PDA

View Full Version : water volume from overflow box

jdair101
01-13-2003, 11:29 PM
Hi everyone
I currently am using a LG 3mdqx-sc pump for a return pump, but want to flow more water. I ordered a new Mak 4 from Saltwater Connection (could not pass up the price) and want ot use it for the return pump. My question is will my single 6X9 corner over flow be able to handle the extra volume of water. I'm using a 1 1/2" durco stand pipe aswell but there was a post that says that it should handle something like 1600 gal.
tifn
Thanks Jim

Jayson
01-14-2003, 01:21 AM
Your pump was shipped out today. The overflow will handle the water volume. A general rule of thumb is 1000 gallons per 1 inch hole diameter. Thanks

ldzielak
01-14-2003, 05:38 AM
I just got the same pump from Jayson too and repalced my 4MDQ-XC. With my return configuration, 1 x 1" splitting off to 2 1" line just under the tank, I get the exact same flow rate.

Lee

Bryan
01-14-2003, 05:49 AM
Jim:

When you get the Mak 4 all setup can you please post your comments on the pump. I have a LG 3mdqx-sc as well that is going to need replacing shortly. I like the pump for it's reliability and how quiet it is. Curious as to how the MAk 4 compares to in terms of noise.

Hi everyone
I currently am using a LG 3mdqx-sc pump for a return pump, but want to flow more water. I ordered a new Mak 4 from Saltwater Connection (could not pass up the price) and want ot use it for the return pump. My question is will my single 6X9 corner over flow be able to handle the extra volume of water. I'm using a 1 1/2" durco stand pipe aswell but there was a post that says that it should handle something like 1600 gal.
tifn
Thanks Jim

Doug
01-14-2003, 01:10 PM
I have two Mak4 pumps, plus have run 3MD & the 4MDQX.

As Lee mentioned, its about the same flow as the 4MD. The Mak 4 is an excellent pump. The best I have used. IMO, its much quiter than my 3MD and a little quiter than the 4MDQX.

I dont like pumps without fans to cool the casings. The 3MD is an excellent fan cooled pump, but the Mak4 is also fan cooled and quiter. Mine are in a fishroom, and even in there I can notice a difference.

Bryan
01-14-2003, 02:00 PM
We must be talking different pumps, my 3mdQXSC(circulation pump) does not have a fan and is virtually silent only makes a slight humm when running. I have a 4MdSC(pressure Pump), fan cooled and it is very loud.

Is your 3MD fan cooled?

The best I have used. IMO, its much quiter than my 3MD and a little quiter than the 4MDQX.

I dont like pumps without fans to cool the casings. The 3MD is an excellent fan cooled pump, but the Mak4 is also fan cooled and quiter. Mine are in a fishroom, and even in there I can notice a difference.

MitchM
01-14-2003, 02:30 PM
I'm curious....have you guys looked into submersible pumps? The heat from them is transferred to the aquarium water, taking some of the load off the aquarium heaters and from my experience, they are extremely quiet and reliable.

Mitch

Delphinus
01-14-2003, 03:31 PM
[...]

When you get the Mak 4 all setup can you please post your comments on the pump. I have a LG 3mdqx-sc as well that is going to need replacing shortly. I like the pump for it's reliability and how quiet it is. Curious as to how the MAk 4 compares to in terms of noise.

Ok, I'm not Jim but I gotta jump in. I love my Gen-X (new name for the MAK4). After my lighting upgrade later this year, I'm considering taking off my LG4 off my 75g and replacing it with a Gen-X. Way better pump, no comparison really. My LG4 is the pressure-rated, non-fan-cooled model. First of all, the LG4 gets so unbeleivably hot that you can get an electrical kind of smell in the air if there isn't a fan blowing on it (I use a 4" electronics fan). You could fry an egg on that pump without the fan blowing on it. The Gen-X, in comparison, is easily the same noise level as the LG4, and the Gen-X DOES have a fan whereas the LG4 does not. Plus it runs cooler, quieter, and draw less electricity to run, to boot.

Forget it. I am a total beleiver in this pump. Basically for the money, there is no better unit out there.

The only thing about it, I think, is that there is no way to oil the bearings so far as I can see. How this can be, to have a maintenance-free pump, I don't know. Makes me wonder how long the thing can last ... but hey if I get five years out of it anyways, I couldn't ask for more than anyways.

Carpentersreef does have a point about submersibles though. Definitely a lot easier to setup and deal with..

Canadian Man
01-14-2003, 04:31 PM
No kidding Mitch/Tony.
I wish I has all submersables. Now (Winter) I have to run 3x250W
heaters just to keep up with my systems temp. With out the third heater my temp drops down 3Deg Ferinheit at night. :shock:

Delphinus
01-14-2003, 04:38 PM
REALLY. Wow, that's a lot of heater.

If it's any consolation ... Look at it this way, it's much easier and cheaper to throw in a heater in the winter than it is to throw in a chiller in the summertime if you find your temps skyrocketing too much...

Canadian Man
01-14-2003, 04:48 PM
REALLY. Wow, that's a lot of heater.

If it's any consolation ... Look at it this way, it's much easier and cheaper to throw in a heater in the winter than it is to throw in a chiller in the summertime if you find your temps skyrocketing too much...

Yea that's a good way to look at it but in the winter I now have to run an extra heater and a DEhumidifier! :roll: With my electricity bill i'm suprised i havent got the cops burtsting through my door as well :lol:

BCOrchidGuy
01-14-2003, 04:51 PM
Wow Canadian man, maybe you should bring in your aquarium from out side for the winter.... lol (J/K) wow thats a lot of heater going on. I find my MH keeps my tanks up to temp during the day and at night a 200 watt heater each takes care of them.... mind you I'm only running a 72 and a 77 gallon.

Canadian Man
01-14-2003, 04:57 PM
BCOrchidGuy
Wow Canadian man, maybe you should bring in your aquarium from out side for the winter.... lol
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yea well my basement get's almost as cold as outside durring the winter. The basement sump in an unfinished basement contributes to the extra heaters :roll:

Durring the day only 1 to 2 of the heaters is on when my lights are on but it's the night time that's a kicker. The 175w halide on my sump dosent contribute much to the heating situation.
I never have to buy a chiller though :wink:

StirCrazy
01-14-2003, 05:00 PM
Yea well my basement get's almost as cold as outside durring the winter. The basement sump in an unfinished basement contributes to the extra heaters :roll:

Durring the day only 1 to 2 of the heaters is on when my lights are on but it's the night time that's a kicker. The 175w halide on my sump dosent contribute much to the heating situation.
I never have to buy a chiller though :wink:

Hmmm maby your next DIY should be to build a room around your sump and stuff downstairs.. insulate it and heat it.. :wink:

Steve

Doug
01-14-2003, 05:01 PM
Bryan, the 3MD is the pressure model and fan cooled. My 4MD non pressure model was as Tony says. Cooking hot casing. Thats why I only use the fan cooled now, regardless of noise.

Mitch, your point is a good one. Thats one reason why I was switching my beckett back to a Mag24 from a Mak4, before I sold it.

I do have a pair of 250w heaters running but in my case the wood stove runs pretty well all winter and keeps the tank, my wife and my dogs toasty warm.

My 400w halides also do a good job in the day, but at night with sump, two large 1 1/2in. overflows and an open top 225, it can get pretty cool.

BCOrchidGuy
01-14-2003, 05:10 PM
Oddly enough last year through the winter I couldn't get my basement temp above 68 degrees and that was with TWO 1500 watt heaters going. I had an electrician friend come in and wire in a 220 volt circuit just for heating my aquarium room. I gave up on 65 tanks because I would have had to had a seperate heater in every tank.... $$$$$... Now I have a 400 watt MH and between the lamp and the ballast my room hits 82 degrees during the day, and doesn't drop below 72 at night, and I don't still have the heaters on.
I was shocked to find out a MH lamp and ballast make a more efficient space heater than ... well.. space heaters do...