PDA

View Full Version : RO update part 2

Josh23
01-11-2003, 04:18 PM
Ok the weekend finally came and I had some time to re test the RO unit.
I let the thing run for about half hour before testing.

The test consisted of two 5 gallon buckets. One RO water one waste water.
I put the tap on full, and let it go for ten minutes. In that time I filled the waste bucket with 4 gallons of water while the RO bucket I got a cup.
These means that the RO unit is producing 1/2 of what it is supose to and wasting a ton.

The temp of the water was 10 degrees C or 50 degrees F

Did any of you see a increase in your water bill after using your RO unit.

Josh

pocilipora
01-11-2003, 06:26 PM
I have a booster pump if you need it!

Josh23
01-11-2003, 07:47 PM
I dont know if its the pressure that is causing the slow down. We usually have good pressure at our house.

pocilipora
01-11-2003, 08:05 PM
I had a 24 GPD membrane and all I would get out of it was a drip, simmilar to what you have been describing. My house preasure is 40psi. What exactly is yours? You can by a tester at Canadian Tire fairly cheep, under $20. But adding the booster pump gave me the proper ratio of good to bad water, by boosting the preasure to about 95psi. But you need to know what your house preasure is.

Josh23
01-11-2003, 08:09 PM
I ll have to check with my Dad.
He would probablie know if he dosnt ill find out.

After you added the pump did you the drip turn into a good pour.

Josh

pocilipora
01-11-2003, 08:19 PM
Yes you would get the 24gpd out of your unit.

StirCrazy
01-11-2003, 08:20 PM
sounds like you either 1, don't have enuf pressure to make the membrain work.. or 2, they forgot to put the backpressure restrictor in the discharge line.

Steve

Josh23
01-11-2003, 08:46 PM
is there some way of checking whether they put the backpressure restrictor in the discharge line.

Josh

pocilipora
01-11-2003, 08:53 PM
Take your discharge line off your RO housing and inside there should be a restrictor piece with a small hole in the center.

Josh23
01-11-2003, 09:21 PM
Yeah it looks like there is a restrictor. I took off the waste water line and looked down the hole and it gets slighting smaller and then I would assume that it gets bigger again on the other side.
I guess that rules that problem out I still have to check on the water pressure.

Thanks
Josh

pocilipora
01-11-2003, 09:31 PM
The hole should be around the size of a pin hole and removeable. The restrictor should be about 1/2" long if memory serves me.

StirCrazy
01-11-2003, 09:51 PM
it should be a cartrage.. if you can pull it out it should have writen on it what size it is for.. you want to make sure it's rating matches your membrain.. but failing that.. do you have a way to check your water pressure ? if so what is it? if it is two low or at the min operation PSI you will not be able to penatrate the membrain properly and you will get barly any produce out of your unit...

Steve

EmilyB
01-11-2003, 10:04 PM
I just run my waste water down the laundry line. They recycle that down at the sewage plant I guess...... :roll: I've tried using it for a few things, but in winter I can't do much with it. I know my output is really a lot lower because of the colder water in winter (makes darn pure water tho...). I only get 42 psi out of the tap.

I teed into the hot and cold last year, it made a big difference for me on the output. But it was too hard to control the temp, and I feel it subsequently lead to an early departure for my membrane...........

When I'm just looking at hours vs output, I'm okay with what I am seeing. I'll measure the waste water tonite and see what kind of volume I get. Then I probably won't be so okay........

EmilyB
01-12-2003, 12:57 AM
Actually, quite a nice surprise. :shock:

Not even 4:1 actually about 3.25:1

:D

I will add that we just replaced all the cartridges and the membrane last week.

Would the micron size of the cartridges affect this as well?

Josh23
01-12-2003, 05:39 AM
when I took a look in the waste water line I noticed that there was a restrictor although there was no way to remove it. The tub just got smaller about a inch in and then I would asume it got larger on the othe side. There is no way to remove it. The hole itselft is about the size of a pin. Still working on the PSI.

Josh