PDA

View Full Version : Bleaching Monti: Can It Be Stopped?

christyf5
01-14-2003, 04:13 AM
Hey guys,

I came home to this this evening. I just got it last weekend. I started lightening up on Saturday. I thought maybe it was changing in color due to being under different wattage MH (or different temp MH) but this is completely white and devoid of polyps. Should I move it lower in the tank or is it too late??

http://www3.telus.net/seamonkey68/yellowmonti1.jpg

TIA
Christy :)

Aquattro
01-14-2003, 04:20 AM
Christy, does it still glow under actinics? If so, the tissue is still intact. If not, or you've seen the tissue slough, you can snip off the dead area with side cutters. Looks just bleached though. Montipora are fairly hardy and there is plenty of live tissue there to recover. Make sure it isn't too far off the lighting it came from (if known) and keep a decent current in the area to remove toxins/slime and provide O2 and food. It should be OK.

christyf5
01-14-2003, 04:35 AM
Brad,
Well the polyps glow under the actinics but in that area there are no polyps so no glow. I think the tissue is completely gone from there. Can't I just leave the dead area and have the tissue regrow over it?? Or is the tissue still there and just bleached? Sorry I'm new to this sps stuff. But with my fabulous new course I will soon have all the answers 8) :P

I just looked up Lees specs (he was coral sitting for me) and I didn't realize he has 175W bulbs (for some reason I thought he had 400W). Mine are 250W so I guess the difference was a bit much for it to take. I moved it a bit lower so hopefully that will help.

Thanks

Aquattro
01-14-2003, 04:38 AM
Christy, I suspect the tissue is still there. If you see no further recession and/or tissue actually falling off, you can leave the "dead" part. If there is a pathogen causing this, you want to cut it off from reaching live tissue.
However, I think you're OK just lowering it a bit and watching. I think the tissue is still intact. If it stays white for more than a day or two, the tissue is for sure still there....no tissue = diatoms.

ldzielak
01-14-2003, 05:27 AM
Sorry to hear your not having much luck with that one. I did not have that coral in directly under my lights, but maybe off to the side and about a depth of 10 inches. How are the other doing? I did have it under good flow.

Lee

christyf5
01-14-2003, 05:33 AM
The others are doing great Lee. I was getting kind of worried about the acropora as it didn't have its polyps out for 2 days after you brought it down but I guess it was getting accustomed to the light as well because the polyps are totally out and it looks awesome. I didn't even realize that the polyps got so big on acroporas. The pocilipora looks great too. Its pretty cool seeing them close up and in my tank. I used to give them only a passing glance but I'm practically glued to the glass totally checking them out all the time now :) I'm getting addicted. I can see a calcium reactor in my future plans :lol:

ldzielak
01-14-2003, 05:35 AM
Can you post a full tank pic to see where all the corals are? Maybe that would help to get it in the same lighting. Also can you remind me how many lights you have.

Lee

Aquattro
01-14-2003, 06:10 AM
I didn't even realize that the polyps got so big on acroporas.

Christy, surprise them at 5 in the morning with a flashlight!! Then you'll see polyps :shock:

Jack
01-14-2003, 07:57 PM
It was me that had the 400w halide Christy. Hope that coral gets better, I loved that one too, it was a nice yellow/bright green when I had it. I would like0 a Ca reactor soon (Lee you gotta help me hook one of these things up :shock: ).

Brad do you still make the Ca reactors?

christyf5
01-14-2003, 08:27 PM
Yes Brad, do you?? :lol: I'd like to try building one but I can't quite figure these things out.

Aquattro
01-14-2003, 08:48 PM
I certainly do, although if you want to take a close look at mine and try it yourself, let me know!! I can give you a few pointers and supply anything you need for parts.

Jack
01-14-2003, 10:54 PM
I would like to make a trip down to Victoria to tank a look around. har har. Maybe early Feb or something. I have wanted one of Brad's Ca reactors for a while (The price ya can't beat) and now that the 120 gal is almost there a reactor would be some icing on the cake. I'm getting LR off Adam so I could scoop that up at the same time as well. (unfortunalty no frag time yet)

Do you have any built right now brad? Maybe I could put some money down on one. I will PM you.

Christy, maybe if I make a trip down I could pick one up for you as well? Let me know.

christyf5
01-15-2003, 01:38 AM
Ok guys I think I really screwed up. I moved the monti last night but today I can see evidence of bleaching pretty much all over the coral. here is a pic:

http://www3.telus.net/seamonkey68/dyingmonti.jpg

Here is a pic of where I had it (OLD) and where it is now (NEW). I'm looking closely at my other sps to see if they are showing any signs of bleaching but everyone looks pretty happy so far.

http://www3.telus.net/seamonkey68/montilocation2.jpg

Canadian Man
01-15-2003, 03:40 AM
Christy what's your water movement like in the tank?

christyf5
01-15-2003, 04:36 AM
I have a Maxijet MP1200 and a 600 as well as a Mag 9 circulating water from the sump. I think the flow is pretty good but I was planning on trying to add another powerhead in the near future to get behind the rocks.