PDA

View Full Version : Any "Lion-tamers" out there ?

TANGOMAN
01-15-2003, 06:46 PM
I'm considering future inverts. for my 90g. Will a Cleaner Shrimp stand a chance. Did Lionfish ever learn about "symbiotic relationships" in school ?
A Grouper will allow them to pick their teeth. Is a Lionfish that willing or is it an easy meal ? How about Feather Dusters, Hermit Crabs...?
I'm too cheap and unwilling to experiment.

Quinn
01-15-2003, 07:20 PM
cheap and unwilling? sounds like a good thing to me. i have no experience with this, but i'd say tis better to ask than to waste money and animals. you may as well put a tang in a mayo jar in the back window of your car if you're going to experiment. you'll probably get the same results.

stuff about lionfish, may say something about what they'll do to shrimp:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/index.htm

BCOrchidGuy
01-15-2003, 08:23 PM
Sorry Tangoman but in my humble opinion keep your inverts seperate from your predators. I've seen the pictures of a grouper letting a shrimp clean its teeth as well but I still wouldn't put a cleaner shrimp in with my triggers/grouper/bird wrasses OR moray which I've seen pictures of a moray letting a cleaner shrimp cleaning its mouth too..... I always wondered if after those pics were taken did the shrimp become a meal.

Just my 2 cents worth... I'm cheap too

Quinn
01-15-2003, 08:50 PM
in a past life as a budding marine biologist, i was fascinated by this and other symbiotic relationships. but i agree that it may not be duplicated in a tank, in the same way that clowns don't always host in captivity.