PDA

View Full Version : DIY Plumbing

rmoss25
01-13-2003, 02:03 PM
Hello All.
Does anyone know where I can get information on DIY plumbing?. i.e. pvc pipe sizes and bulkhead sizes. Also where is the best place to get a tank drilled?

Jack
01-13-2003, 07:00 PM
Plumbing a tank is quite easy. Go to a good local plumbing store and they should help you along. I would reccommend using purple primer when doing saltwater. I got my bulkheads at J&L Aquatics. And getting your tank drilled, I have no idea where to get that done. But if you are looking at purchasing a drilled tank I would reccomend SeaStar Aquariums.

Aquattro
01-13-2003, 08:23 PM
But if you are looking at purchasing a drilled tank I would reccomend SeaStar Aquariums.

Or, to save money on shipping, your local Ottawa based aquarium supplier! :)

rmoss25
01-14-2003, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the info
Does Seastar have a website or anything that I can check out for prices?

StirCrazy
01-14-2003, 01:56 AM
No they don't as it depends what time of day and which star the moon is in alignment with as to determan the price of the tank.. also they need to know how many scratches you want.. :roll:

Steve

Aquattro
01-14-2003, 03:59 AM
If you were going to order a tank from far away, try Inter-American Pet Supply. Some of the Calgary people can probably provide the link. They do nice work and their retail is generally lower than Seastar's wholesale price. Sea Star is a wholesale only supplier.

Jack
01-14-2003, 07:51 PM
Uh... woops. My tank is SeaStar and I like it. I got it off Darren so any hasle with shipping/ordering was neglagent. Maybe I didn't make a good reccommendation? Shoulda thought it out.

StirCrazy
01-14-2003, 08:54 PM
Haha there tanks are diecent tanks Jack.. I just neglected to check mine good enuf befor I accepted it.. and every time you talk to them they have a different price for stuff.. don;t worry about it.. knowing Darren I would expect that he went over it with a magnafying glass for about 3 hours befor paying for it :wink:

Steve

Delphinus
01-14-2003, 08:58 PM
InterAmerican has a goofy website address, I think this is it: http://go.to/interamerican

Dez does a lot of business with Mitch and when Dez was in town he let me tag along on a visit to their facilities. I've never seen so much glass in one place!

They had a 500g starphire tank that I was drooling over. Apparently it was "unsellable" because of a blemish in the Starphire panel or something. I would gladly have taken it off their hands, but for some reason they declined my offer, electing to use it as a display in their office instead. I said, clearly if it's not good enough to sell it's not good enough for a display, and therefore you should just dispose of it and I was happy to do for a modest fee, but STILL they declined. Whazzup wit dat?? :)

I've never bought any of their tanks, but they seem decent to me.

Don't know anything about delivery times or anything like that. They did just move their facility so there might be a backlog (I haven't been following any of the discussions over at RC).

wabush
01-14-2003, 09:31 PM
Hrmm...cant help you with drilling out east....

but DIY plumbing is fairly straight forward, and there seem to be lots of sites with tid-bits of information...just have to spend some time searching around on the web...

Jack
01-14-2003, 11:02 PM
you know i never even looked that that guy was from ottawa. haha. oops. Darren made sure that tank was perfect as it is, it's a beauty. I can't wait to post some pictures and get a website going here. I will have to drop by and buy/trade/grad frags off you guys. I saw some impressive stuff that lee got from you guys.

Nammy
02-09-2003, 06:56 PM
rmoss25
I just finish drilling the first hole in my 75gal tank and the second is almost finished. I am using a Demel tool with a ceramic bit that cost $9.
No chips or cracks yet. Looks great. Will have pics soon.

rmoss25
02-10-2003, 04:52 PM
Awesome
Post them as soon as you can
Thanks

Quinn
02-10-2003, 05:37 PM
both myself and canadian man have tanks under construction at inter-american. i am expecting mine at the latest next weekend.

ron101
02-21-2003, 11:28 PM
Anyone know if the Inter-American price list is in canadian or US funds?

Quinn
02-22-2003, 01:07 AM
american funds. my 150 gal with eurobracing, single 2" overflow (smoked glass) and starphire front was $550CDN. it's being picked up next week, at which point i will provide photos.

mitch continually blows me away with how fast he talks. :P