PDA

View Full Version : Yellowtail Coris Wrasse, (Coris gaimard)

Renegade
09-30-2007, 02:49 AM
Hey i was just wondering if anyone has some experence with these guys. I really like this guy and am think of adding one to my mixed reef. I would really like to buy a juvi. But i would like some opinions.

Tank:

120g mixed reef, i have a kole tang so i don't really have many snails and hermits. I do however have a 6 line, but i am willing to part with if i decide to get the yellowtail.

Kyle

P.s. i also have clams, grr the more i read the more i think hes not going to work

saltwatermaniac
09-30-2007, 04:17 AM
Hi there yah about the red coris wrasse I believe they are capable of going into reefs as juvis but as soon as they become adults they start to pick on things.

P.s this is only what i have herd my friend has one in a tank with clams and corals but as i said before its a juvi.

justinl
09-30-2007, 04:42 AM
I had a yellowtail coris and it was definitely one of my favourite fish. GORGEOUS, very active and interactive all the time, amazing to see when it decides to dive bomb into the sand (yes, that means you need sand... at least 2 inches deep imo). only thing is that it does jump... mine did... about three days ago :sad: .

I had also heard that they can pick at soft corals when they are older so i threw a frag of zoos and a few shrooms in (it was a fowlr and my fish was an adult). It left my corals completely alone. I think the best way to do it is to find one for sale that is currently inhabiting a tank with coral (that's how i got mine). They aren't easy to catch once they're in the tank.

depending on the size of the 6 line, it might be okay. If the coris wrasse is a full grown 7 incher, then yeah any two inch fish might end up as food, but if you get a juvenile coris, then the 6 line should be completely safe.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
09-30-2007, 05:23 AM
I was really tempted to get a similar fish (yellow or canary wrasse) one too but picked up a smalltail wrasse instead:biggrin: (Pseudojuloides cerasinus)