PDA

View Full Version : <gasp!> What a waste!

Delphinus
01-14-2003, 02:29 PM
Did anyone see pictures of the grow-op bust in Strathmore?? The RCMP loading up their trailer full of ballasts?!

Gaaaaaahhhh!!!!

Sigh ... just thinking about all the (legitimate) CORAL grow-ops those could have serviced!

AFAIK, all the grow equipment seized in a bust get destroyed. I don't think the police would be keen to auction off stuff that theoretically could get used again in another grow-op. Oh well ... :(

Canadian Man
01-14-2003, 03:18 PM
:lol: Just call them and ask if you can have them for Scientific Research!

TANGOMAN
01-14-2003, 03:19 PM
Perhaps you should contact the Police Dept. or someone at City Hall and express your legitimate :wink: interest in some of those products...or is there some fear they may inquire about your past :shock:.
Actually, that would be worth questioning but it would certainly be time consuming and the "political red-tape" would be overwhelming. It is a shame though to see all that impressive hardware get destroyed. You think a legitimate group such as the Calgary Reefers Club would be considered ? That word Reefers would really work against us though... :roll:

Quinn
01-14-2003, 03:34 PM
most of that stuff is sold at police auctions. i don't doubt that if you were to call the RCMP, they'd tell you when and where.

Josh23
01-14-2003, 03:46 PM
That a great idea.
Is someone going to look into this and if so keep us up to date on your findings. If no one else is interested in looking into it I will, Just let me know.
Josh

Delphinus
01-14-2003, 04:01 PM
I know that some things do get auctioned off (I think vehicles for sure), but I was once told by someone that they don't bother auctioning off things like ballasts and hydroponics equipment .... because if they were used in a grow-op AGAIN then it would mean that the POLICE were the ones who supplied the equipment! Ooops.

I guess it probably is worth looking into further ... too bad I don't know anyone in the force over here (My uncle's a K9 officer in Sweden though? Does that help? Maybe he knows someone who knows someone who knows .... Ok maybe not.). I suppose a few phone calls wouldn't be too hard...

TANGOMAN
01-14-2003, 04:10 PM
All right, all right, I'll make some phone calls. This has been eating at my brain for the last hour anyway...
Margos' always told me; "If you don't ask, the answer is always no..." Hmmm... So why is it when I ask she always says no ? :wink:
But I see it has begun to snow so it's a good time to "hit the Deerfoot" and go north to kick around the fish stores...
I'll make a few calls this afternoon and post my results. I need an alias. What's your last name Tony...? :lol:

Delphinus
01-14-2003, 04:23 PM
Ha! ;)

It's spelled S-M-I-T-H

Seriak
01-14-2003, 04:40 PM
I also am going to make some inquiries.

The person I talked to feels that it should be auctioned off but it won't be for around a year as they need to keep it for evidence and all that red tape stuff.

She feels it would still be auctioned off as the purchasers information is written down as to who purchased excatly what.

She said she would check it out though.

We'll see.

Tau2301
01-14-2003, 06:56 PM
I called the police on this very same subject about a year ago.

They said NO. It all gets crushed. Nothing is sold at an auction, because it could be used again for an illegal grow operation.

If it was sold and reused, it would be like the police subsidizing illegal activities.

But then again it would keep them busy.

Might be better investment to buy the houses.

TANGOMAN
01-14-2003, 08:26 PM
I suppose I need not bother callin' then...too bad as I was lookin' forward to all that electronic messaging. :wink:
I just returned home from my weekly, LFS tour. What a waste of gas that was ! I did run into Bob at Wai's so that was worth the price of admission... :wink: Those Copperband Butterfly's sure did look good. Had to get out of there fast. Evil temptation but I must stick to my game plan. (When I figure out what that is...).
I almost bought a small, long spined black urchin. Does any of you keep any of those ? I think they're so cool but I've heard/read that they can become destructive to "rockwork" when they're larger ?

MitchM
01-14-2003, 08:38 PM
I bought a tiny one from Wai's a while ago. He/she/it got so big that I returned him in an ice cream bucket when I moved. Munches on the coralline, but the algae grows back.

Mitch

wabush
01-14-2003, 09:40 PM
tango -

I have a long spined urchin...the spines do get very long..I'd say mine has spines around 6-8" and they are still growing... he munch on corraline, but also on other types of algae - he spent all last night chowing on some macros

they are really cool, probably one of my tank favs right now. This is also because I alsmost lost him in the beginning. Lost all his spines, could hardly move about, just hung out in the corner. But slowly he recovered...and is now super active.

I tried to capture him the other day to see if he would do some pruning in the sump...no luck....they can move quick when they want to.

another plus...they look hilarious when they poop...perfect little spherical droppings.

Bob I
01-14-2003, 11:15 PM
another plus...they look hilarious when they poop...perfect little spherical droppings.

That is why we build doors on our bathrooms, so people don't watch us poop. :D :D :oops: :lol:

I had to get the jump on Deb here. I want to be first with a comment. :wink: :wink: :shock:

kari
01-15-2003, 12:31 AM
I have one in my tank and a small part of one in my thumb again :x

Quinn
01-15-2003, 02:07 AM
they move fast??? ok if a ball of spikes is exciting, i need one. and come to think about it i really thought debs was cool.

Josh23
01-15-2003, 02:26 AM
Debs sea urchine is a really neat looking little creature. Very different from most of the other urchines available at the LFS.

Josh

EmilyB
01-15-2003, 02:31 AM
The tuxedo urchin is a very hardy and comical addition. He keeps taking the thermometer on tours..... :lol: