PDA

View Full Version : filter sock affecting protein skimmer?

Melina
10-02-2007, 07:12 AM
Hi, if anyone can help me understand what happened today, and help me fix it, I'd really appreciate it.

I put a 100 micron filter sock on the pipe in the sump that drains my overflow. (65g, 20g sump) Immediately, my protein skimmer (EuroReef RS-100 in sump model) went nuts. Started producing an insane amount of microbubbles which were taken up by my pump and filled the display tank. I should let you know that this is a new set-up, only a month old. I've been blowing my live rock with a turkey baster and there was/is a large amount of debris in the tank and sump, which is why I got the filter sock. I took the sock off, let the skimmer run normally for about a half hour without the sock, it was still producing the microbubbles.

Prior to adding the filter sock, my protein skimmer was working normally, producing a small amount of skimmate (I have no livestock yet) I was able to adjust the water level in the skimmer and also the amount of bubbles in the body of the skimmer (with the air control valve at the end of my air intake tube). Now, no matter what I do, or how I adjust, there is still a crazy amount of microbubbles in the body of the skimmer, which are ejected with the water that exits my skimmer. I can't adjust it the way I did before. Will it settle down eventually? Anyone with any ideas of what happened? Spoke to my dealer, he suggested to let the skimmer run for a couple hours without air, just water. Did that. Also suggested I dip the end of the air intake tube into some warm RO/DI water to clean out any possible salt crystals in the venturi. Did that. No difference. Any ideas of what happened or what to do next? The microbubbles are making my main display tank look so cloudy and awful.
Thanks.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-02-2007, 07:27 AM
Could it be that the filter sock had something on it that caused the reaction? I use them constantly & I know several other reefers who do as well with no bad side-effects like this.

Melina
10-02-2007, 07:30 AM
Could it be that the filter sock had something on it that caused the reaction? I use them constantly & I know several other reefers who do as well with no bad side-effects like this.

It was fresh out of the box from J&L Aquatics (had it shipped to me), I didn't put anything on it, I didn't lay it anywhere where it could have gotten dirty or anything... no...

Renegade
10-02-2007, 08:23 AM
it could just be b/c the sock was new, theres just something on the fabric, may take a day to break in the sock, i'd just toss it on and let it go for a couple days and see if it comes down. Patience. I vaguely remember my euro reef doing the same thing when i first got it. bubbles poured out of the exit of the skimmer into the sump and then back up the return. I'm not sure weather it had anything to do with my filter sock, never really made the connection but everything settled down in the end.

Kyle

Pescador
10-02-2007, 08:34 AM
I just had a similar reaction with new filter socks. I use a set of three 7" socks and just purchased a bunch in bulk. The first set I rinsed in tap water and no problem everything was fine.
The second set I didn't rinse and I got quite a scare. My skimmers started foaming like nothing I've ever seen, thick like soap suds, the foam was standing up a foot high.
I thought my tank was toast. I shut everything down and rinsed them in tap water and started up again, they foamed a bit and then quit. Everything is fine in the tank but I sure got a scare.
What ever it is on the polyfilters foams like crazy but is non-toxic, and rinses out easily.

robzilla
10-02-2007, 12:35 PM
same thing happened with my new filter socks. takes an hour or two and the skimmer calms down.

Melina
10-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Well after a few hours, it settled down, and now, my skimmer is functioning normally. The water is crystal clear and I am feeling very relieved. I wonder what exactly it is that causes the skimmer to act up like that. Very strange! Thanks for the input... I was relieved to learn that others had experienced this as well and that it was no reason to panic. I will be sure to rinse any new socks from now on!

ed99
10-02-2007, 10:16 PM
It could have been just little bits of fibre from the fabric itself. Small particles can have big effect of surface properties of an water/oily substance mix so my guess is that these particles led to the skimmer producing a more stable foam until they were out of the system.

wickedfrags
10-02-2007, 10:53 PM
Will not present a problem, they do that if you do not wash them before use. They should be washed thoguh, warm/warm with no detergent or bleach.

Hopefully you purchased micron bags that do not tie to the pipe, but rather have an internal plastic ring. The ones that tie to the pipe can cuase the tank to overflow when clogged.

Snappy
10-03-2007, 06:18 AM
socks should rinsed well before hand.

edgv
10-03-2007, 08:08 PM
I have used the filter socks from J&L for some time now. Always rinse them in RODI water before use though. When dirty I hose them off, again rinse in RODI water before use. New ones or cleaned ones, they always affect my skimmer, Bullet 1, the same way. To deal with this, I put a filter sock/bag on the out flow line of the skimmer. Works great to control the micro bubbles that come from the skimmer until it settles down.

Ed

robzilla
10-04-2007, 03:04 AM
as for cleaning the socks once clogged, what do most people do?
i've been rinsing mine under the sink till the water runs clear. takes some rinsing and twisting to get the water clear, but the socks don't come out white.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-04-2007, 03:14 AM
I take it outside & hose it down well. Twist the nozzle to the hardest spray & shoot out all that accumulated cr@p.

Pescador
10-04-2007, 06:40 AM
I throw mine in the washer with a little bleach, on whites with an extra rinse.

Melina
10-04-2007, 06:45 AM
I don't like the idea of using bleach. No matter how much I'd rinse afterwards, I'd still be paranoid that there'd be some bleach residue. I first blasted mine with the garden hose, got most of the crap out doing that... then I threw it into the washing machine, extra hot water, no detergent. Worked great, it came out super clean.

Pescador
10-04-2007, 08:08 AM
I was more worried by residual soap in the washer but it hasn't been a problem.

wickedfrags
10-04-2007, 11:15 AM
I was my in the wahsing machine on the setting heavy white, with warm water and a warm rinse. No detergent and no bleach, they get clean enough. IMO, you likely spend way to much time and money trying to keep contaminents out of your tank, no need to provide an opportunity for them to enter the tank.

Snappy
10-04-2007, 02:18 PM
I was my in the wahsing machine on the setting heavy white, with warm water and a warm rinse. No detergent and no bleach, they get clean enough. IMO, you likely spend way to much time and money trying to keep contaminents out of your tank, no need to provide an opportunity for them to enter the tank.
I do the same except I use ultra hot water, our machine heats it up.

mark
10-04-2007, 04:56 PM
For me, pick out the star fish, give a good rise with a hose in the sink and in the machine with a little bleach, hang to dry. No odour after a few hours but don't end up installing a clean one for a few days anyway.

Might try the hot water only but the idea of just basically rinsing a bag full of fish sh*t in hot water them leaving on the shelf, I'm not sure...