as well be dead. Hermit crap is either dead or not trying very hard to be alive. My clown is still alive amazingly enouhg and every while I add some more conditioner, which has stuff to help new fish. Just for the past 20 min I have had a carbon filter on in the holding tank and then I turned it off, should I turn it back on?

IceTurf
10-05-2007, 08:04 PM
lol I guessed that something was majorely wrong when one died.

ron101
10-05-2007, 08:07 PM
http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

IceTurf
10-05-2007, 08:12 PM
got the very same thing in a book on my shelf, although everything except for about 40% new pure water is from the same store where I got the corals and clowns from. All healthy when I got them. I know I messed up somewhere but I think my nitro cycle is fine *not saying that I could be totally wrong*

IceTurf
10-05-2007, 08:16 PM
hmm one thing i was thinking just now, I got a compact flouresent light and the dude selling me this stuff had a metal hylide, do you guys find that corals go white in areas directly in the path of the light when the type of light is changed?

bubblepuffer
10-05-2007, 08:23 PM
any dead or artificial deco in the tank ? that might release some poison. Is your Hydrometer working fine? those thing sometimes acting weird and way out of scale.

IceTurf
10-05-2007, 08:32 PM
I dont' really have no way of knowing if my hydrometer isn't workin, no there isn't anything fake in the tank, nothing made of metal that I know of and i checked everything before I put it in. Ok nvm about the clowns, last one died as of a few min ago, some coral around the bottom of the main colony i bought still has color, some has color because of coralline algea growth, but the stuff that hasn't been taken over by coralline algea near the base of the coral still has color so there is some hope yet. The other coral has plenty of color since I turned off my light, ok not plenty, but its still fairly green/red and for 2 full hours, its color hasnt gone down. I suppose its now saving the coral, any ideas? Theres no flow, I turned everything except for the heater off. They are acropora corals, one is a large colony, and the other one a fragement. Water looks almost cloudy white.

Joe Reefer
10-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Turn the pumps back on, that is probably the reason your last fish died.

IceTurf
10-05-2007, 08:38 PM
quick newb q, what does the pump do for the tank?

Joe Reefer
10-05-2007, 08:39 PM
So, you want to start a Marine tank… (http://reefcentral.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1)

ron101
10-05-2007, 08:42 PM
quick newb q, what does the pump do for the tank?

Am I missing something here?

http://emcsmileys.com/s/demented.gif

Der_Iron_Chef
10-05-2007, 08:43 PM
I hate to say this, but....we told you so (http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35433). All of the problems you're having, we warned you about in this thread. The unfortunate thing is that, because you weren't willing to do the research and acquire the equipment necessary to sustain these animals, they are going to die.

There is a vast amount of experience and knowledge amongst the members here, and you should make good use of it! Please learn from this...and perhaps someone can get those Acros from you before they die.

IceTurf
10-05-2007, 08:44 PM
ok now knowing that I've pretty much done as much wrong with a reef tank that I could *thinking that it would be stay alive well because everything for the most part was the same stuff at the place where I bought it from*, how should I affectively go about saving my remaining live coral before it turns to a nice white shade of dead?

Joe Reefer
10-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Where are you located in Edmonton?

Der_Iron_Chef
10-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Am I missing something here?

http://emcsmileys.com/s/demented.gif

I couldn't help but laugh at this comment, lol.

IceTurf
10-05-2007, 08:50 PM
btw if anyone is near the Rabbit hill road area I can give you the acro's for a while so that they don't die, the only thing would be once my tank is reset up correctly *hey alright, "i told you so" really fits right now so don't rub it in* I would like a frag of that coral back. Assuming that it survives,

Current health of coral:

Frag: Alive, slightly faded, but pretty green and red

Colony: Pretty dead, hugely faded with small amounts of color left, some small parts near the base are still strong with color, others have false color, gained by the coralline algea, but this is fairly obvious and most of the still alive coral that is near the base, not covered with coralline algea does not have a horrible dead white to it .

IceTurf
10-05-2007, 08:51 PM
think south end

IceTurf
10-05-2007, 08:52 PM
correction, just recently the green has faded so its a mix of light pale green and normal green

IceTurf
10-05-2007, 08:58 PM
correction again, don't bother, the coral may as well be dead. Srry for using u guys time. I'll be having an empty tank for a while so

Good Day to you all,
Lost Reefer

Joe Reefer
10-05-2007, 11:10 PM
That sux.

michika
10-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Are you sure all the corals are dead? They would have to be all white, with no polyps, or pinpricks of color on the skeletons.

If you think they are still alive, send me a PM, I'll pop by and pick the up for you.

IceTurf
10-06-2007, 09:22 PM
hmm srry dude, they did have some color left on them, mostly white, with some dots of red, but I didn't get an email saying someone replied to this thread so between now and then there is no color left :(.
*lesson learned on my end*