PDA

View Full Version : Dry Rock

spikehs
09-28-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm getting a little tired of the way I have my aquascaping and would like to switch it up... However i don't want to spend the $$$ on more live rock, when I have enough to seed some dry base rock. Does anyone know where I can pick some up? Looks for some nice shaped pieces. Thanks.

Richard_Dicosimo
09-28-2007, 03:29 PM
they sell the calcium carbonate rock or whatever it is(like sand stone but way more porus) at pet cetera and petland at least i bought some there years ago when i first started.

Richard

ps i wasnt a fan of it it crumbles a bit and doesnt look as nice

MikeP
09-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Try a place called ornamental landscaping. They have tufa rock for .44 cents a pound and moon rock for .88 cents a pound. Also, last time I was at Red Coral he had shelf and branching LR which I think is pretty light so a few peices shouldn't cost to much.

HTH

Pan
09-28-2007, 04:17 PM
what is moon rock?

spikehs
09-28-2007, 04:43 PM
Try a place called ornamental landscaping. They have tufa rock for .44 cents a pound and moon rock for .88 cents a pound. Also, last time I was at Red Coral he had shelf and branching LR which I think is pretty light so a few peices shouldn't cost to much.

HTH

does it come in interesting shapes? or is it usually just the boulder shaped rock?

Delphinus
09-28-2007, 04:57 PM
If it's true tufa rock it should have some interesting textures at least. If you go check it out let us know what you think!

MikeP
09-28-2007, 07:20 PM
The tufa is boulderish but some pieces have holes/caves and it does have a good texture like Tony said. I bought a bunch to use for base rock in my tank. The moon rock is smoother and grey in color but has more interesting shapes and the pieces I saw had either more holes or bigger holes than the tufa. The tufa is an off white color but is quickly covered by coraline.

danny zubot
09-29-2007, 07:20 AM
I had Tufa once. it is boulderish but easy enough to drill holes into. Careful though, mine quickly became a cyano breading gound.