PDA

View Full Version : Seachem rocks!

titus
08-23-2001, 10:25 AM
Hello All,

Okay this is not a commercial post. No affiliation between Canreef and Seachem. Although I really wish to after looking at their website. I just took a look at Seachem's website. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

They have all of their test kits' documentation online (much much much better than Salifert's), and a lot of good information in their FAQ section. There's also technical support. Overall, I'm impressed. I wonder why so many people are carrying Kent Marine and Salifert rather than Seachem.

If you are wondering anyone has used this stuff, I have used their Reef Calcium, Reef Complete, and Reef Plus. Good stuff.

Anyone has used their stuff as well? What's your experience like?

Titus

Troy F
08-23-2001, 10:39 AM
I won't speak for everything here but from what I understand quality in test kits is higher in the Salifert line.

canadawest
08-23-2001, 10:46 AM
I've been using Reef Advantage Calcium, and Reef Builder since starting my tank. I add it to my make up water whenver I need to maintain my Calcium levels or when my Alk falls.

I think both products are easy to use, work as described, and have never had any adverse affects on my tank.

I also tried a bottle of Reef Plus the first couple months I had my tank, but didn't really notice any postitive effects, so I never purchased a new bottle after finishing the first.

I also use the Seachem Marine Basic test kit, and find it quite easy to use, and an excellent combo kit containing all the important tests in one box. It's also fairly inexpensive and I expect fairly accurate.

Although I'm a believer that "less is more" in reefkeeping and try to stay away from additives, I'll continue to keep Seachem products in my stand.

PS.. I haven't been to their website in quite a while, but it sure looks great now!

reefburnaby
08-23-2001, 09:05 PM
Hello Titus,

I use Seachem reef calcium and reef builder. Its good stuff...but I think they get pretty expensive over the long term.

Saving up for a calcium reactor....

titus
08-23-2001, 10:54 PM
Hello reefburnaby,

Um... do you mean more expensive than Kent and other brands, or just expensive because it's just another additive?

Where did you buy yours? I don't see anyone other than Pet Cetera selling SeaChem.

Titus

titus
08-24-2001, 04:58 AM
Hello Troy,

I thought so too until I checked their site last night. There are 2 things that Seachem has but Salifert doesn't:
1) Very detailed, diagrammed, with extra tips documentation
2) A reference sample (very good for those phosphate, silicate tests)

I had used Salifert without any problems and I'm eager to try first hand how Seachem fairs.

Titus

canadawest
08-24-2001, 11:43 AM
I got mine through mail order in the US. (www.petsolutions.com) I also ordered most of my dry goods through them when first setting up my tank just over 6 months ago.

They had a deal on the Seachem products at the time, and I got two small containers of Reef Advantage Calcium and one of Reef Builder. I still have one full Advantage, and half a container of the others. I use them in my dozing once every week two.

reefburnaby
08-26-2001, 02:37 AM
Hello,

Actually, I am a cheap bastard in an expensive hobby images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

...try king eds on Edmunds + Kingsway. $30 for 1kg of Reef Advantage or Reef Buffer.

As for what makes this so expensive -- Ignoring picking lime, scientfic grade CaOH2 (aka kalk) is about $9/kg in Delta. The hidden advantage is that the kalk method requires less buffer. Kalk has OH-, a acid neturalizing compound or base, so less buffer is used -- hence you don't have to add as much buffer to maintain your dkH. The hidden disadvantage is that you need a doser. If you use lfs kalk, which is more expensive, the advantages aren't as big.

Currently, I dose four times a week for buffers and twice a week with Calcum. Seachem is easier to use than kalk. I am just stating the fact that Seachem is a little expensive and other alternatives do exists.

If I had to chose again, I would probably lean towards 2 part or calcium reactor -- depending on size of the tank.

[ 25 August 2001: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]