PDA

View Full Version : need salt info/etc

fishguyxd
09-30-2007, 01:23 AM
I have to get more salt I have been using the Instant ocean brand but was wondering if there is something better out there but I am not aware of the brands and/or what the results or benifits are.

Also In most of my water tests I was not watching the alk/dh as closely mine is low so what buffer should I use?

mark
09-30-2007, 01:48 AM
salt poll
http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31737&highlight=salt

And to bring alk up, baking soda. For amounts, it's on the pull down on this calculator http://reef.diesyst.com/

fishguyxd
09-30-2007, 02:00 AM
Thanks.

Ok I had 110kh on the test result from LFS so what am I looking for (double that at least correct) and how much baking soda do I add slowly to get to normal range for 100 gal tank setup?

mark
09-30-2007, 02:52 AM
Again the calculator will give amounts to add.

Go for a alkalinity of 7-11dKH (value from here (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php)).

hillbillyreefer
09-30-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the link Mark! Us noobs can use handy things like that to increase our knowledge and understanding.

Brad

fishguyxd
10-02-2007, 01:07 AM
Ok If i was looking for 220 kh What would the results be for 100 gal Can some some else use the chart and see what they get for result using baking soda as the product & using Alk button.

I did and I overdosed I am pretty sure because my athina is flopped over so far and a boxer shrimp dead. So I have did a water change and now watching any other idea I can do to help rebound this.

my ph is 8.4
sality is 1.023

mark
10-02-2007, 01:50 AM
What are the units you are trying to measure?

Before you had 110kh, I though was typo for 11.0 KH. If you meant PPM then 110 PPM then was close to target range and probably not worth adjusting.

Now if you are going for 220PPM you're out of range on the high side and if going from one extreme to the other specially in one dose could see being detrimental to the tank.

***Above aside, for 100g, 110PPM>220PPM of Baking Soda I get 139.9g.***(unable to repeat, think I put my system volume in)

fishguyxd
10-02-2007, 02:17 AM
Were I got 110 from was the test kit 11 drops x10 equaled 110 kh and that test was done at the LFS they said my water test was 110 kh (not ppm) I asked what should I have it at they said twice that. so 220. I must be getting the terms mixed up.(dkh ,ppm ,meg/l ) any links on thesea again i now found reef cent etc have some good reading to do.

So any extreme measure I can do to save everything
(only think on my side is I do not have a bunch of corals at this time just some zoo's ricordia , some mushrooms, athinia(had).

mark
10-02-2007, 06:08 AM
I'm feeling a little responsible here but...

Doing right with the water changes. Also suggest if you going to be adding anything, get a good test kit so you can measure yourself. That way you can monitor changes as you slowly dose so you don't go over. Again slowly in this hobby, reason why one acclimatizes new stock is so that they're not shocked by sudden changes in parameters.

Wonder if the test kit was Hagen? Their test has the number of drops x 10 to get hardness in mg/l (PPM). I got sold the big kit from a LFS that I never got around to throw out, so was able to try hardness with it.

Though expired, just tested my water and got 11 drops so 110 ppm (within the ideal range from the Hagen pamphlet included with the kit, 105-125mg/l (ocean being 125mg/l)). Interesting thing is this afternoon tested the tank with Salifert (and yes heard of the bad batches) but got 9.6KH (~190ppm). Just with difference between the two, and I'm leaning that the Salifert is more correct, if I would start dosing based on the Hagen I would have driven my alk beyond ideal.

Guess the other thing to say if the tank was looking okay before, use that as an indicator if you should be adding anything.

fishguyxd
10-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Well in the crash mode here. lost the zoo's, snails and crabs,featherduster Did another water change so see what happens, Spoke with the LFS again and they confirmed the kit they used was "PPM" reading and a hagan kit So that's the update.

fishguyxd
10-25-2007, 01:32 AM
Hi Well Not a whole lot change here
the water has been changed alot
Using a new salt (reef Crystals)

At most recent tests (from display tank)
Cal is 220
Alk is 180-190 (ppm) per instruction(hagan test kit)
Salitity is at 1.022
ph is still hi at about 8.6

fish are doing well and two little green mushrooms are all that I found still going.

Anyone have idea's
should I add some Cal or look at mag level
I not sure where the cal is going there is nothing in tank to consume it.
how much calcium can a person add per day?
Well that's my update.

mark
10-25-2007, 01:46 AM
Have you measured your SW mix before adding to tank?

I'm using IO and find right out of the bucket it's low Ca and Mg and on the high end for Alk, see here (http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35562) . Obviously if relying on the IO alone, I couldn't get the numbers I was wanting.

fishguyxd
10-27-2007, 03:26 AM
ok tonight out of a new mix 5 gal mix ( from a rubbermade container not display tank)
the results are using "reef crystals salt"
Sal 1.023
ph 8.2
kh 110 meg /L or 11 drops
CaL 280 -300
mag is about 930 (salfret kit) I know it should be higher

So is this ok ?
I usually do not take "all" these tests from a new batch of water.
any imput?
I do hope by keeping all reefers updated someone new in the hobby will get a chance to read and learn.
Someone had a post & link with regards to using epson salt to boost mag
? Is this corect and how safe is it?
Well tomorrow I will test display tank and see what's taking place.

mark
10-27-2007, 05:23 AM
Article on Mg (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php) with DIY supplements (Epson salts okay, not ideal).

With the low Mg, going to have a hard time getting Ca up.

Need to check your units, you don't have 110 meg/l (think you're ppm).

Here (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php) for levels (table 1).

fishguyxd
10-27-2007, 01:21 PM
thanks yes that correct I was thinking in meg but it is ppm.

fishguyxd
10-28-2007, 04:37 PM
ok with this new kit in hand (Salifert) KH/ALK. I took test from main diplay tank.
I did as directions said. I used 4 ml of water
and dropped in the "whole" 1 ml syringe (drop by drop) and it changed color on the "last" drop.

So I just want someone that is more familar with this test kit to tell me what the results would be so I can confirm my results.

please and thanks. according to the chart 0.98 is 0.3 dkh ( I should be up around 7-11dkh) or 0.56mls on the syringe correct ? to be in normal range.

marie
10-28-2007, 05:01 PM
ok with this new kit in hand (Salifert) KH/ALK
I did as directions said. I used 4 ml of water
and dropped in the whole 1 ml syringe (drop by drop) and it changed color on the last drop so i just want someone that is more familar with this test kit to tell me what the results would be so I can confirm my results. please and thanks. according to the chart 0.98 is 0.3 dkh ( I should be up around 7-11dkh) or 0.56mls on the syringe.
I maybe confused but if you dripped most of the syringe in then your DKH is actually 15.7 (very high) which would explain why your calcium is so low (its all precipitating out).

When you mix up your new water do you add the salt first and then the water? Is there a white residue in the mixing bucket?

fishguyxd
11-17-2007, 02:55 AM
That brand new kit I just bought which was not to be expire till 2011 was no good
I when't to lfs store and we did a few tests compared and the salfret was reading way high.

michika
11-17-2007, 02:49 PM
So which test kits are you using for what? What are your parameters now?

fishguyxd
11-17-2007, 09:51 PM
right now

cal is 420
mag just under 1500
Kh 8.4
Sal 1.026

my cal kit was a aqua pharmaceutical inc
my mag is a Salifert kit
kh results were a comparison between 3 kits ( and my new kh salifert kit) which was reading 12.2 kh
and salifert kit at the lfs that was open for day to day testing which was 8.6kh
and a new hagan opened there results were 8.4 kh

All test with my kits compared to tested at lfs using with there kits.

michika
11-17-2007, 10:04 PM
Do you know what you want to set your parameters at? Have you set specific levels that you want to achieve?