PDA

View Full Version : Question about the son agro ballast

chwkreefer
01-12-2003, 01:45 AM
Hi all,
I have a few questions about the son agro ballast. It seems to be quite popular and I am considering switching to those in the near future.

Is the son agro ballast a high pressure sodium ballast? If so, is that a risk at all with MH bulbs?

I would appreciate getting some opinions or feedback from those that are using the son agro with the radiums or ushio 10k bulbs. Are there pros and cons? Any horror stories with bulbs bursting or not firing?

How does the appearance of the light differ with this ballast as opposed to other 400 watt MH ballasts.

I have read some about radiums and the son agro ballast, but please indulge me and let me hear back from some of you with your opinions please. I am considering a change in my lighting in about 3 or 4 months.

I have a 75 gallon reef loaded with corals. I have two 175watt MH 10k's. But over the last couple of years my tank has really shifted to an sps tank with a few LPS. I imagine that 2 - 250 watt MH bulbs would suffice but I think that the 400's is probably still fine and probably a cheaper setup or really close to the 250watt anyways.

I plan on building a new home soon and plan on placing my tank in between two walls so that the tank can be viewed from both sides. I then have the ability to raise or lower the lights as needed.

Bill

Aquattro
01-12-2003, 03:24 AM
Bill, yes, that ballast is a HPS ballast. I know of no danger to MH from them, and in fact my regular M59 ballast has a HPS ansi designation as well.
The color on both the 10k and the radium is much whiter than on a M59 or M135. The belief seems to be that the radium bulb will not last as long, although I know of no tests verifying this yet. I suspect it may very well be true, but I am happy enough that the earlier replacement doesn't concern me.
As I think I mentioned before, if at all possible try and view various setups in person to see the color.
Unfortunately in lighting reef aquariums, each reefer has their own different opinion on what is best. RC will have a huge archive of radium/10k/son agro threads, some of which are authored by lighting professionals.

StirCrazy
01-12-2003, 03:26 AM
Yes it is a HPS ballast but it has been tested and PHO sells it as there 400 watt HQI ballast. so I don't think they would sell something that is going to distroy bulbs.

I have seen the difference personaly on a tank with 10000K ushio on a normal 400 watt ballast and the son agor ballast.. it is much brighter and much whiter.. it was a big difference going to the Son agro.. as for the radiums I have seen the difference there also.. a radium on a normal MH ballast is blue.. no other word.. just blue.. on the son agros it is a whiteish blue :wink: big help eh.. so with normal ballast your tank looks like overdrivin Actinics.. with the Son Agro your tank looks liek just a heavy amount of actinics with a white bulb.. it is hard to explain and it has been said many times.. you have to see the difference for your self.

hope that is of some help..

Steve

Doug
01-12-2003, 01:38 PM
Has anyone actually run a 400w Radium, side by side, on a 59 and a 135?

chwkreefer
01-12-2003, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I have built regular MH ballast boxes before. Are the HPS ballasts a similar setup with a core and cap? I assume what makes the son agro brighter is probably just a different cap on the HPS ballast, correct?

Bill

Aquattro
01-12-2003, 04:30 PM
Doug, never seen it done.

Bill, they are just like a regular MH ballast. No idea why they are brighter...maybe the extra 30 watts?

Bryan
01-12-2003, 06:34 PM
The Son Agro burns the bulb brighter because the ballast is actually a 430 watt ballast versus 400 for a M59, S51 or M135.

From what I understand a S51 and a M135 are almost identical to a M59 except for the ignitor. The ballasts themselves may be "tuned" slightly different for the bulbs they are supposed to drive, but basically they are the same.

I have read that the Radium will burn a wee bit brighter on the S51 and the M135, but the difference is slight.

I assume what makes the son agro brighter is probably just a different cap on the HPS ballast, correct?

Bill

chwkreefer
01-12-2003, 09:02 PM
I have put a call into a local hydroponics place to see if they can get them. All I asked for was the 430 watt Son Agro Ballast. Do I need to be more specific? Are there different model numbers or anything that I should know about in requesting my order?

StirCrazy
01-12-2003, 09:05 PM
there are different brands, there is a venture, an advance, and now a magnatech.. make sure you get the price for the one you think.

Steve

Bryan
01-12-2003, 09:45 PM
Ss my post on Saon Agro Q for Electrical Engineers. i have supplied two links for ballast mfg. The advance, well more available, uses almost 1 extra amp of wlectricity versus the Universal/Magnetek ballast.

Are there different model numbers or anything that I should know about in requesting my order?