PDA

View Full Version : Clown - Percula Amphiprion ocellarus

Chin_Lee
09-26-2007, 11:14 PM
Please provide your experience in this poll:

Use the top 9 poll questions if your fish has passed away.
Use the bottom 7 poll questions if you currently own this fish.
Multiple polls are allowed.
Select the best answer to the best of your knowledge.
Adding comments or elaborating on the cause of death in a post is encouraged.The options are as follows:

died within 0-3 months
died within 4-6 months
died within 7-9 months
died within 10-12 months
died within 13-18 months
died within 19-24 months
died within 2-3 years
died within 3-4 years
died after 5 years +
currently alive 0-6 months
currently alive 7-12 months
currently alive over 1 year
currently alive over 2 years
currently alive over 3 years
currently alive over 4 years
currently alive 5 years +

mark
12-05-2007, 06:43 AM
Like many when started SW got the clowns. Lost two after a month, one believe directly to either ich or velvet and second to NH3 spike in small newly setup QT.

Started over with 2 more with much better luck. Out of this group lost one after having ~4 years, seemed to have wedged itself into the LR (took pulling to remove) but it's partner still going at 4+ years.

Tom R
12-11-2007, 03:27 AM
I have 3 clowns 2 in my 180G and 1 in my 125G. These fish are a must for any new SW tank. Clowns will host in a number of corals. My clowns have hosted in a medium sized Toad Stool. To the very young visitors to my tanks the nemo's are all that matter.

Tom R

Chowder
12-11-2007, 04:16 AM
Have had them for 13 to 18 months and still going strong in a softy tank at work. Had a pair at home when I began but lost them to a lack of air in water problem with my tank. Was a newbie mistake with no surfice agitation to clear the oil slick and my skimmer breaking down.

BlkWolfe
12-07-2009, 05:25 AM
Had a pair of them i bought for my first saltwater tank about 13 years ago. Started in a 10g, then a 20g, a 75g, then a 400g, and lost them with the rest of my livestock when something nasty sprung up during a tank teardown while they were in a temporary tank. I believe i had them for about 11 years and since 3/4" long.

manaf
12-07-2009, 05:59 AM
Had a pair of them i bought for my first saltwater tank about 13 years ago. Started in a 10g, then a 20g, a 75g, then a 400g, and lost them with the rest of my livestock when something nasty sprung up during a tank teardown while they were in a temporary tank. I believe i had them for about 11 years and since 3/4" long.

WHHAATT 11 years thats amazing adleast they died a good life thats forsure

dsaundry
12-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Mine are still going strong, although I have a completely physicotic one in my 27g at work. She attacks anyone who dares to stick their hand in the tank.No eggs in tank so I don't know what she is protecting, all this behavior started after the cleaner shrimp died.

Myka
12-08-2009, 12:07 AM
One of my true Percs is almost 3 years old. But I guess she doesn't count in this poll... :(

BlueWorldAquatic
12-08-2009, 12:59 AM
Have a set of Black Darwins from my first tank (10 gal), and theyy arestill going strong 3 years later. Actually spawned for the first time 2 weeks ago. :biggrin:

Ken - BWA

silentcivilian
01-31-2011, 01:25 AM
Ive had horrible luck with clowns for what ever reason, none living past 3 months.. I have a new pair this time waiting till the rest of my tank was settled.. and they are doing well at 2months as a pair.. sooo here is hoping for more than a year!

ponokareefer
01-31-2011, 04:18 AM
Ive had horrible luck with clowns for what ever reason, none living past 3 months.. I have a new pair this time waiting till the rest of my tank was settled.. and they are doing well at 2months as a pair.. sooo here is hoping for more than a year!

Is it just clowns you are having trouble with?

sick lid
01-31-2011, 02:22 PM
Please provide your experience in this poll:

which one? ocellaris or percula

silentcivilian
01-31-2011, 04:58 PM
Just the clowns yes, and my one Ocellaris lived for sometime before a tank fault acutally made me have to restart. But with perculas never had luck.. couldnt tell you why. Treat them the same as all my other fish.. have had problems, where as most people I know, dont have issues with them at all and they are typically the fattest happiest fish in the tank. So my experiance may be isolated.. But im happy to report the two that I have now are well established and sexed.. one male and one female. Oddly since purchase, never noticed till later, my female has a flappy gill and is still doing fantastic.