PDA

View Full Version : Yet another 60G build...

jasond
09-30-2007, 04:22 AM
Hello all

Figure I am far enough into my new tank to start a journal, probably a couple weeks before water. So here is what I have so far, please feel free to make comments/suggestions!

60 gallon rimless tank (internal herbie-style overflow)
Aquactinics TX5 36 in w/moonlights (in need of mounting brackets)
Euroreef RS100 skimmer
DIY stand (doors to be added :mrgreen: )

To be added:
Hydor pump
Hydor powerheads, probably a 2&4....thoughts?
30ish gallon sump
My existing phosban & UV (might drop the UV)

Thats where I am at so far. I will keep it updated as I progress.

Thanks for looking,

Jason

Delphinus
09-30-2007, 05:14 AM
Looks nice so far. :) Who made the tank?

Der_Iron_Chef
09-30-2007, 03:11 PM
What he said :) Lookin' good so far....

jasond
09-30-2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks guys! I had the tank built by Gold's (used Gary I think?). I just picked up all of the plumbing yesterday, so I am one step closer.

danny zubot
09-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Cool. Where did you get your plumbing?

jasond
09-30-2007, 09:48 PM
Same, from Albert at Gold's. He did a good job explaining everything as I am a rookie at this. We will see how it goes once everything is glued and in place for good.

jasond
11-22-2007, 05:24 AM
Well I am finally back at getting this thing up and running...it feels like this has taken forever! I will be getting an eheim 1250 for flow (hopefully this week) and then it is time for a leak test, and get things running smoothly. I will be using Koralia pumps to start, but will eventually get a couple Tunze's. Sump & fuge will be added this week as well.

Anyways just wanted to add my tiny bit of progress. Once it is up and running I will add pics of the new set up.

Wish me luck! (I will need it!)

Jason

jasond
11-28-2007, 10:09 PM
Well I am finally up and running....well just straight water but its a start! As for the plumbing, that was fun! Will definately be easier next time now that I have done it. Not sure if you can tell from the pics, but I didnt come across an old post of Tony's till about halfway through, in regards to clear primer/glue:lol: at western pump (better late than never!) Most of the visible parts are clear, just some of the hidden ones are purple.

A bit finicky with getting the water level constant with the herbie overflow, but I have been reading lots on RC and seem to have it fairly steady. I have a ball valve on there, and I think a gate valve would have been easier. For anyone starting, it is dead silent, and no microbubbles, a thanks to Albert for getting me set up.

How do you guys/gals attach your filter sock? This way works for now, but I assume there is a better way?

Anyways, any comments/suggestions please done hesitate!

Jason

jasond
11-28-2007, 10:11 PM
pics

Der_Iron_Chef
11-28-2007, 10:31 PM
Right on, looks great. Nice and clean! Love the rimless look (if I'm seeing that correctly).

Myka
11-29-2007, 01:39 AM
Hydor powerheads, probably a 2&4....thoughts?

You're building a very similar tank to me. :D Mine's a 65 though, same skimmer, similar lighting. Different pumps though. I'm using a Poseidon PS3 for return. I am not using overflows...waste of space if you ask me. :P Regarding the Hydors, I would suggest two Koralia 3's...maybe a third. Depends how you're arranging your rock. I always keep my rock off the back glass and use a third powerhead to blast behind the rocks.

Skimmerking
11-29-2007, 02:20 AM
Simple is always SWEET well done man like the clean simple look.

rigger11
11-29-2007, 02:23 AM
how did yu make the herbi overflow??? can u post pics of it?

jasond
11-29-2007, 05:38 AM
Thanks guys! Look at that, some compliments from ppl with awesome tanks!

Yes it is rimless, I think it looks cleaner, just thicker glass

Myka: Overflow...I think it will be nice in that it will keep the top of the water fresh. On my 20G I find the surface has a very slight film of some sort. As far as powerheads, I am going to use a Hydor 2 &3 for now...but have a feeling Santa might have a tunze or two in his bag:wink: Keep us posted on your build!

Rigger: I will try and take some closer pics, but it is hard for the pics to explain how it works. Do a search on here, and you will find tons of detailed descriptions & a link to the original thread on RC. So far it's working perfect.

Any suggestions on my filter sock??

jasond
11-29-2007, 05:41 AM
Oh, and doors will be added, I just had the itch to get it running :biggrin:

jasond
12-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Transfer is complete! Here is aquascaping try #1. I will probably get another piece or two, but I kind of like the uncluttered look. Once I get some more frags/fish in there it will really fill it in.

Any comments on the rock placement? Suggestions? I am not too good with that part of it. My girlfriend had to tell me to "stop with the bridges" as I like that look :biggrin:

Doors are ordered, just about finished! I have been waiting for what seems like forever to get this thing up, I am stoked!

jasond
12-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Pics

Myka
12-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Myka: Overflow...I think it will be nice in that it will keep the top of the water fresh. On my 20G I find the surface has a very slight film of some sort. As far as powerheads, I am going to use a Hydor 2 &3 for now...but have a feeling Santa might have a tunze or two in his bag:wink: Keep us posted on your build!

My setup skims off the surface without overflows. Tunze's are nice... ;) How are you finding the Hydors? I can't imagine you're getting enough flow...?

Lookin good! :)

My build will be going slow. I don't plan to have water in it for another few months at least. I'm buying some dry lace rock, and doing an experiment of sorts. I'm going to "cook" it in bins in the dark and feed it bacteria, vodka, and ammonia for 3 months. See what happens. It's supposed to make some pretty dang good live rock. My little tank has bubble algae, so I'm hoping that if I use dead rock to start that I'll be able to create a tank that is bubble algae free. No one seems to know of any way to get rid of that dang stuff. It's not so easy like hair algae, red slime, or diatoms!

jasond
01-03-2008, 03:34 AM
I finally have my tank and stand finished (or as close as it is going to get!). Since my last post I have added LR, couple frags, and some new fish! I have a long ways to go in terms of growth, but I am happy with where it is at now.

I have started to pay closer attention to Calcium, Mag & Alk. Ordered some Elos test kits from J&L, refug light (9 in coralife) and a couple other goodies to keep me occupied

Myka: I look forward to seeing your tank up and running! You are right, I dont have enough flow right now. Currently there is a Hydor 2 & 3, and I have another 3 coming from J&L. Not sure if I will replace the existing 2 or just add it. I dont plan on keeping a ton of SPS, but I will see. I am really happy with them, no problems whatsoever. I am having a little trouble getting flow everywhere, hence the bit of cyano popping up. Oh, and Vodka with your LR??? My lord, LR is expensive enough as it is, and your going to soak it in booze!!!! :biggrin:

Anyways, on with a couple pics.

Marlin65
02-13-2008, 05:36 AM
Looks great what thickness glass did you use 10mm or 12mm?
My set up will be similar and I am still debating if to go without a frame.
What is the height of your tank?

jasond
02-13-2008, 05:55 AM
Thanks!

Glass is 5mm thick with no, or very little bowing.

The tank is 21 inches deep. I am not sure what the norm is, but this doesnt seem too bad, unless you have to reach right to the bottom. My arms (and legs for that matter) arent very long, so its a big of a stretch :biggrin:

I have had the tank up for about 4 months. Things I would NOT change:

Rimless..I love it, clean look, no salt accumulating everywhere
Back painted black, still a fan of this, make the colors show up nice
Herbie overflow, nice and quiet

Things I WOULD change (does this ever go away?)

Ext overflow, my internal is kind of a pain with flow, and takes up room!
Gate valve on the Herbie, should have researched better beforehand
Bigger, but that seems to be a common problem around here :lol:

Anyways I should post some update pics, but not that much has changed other than some lovely nuisance alge. Thanks for looking, make sure you keep us posted with your new tank!

Jason

Chaloupa
02-13-2008, 05:57 AM
Your tank is beautiful!!! Love the rimless tank look...very clean!

jasond
02-13-2008, 05:59 AM
Thanks! The trick is poor photography skills....just a couple more steps back :biggrin:

jasond
10-20-2008, 02:22 AM
Well I figure I should update my journal seeing as a couple things have changed. I have added some coral and different fish, but for starters here is some of what I have added over the last couple of months:

Profilux controller w/LAN (Still getting the hang of this thing, lots to figure out, but so far awesome)
ATI T5 fixture (new, so we will see)
Controllable Tunze's & ATO (awesome!)

A couple blue Chromies, yellow goby, cleaner shrimp and a fire shrimp. As well, a stop to Greg's on Saturday for some more awesome SPS frags.

That about covers it, I will get some pics up this week, thanks for looking :biggrin:

Jason

jasond
10-27-2008, 12:38 AM
Not great with the camera, buy you get the idea :mrgreen:

Trigger Man
10-27-2008, 01:24 AM
I like how your tank is looking, great job.

LeeR
10-27-2008, 03:33 AM
Awsome tank! and light... you be lucky to have that light. :lol:

jasond
10-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks guys, still trying to grow out my corals and have it fill in some more, slowly but surely!