PDA

View Full Version : Kent Additives

Reefmaster
01-25-2002, 11:43 AM
hey all
i'm gonna take advantage of j&l's 20% off deal on kent additives and was curious what other people are using.
currently we use phytoplex and microvert. anyone tried and would recommend the others? shane

DJ88
01-25-2002, 02:39 PM
I myself don't use anything. If I feed it's ESV Spray dried Phyto.

Oh I do use the carbon tho. Forgot that one.. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

[ 25 January 2002: Message edited by: DJ88 ]</p>

reefburnaby
01-25-2002, 05:14 PM
Hi,

I have some of that Kent Phytoplex. I don't really use it and if I do...it isn't very good for my tank (algae bloom). Maybe when the tank is more established, I will try it again. But, there is a way to make your own phytoplex with a blender.

But, I would consider getting the coral DIP if you keep SPS and maybe some of their buffers. And maybe some of their phosphate sponges if you have algae problems.

- Victor.

[ 25 January 2002: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]</p>

canadawest
01-25-2002, 05:58 PM
I use the Kent SuperBuffer dKH, works like a charm to stabilize pH and raise KH (alkalinity)

Have also used the Phosphate Sponge a couple times with results as advertised. And used the Phytoplex once, but had similar results as Victor with algae blooms.

Back in my early days when I was trying to get things right and my tangs would get Ich, I also tried the RxP treatment, and it seemed to make a difference as well.

I would think that any Kent product you choose would be a good one, but only get what you really need, anything else just complicates things in your tank.

terryp01
01-26-2002, 12:27 AM
It would be helpful to know whether you are running a CA reactor or not. If you are and the pH has not stabilized, I would go with some of the SuperBuffer dKH along with the Stonty&Moly.

I have found the two of these combined with a CA Reactor give me the best results on coraline growth as well as SPS. I do use a lot of other products depending on which tank I am working with but most of it is personal preference.

SuperIodine would be a safe bet as well.

Duss. images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Reefmaster
01-26-2002, 02:14 AM
sorry all, not very explicit on that post this morning. yup, we're running a reactor, but what i was really trying to ask is what is everybody feeding?? particularily for sps? we feed brine, clam, etc for fish/lps, but was curious if others have tried something other than phyto and microvert for sps? thanks. shane

reefburnaby
01-26-2002, 02:40 AM
Hi,

If you have a DSB...then just feed your DSB (which actually means, feed your fish). The DSB will feed your corals...like SPS.

- Victor.

chwkreefer
01-27-2002, 12:41 PM
The only Kent food I have used for corals is Phytoplex. I finished the bottle awhile ago and just make up my own food in a blender now. I have softies, lps and sps. My opinion is that it is an okay product, I never experienced any algae bloom, but the few flatworms I had in the tank just exploded in population once I started using phytoplex.

Funny now that I have siphoned the flatworm population down to hardly anything, they don't seem to repopulate as fast with my homemade food. (guess I'm not a very good cook, hehehehe)

A friend of mine had just started using Phytoplex for a few weeks and he states emphatically that his refugium has way more life in it now since he started using it.

So, you will probably get quite a few different opinions on this product. I've read that in terms of food stuff (phytoplankton) you don't get a lot for the money with this product as compared to others. I am not sure. Probably the best thing for you to do is just try some if you are curious or just want to spend some money. Hey if you don't like the stuff, you could always put it on ebay and sell it for $40 or 40 cents.