PDA

View Full Version : DIY PVC pipe overflow

spoot
09-29-2007, 09:08 AM
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p249/megaspoot/Aquarium%20Related/overflowsiphon.jpg
This is a design of a DIY overflow that I plan to employ pretty soon. Any tips and pointers is much appreciated. I plane to build 2 of these using 1.5" pvc, just in case one of them magically loses siphon, I'll have a back up.

For the return pump, I have one of these, http://www.lgpc.com/Product/ItemDetail.aspx?ProductID=855. Thanks cprowler! :D

Tank is a 120g. Currently brackish increasing to marine with puffer size. When in marine, it will flow into my 75g refugium (currently stocked with 1 scooter dragonet, 1 yellowhead sleeper goby, 2 peppermint shrimp and a massive ball of chaeto). Then into a 20g sump with a PM bullet 3.

cole004
09-29-2007, 11:32 AM
I've just completed my second overflow. They are great and cost about $30.00 to build. I use 1"/25mm sch-40 PVC from Rona and get them to cut it for me. I've made the following Mods;

Mod 1
I place a "T" on the intake (B) and two that added two threaded ends and two stariners. The "T" helps skim the surface and reduces noise. and the strainer keep the fish in the tank. before I did this I did have a snail go for a ride to the sump.

Mod 2
I removed the air valve and prime it by sucking on Tube "C" Air really isn't an issue with this design

Mod 3
I place an end cap on tube"B" with a hole drilled in it to reduce noise. * Note that the end cap in not glued as you will need to prime the overflow using this tube.

A couple of tips:
In the mod 2 picture you can see a couple of felt pen lines on the top. I dry fit the overflow and place it in the tank, adjust the angles and then mark the lines so I can glue it perfectly.
You can test the unit in the bath tub using a 5 gal pale.
I found sanding the PVC in the best way to remove the printing on the side.
Don't over-think this, it is dumby simple to build, dry fit the peices together and test it in the tub then place it the tank and mark it, glue it and plumb it to the sump. It is very easy. i guess that it moves around 320 - 340gph. good luck and let us know how you make out.

Cole004

mark
09-29-2007, 03:01 PM
One of the things about an overflow tower or a hang on/over back box is the linear length of the weir. It allows the water that overflows to be a thin layer from the surface to remove to film.