PDA

View Full Version : Abs

GreenSpottedPuffer
09-30-2007, 10:45 PM
I have been looking a lot into the use of ABS plumbing in aquariums and am just wondering what people experiences here are with it. After checking RC and doing a whole bunch of searches and phone calls, I have found this info:

-It is non-toxic and some is potable

-It DOES NOT have any algae or bacteria killing chemicals. In fact that would defeat the purpose of sewer plumbing because sewer plumbing needs bacteria to grow and break down nitrates, much the same way it happens in our tanks. This was a rumor I had heard and have now found out it "may" have been done many years ago but not anymore

-It is used in a few "big" public aquarium systems around the world

-Spoke to one guy who has used it for 8 years with no issues

-Many powerheads and other aquarium casings are made of it, including the SCWD's

So, most has been positive. Apparently the only big difference is the pressure it can handle. Its rated lower than PVC which is also quite a low rating. Anyways, just wondering who uses it and how its been? I have not bought most of my plumbing but have been able to find ABS easier and for cheaper. I also love the fact that it is black! Anyone using it now?

mark
09-30-2007, 11:28 PM
Something to watch out for is there's probably going to be some pieces that will need to be PVC, thinking threaded parts. PVC can be jointed to ABS though with transition pieces.

fencer
10-01-2007, 12:38 AM
The only difference is that PVC is pressure rated and comes (at least at home depot) in smaller sizes than 1.5 in

scuglass
10-01-2007, 12:50 AM
i use abs with pvc 45s at the moment... no issues for 2 years. you just need the abs to pvc glue rather than abs2abs or pvc2pvc

SuperFudge
10-04-2007, 02:14 PM
I know people who`ve used it for years aswell, with no problems.

But, i think the real concern was its cellular core, wich likley holds some of the chemicals everyone was worried about.
I guess if some how these where exposed there would be an issue.

But why wouldnt you just get PVC to make sure ?

LeeR
10-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Are you wanting to use it because its black and not white?

If so you can find blackish gray pvc parts.. Id know i work with them all day.
:mrgreen:

GreenSpottedPuffer
10-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Where is the best place to find these?

PoonTang
10-04-2007, 11:44 PM
Black ABS is not rated as food grade, it is used for waste removal. White PVC is food grade and approved for plumbing. Which would you rather use in your tank? I would stick with food grad if i was you.

GreenSpottedPuffer
10-05-2007, 02:30 AM
Black ABS is not rated as food grade, it is used for waste removal. White PVC is food grade and approved for plumbing. Which would you rather use in your tank? I would stick with food grad if i was you.

Make sure you do not add most powerheads, SCWD's or many other ABS made aquarium products then...

I have done a lot of research on this, including contacting one manufacturer of ABS, who assured me it is not much different from PVC and certainly non toxic. I also now know of at least one public aquarium and research facility that all use ABS and have heard of no issues.

And just so you know, not all PVC is food grade, you have to check. The only difference so far is psi ratings which are irrelevant for the amount of water flowing through our systems.

If you have other proof, I would love to hear it though...Especially personal experience because so far I have only heard people who have never used it saying not to and that its bad...Everyone so far who is or has used it, has had no problems. I have found one guy who has used it for 7 years and his tank looks gorgeous!

Hahaha, after saying all that, I was never actually going to use it anyways. I already have most of my PVC. I just did not see why it would be a problem. And it is not.