PDA

View Full Version : My turn for a Copperband Butterfy ?

TANGOMAN
01-15-2003, 01:12 AM
So the "talk of the town" seems to be the Butterfly. Yes, I'm partial to that species. Afraid because of of bad experiences in the past :( and now that I want to go reef in my 90g I gave up those hopes. And then I go lookin' at Stephanes' gallery and obviously their compatable. By the way Stephane, that is a very impressive set up. So too is your wife, your home, and that little boat... :wink: . I do have a hard time understanding the descriptions but the pictures say it all... :shock:

So back to the Copperband. Compatable with my Lionfish, Lemon Peel Angel, and one day a Purple Tang ? Oh ya', and that stupid Neon Damsel ?
It sounds like I have guidance here for feeding. The price is right. Bob had to open his big mouth and tell me about the fine lookin' specimens at a LFS in town and they look awesome ! I wanted the Tang next as I'm experiencing an algae problem still. Thats a control not a solution though... I'm confident this tank will clear itself in the near future. The fish will be quarantined for at least six weeks as his his current enviroment is "less than desirable..."
If I can see it feeding I think I want to give it a good home. So, should I throw "the game book" out the window ? He's real purdy :wink: Someone push me over the fence or someone pull me back... :?

ps. Mitch, if your there, what was the time frame in regards to growth rate on that Urchin you spoke of ?

AJ_77
01-15-2003, 01:29 AM
Doug, I had real good luck with mine, but Jon had terrible luck with his. Same species, same store. What size is the one you want? (You sound like you're mostly talked into this - took what, half a day? :D :wink: ) As for compatibility issues, you'll need more info than I can offer, that's for sure. Mine is king of the tank.

Mine was probably 5" when I got it, and it's doing swimmingly. Pics are at my little website (http://members.shaw.ca/reefs/AJ_77/33gal) if you want to push Yourself over.

If I could have one of the angels I once had, I would, but for Reef Safe - coolest fish ever. :wink:

TANGOMAN
01-15-2003, 03:14 PM
Hey Alan, I think your pics. just pushed me over...very nice !
I'm glad you included the word mostly earlier :wink: . I will seldomly make "impulsive purchases" without askin' a few questions from those with experience. I couldn't get to sleep last night as I thought this through. I think it's a good move. I'll ponder this for a bit more. Hmmm. I wonder what time he opens ? If I can see that it is feeding and not doin' the "parasitic twitch" I could be bringin' him home. :D
What is the "concensus"(Sp?) on a fresh water dip to "sterilize" the guy if I do pick it up ? I'm not a big fan of them myself but... :wink:

Bob I
01-15-2003, 04:15 PM
Just a point Doug. When we were there the CBB's did not exhibit any signs of what we will now euphemistically call "WAI Syndrome", so maybe that tells us something. As to freshwater dip. That is not something I often do, but remember that he does not use copper, so it would seem to be in order. When I brought my Lemonpeel home I gave him a 15 minute dip. He is certainly none the worse for wear. :D

There is something else that is also effective. As you plan to quarantine, you could go the hyposalinity route in the quarantine tank. Then a week or so before you move the fish to the main tank, you would increase the salinity in the quarantine tank.

BTW it is Wednesday when he does not open until 2:00 pm

AJ_77
01-15-2003, 04:37 PM
I did not dip mine. Your mileage may vary. IMO, etc...

BCOrchidGuy
01-15-2003, 05:15 PM
Butterflys, wow I wish fish were as predictable as spouses.... um.. forget that thought. I had a CBB then I had no Xenia, got rid of the CBB and got more xenia, got another CBB and seemed fine for about 2 months.. then.. no xenia, no antellia.... oh... I never did get rid of the aptasia neither CBB seemed interested in it.

TANGOMAN
01-15-2003, 06:39 PM
Hyposalinity...? good point. I don't think I like the idea of dipping Butterfly's. 2:00 eh ? Hmmm. I was goona' go earlier today and I decided to quickly rearrange some rock work in the 90g as I didn't like one corner. Stupid me. Quickly ? Like that ever happens... :roll:
My Q tank is ready but I'm goona' talk to Danny and adjust temp/salinity on my tank to match his. To ease the acclimation process. I'm best off waiting 'till tomorrow. "Good things happen to those who wait...?"
He's got a "four-armed" Red Starfish I seen testerday. I'll inquire if it's 20% off...you think he'll crack a smile or simply reply, "it'll grow back."

"Houston, we're go for launch..."

Bob I
01-16-2003, 02:13 AM
He's got a "four-armed" Red Starfish I seen testerday. I'll inquire if it's 20% off...you think he'll crack a smile or simply reply, "it'll grow back."

"Houston, we're go for launch..."

Well if you get him to crack a real smile you are a better man than me. But then again it depends on how much cash you leave on the counter :wink: :lol: :roll:

EmilyB
01-16-2003, 02:38 AM
Well, J&L got some CBB's in last week, and they picked me out a nice fat specimen that was doing well !

He arrived on the flight today, and I just LOVE HIM, and his name is Cooper..... :D

I actually made Danny laugh out loud once...but I can't remember the particular incident. Barry was quite impressed... 8)

AJ_77
01-16-2003, 04:40 AM
I just LOVE HIM, and his name is Cooper..... :D
Cooper-banded Butterfly?? Which tank is he in? How VERY COOL is this!

8)
I actually made Danny laugh out loud once...
Now THAT would be something.

:shock:

:lol:

stephane
01-16-2003, 04:52 AM
Tank for the compliment Doug!

Maybe I will get falme to tell this but it is my own experience over my 10 years in saltwater

Unless you have a very well established good size full of live rock quarantine tank I have found that quarantine a fish give more problem than anyting els

the major cause of desease and death on fish and coral are STRESS
the stress kill by stopping the immune system Fish stop eating and if the fish dont have enought energy fat store in him he will dye soon

I never realy look more on a fish than if he is fat when I buy it! if the fish is fat even full of ick I buy and put it in the reef 2 week later he is recover
99.9% of time no garlic no noting only good food but I let him alone and dont put my ugly face in the widow looking at him to streess it even more
when I introduce a new fish I alway close the light for 12 houre and after
feed the tank severale time a day for a couple of week when I do I open the cover slowly and dont make any fast movement

dont forget to clean the skimmer and tune it the best you can to not strees the systeme with the bigger amount of food

If you buy a copper banded I suggest you to buy misys at the same time
as they are the primary and only food you should give the tank for the next 2 week even if he donteat it at first or he pick at it but dont eat dont change and keep the misys he will eat it if not notting will do! after he will be fat and eat those misys like popcorrn start to
give different meal slowly and he will became a pig just like mine IMO
a CB who eat coral is a ugry CB as they realy like more the prepared food than a coral IMO cleaner shrimp is a realy good addition for desease control and will help

When I buy mine he was full of ick even have nipple like a fungus on the side an dont heat in the petshop tank 2 week after full recovert and eat like a pig. I have also tree tang in the tank and none have getting any ick

IMO the worst ting to do when you buy a fish is ask the store to keep it for a couple of week unless you buy it in a very good store that have condition very good cause they put a fish from the wild between four wall
in poor water full of medication were everyone look at him all day long and knock on the glass and worst of all they dont have anywere to hide it
stress the fish so much he dont eat burn is fat but dont get any desease
since the system is full of médication so he will not dye but will get one soon as you bring him home and dye cause he have not eat for long time ,is immune syteme is completly shut down,he have now no energy fat reseve

Bob I
01-16-2003, 02:45 PM
IMO the worst ting to do when you buy a fish is ask the store to keep it for a couple of week unless you buy it in a very good store that have condition very good

I agree with a lot of points Stephane makes except this one. In the past few weeks I have bought two Royal Gramas from two different stores. One went into hiding right away, and died in a week. The other one looked real good for about eight hours and died in 24 hours. A friend bought five damsels, and a Coral Beauty. All but one damsel were dead in a week.

It would seem to be better and wait a few days before buying, and let the store take the loss as their markup covers such losses.

EmilyB
01-19-2003, 01:37 AM
:lol: Cooper eats like a pig, and doesn't eat aiptasia....... :roll:

Funny thing is I bought four peppermint shrimp as well, and put them in a critter keeper with some aiptasia rock and they just mowed it down, in fact we think they grew overnight.... :? 8)

He's in the 45g "aiptasia tank" for now Alan. He seems a lot like Spike, very friendly. :D Except he hasn't gone for the polyps on the colt coral in there......Spike for sure would have. (Spike is a blackback butterflyfish for those who don't know him).

I'm thinking he'll end up in the 155g at some point soon. It's a lot more peaceful in there now that the clown tang moved to Dez's.

AJ_77
01-19-2003, 01:53 AM
I think he'll be spectacular in the 155. Hard to do better than that.

(Not eating aptasia?? What does he prefer?)

EmilyB
01-19-2003, 02:11 AM
Mysis so far.

I tried to get some Marine Cuisine today (it is awesome and has mysis in it as well, it's what my mandarin first took a liking to) but I guess I have to go up to Pisces for some.

But if he's like Spike, he'll be on homemade and OSI in no time, I hope. Tried any spirulina flake with yours at all Alan?

AJ_77
01-19-2003, 04:08 AM
Spirulina? Veggies? No... pretty much a strict mysivore.

You? I'm under the impression that these are carnivores. Mine certainly won't touch any flakes that float by, but Stephane tells of training his to eat some flake.

EmilyB
01-19-2003, 04:45 AM
Well, any carnivore gets the guts of his prey, the omnivore... :lol:

I just wondered, because even the triggers go for OSI, and Spike will eat it out of my hand... :?

BC_Grl
01-19-2003, 08:57 AM
Stephane: I let him alone and dont put my ugly face in the widow looking at him to stress it even more

Aw c'mon. I can't help it. I am so excited when I get something new, I want to look at him (or her). Even when Andy says that I am scaring the poor thing...

stephane
01-19-2003, 01:32 PM
Alan my CB is now eating the formula one flake food alone I dont have to soak it in instan algea and selco :D

but if your already know they dont taste good it will be maybeharde since he will not even touch at it anymore you have to soak them first so that way the fist time he will taste those flake he will like them and record they are good

mine eat the flake but only in my hand! if I drop the flake in the tank he dont touch it cause I have try first to give him the flake not soak I try them severale time but dont like them so now he dont even look at it

Here is wath I do I alway give the froozen food by hand so I said I will trick him by soacking those flake and then give him by hand at first he was tasting them but dont eat. After alternating from frozen to soaked flake he finaly develop a taste for it and eat it them I stop soaking the flake and he still eat but not if I drop them on the water (he dont even taste it) now I have to learn him to eat it not only from my hand a bit tricky :D

AJ_77
01-19-2003, 09:17 PM
Stephane, I think that's more effort than I put into teaching my kids to spoon-feed when they were babies. I hope that a mixed carnivore diet will be enough for him.

Perhaps EmilyB will make small amounts of her own blend commercially available... Wait, I don't think I want to know the price. :shock:

EmilyB
01-22-2003, 01:34 AM
Perhaps EmilyB will make small amounts of her own blend commercially available... Wait, I don't think I want to know the price. :shock:

:lol: I'd never give it to anyone, cuz then they would say their fish died cuz they fed it my food.... :lol: :roll: :P

Cooper devoured the homemade food today :D. And not a single aiptasia..... :lol:

AJ_77
01-22-2003, 04:07 AM
Cooper devoured the homemade food today :D. And not a single aiptasia..... :lol:
Gotta love 'im!

8)

EmilyB
01-27-2003, 01:58 AM
I think he'll be spectacular in the 155. Hard to do better than that.

On second thought, I think I may definitely NOT do that, as I get to know him more. :wink:

He hangs out with a very calm valentini puffer, and I can't see him coping with the tangs....at least for a long while.

He is a very 'different' butterfly than spike-o-saurus-rexus....

I just switched a couple rocks tonite and there was a colt coral on the rock (Josh, you remember this one :wink: ) Cooper never bothered it at all, and Spike ate it. Yes I think ATE IT, all in one sitting.