PDA

View Full Version : Ok befor I nuke it is it Aptasia?

StirCrazy
01-11-2003, 03:15 AM
ok this one is different looking than my regular aptasia.. is it the same creature or is it a different thing?

http://members.shaw.ca/islandaquatics/what.jpg

Steve

TANGOMAN
01-11-2003, 05:19 AM
I had the same "creature" infestation on a few rocks. I nuked 'em.

EmilyB
01-11-2003, 05:58 AM
Don't you think it sort of looks like my "condy....."? :shock: :?

Mak
01-11-2003, 05:59 AM
Hey... what are you doing with Emily's Condy? :shock: :lol:

Seriuosly though it is Aiptasia. It's the only kind that I have in my Tank(I'm gonna give my Copperband one more weak then it's gone manually :? ).

Mak
01-11-2003, 05:59 AM
LOL speaken of the Devil :roll: :wink:

MitchM
01-11-2003, 12:23 PM
My butterfly made short work of those little...... :wink:, big or small.
Get rid of them asap. I wish there was a way to keep only one or two of them. They're quite beautiful actually - and very effecient at catching anything within their grasp, no matter the size.

Mitch

StirCrazy
01-11-2003, 03:38 PM
hehe, I have 5 of the regulat aptasia in the small tank and none in the large tank.. this is because of my 3 pepermint shrimp in the large tank. I did put a rock in the lage tank that had about 50 aptasia on it.. but the shrimp had it cleen in 3 days.

so I think I might just get a couple shrimp for the small tank to clean this up..

Steve

Bob I
01-11-2003, 04:01 PM
My butterfly made short work of those little...... :wink:, big or small.
Get rid of them asap. I wish there was a way to keep only one or two of them. They're quite beautiful actually - and very effecient at catching anything within their grasp, no matter the size.

Mitch

You might not believe this, but the manager of a LFS most of go to, told me that a few years ago he sold them for a few dollars each. :D

StirCrazy
01-11-2003, 08:15 PM
Bob, there is still a LFS here that sells aptasia rocks .. :roll:

Steve

Delphinus
01-12-2003, 12:16 AM
Heck, Vancouver Aquarium has one of the most impressive looking aiptasia display I've ever seen (in their carpet anemone habitat). Heck, there's even an ID picture up top along with the other species IDs!

To be honest ... one day I am tempted to try these in a sump or a raceway type 'fuge and use them as nutrient export.

BUT .... that day is a ways off ... :)

Bob I
01-12-2003, 03:45 PM
To be honest ... one day I am tempted to try these in a sump or a raceway type 'fuge and use them as nutrient export.

BUT .... that day is a ways off ... :)

I suppose the only possible problem with that would be that bits could get into your main system, and promptly get established there. That is only something that came to mind as I read this. There is absolutely no basis in fact.

jdair101
01-12-2003, 09:51 PM
I'm kinda new to this but I do have 4 of these in my tank. How are you going about nuke'n these things.
tifn
Thanks Jim

StirCrazy
01-12-2003, 09:57 PM
myself, I mix up a slurry of Kalk and ro watter and then inject it into them with a needle..

Steve

TANGOMAN
01-13-2003, 02:01 PM
Steve, I like the idea of using kalk. I've just completed, (hopefuly), the "nuking" of these guys in my 90g using a vinegar injection. Do you use a "normal dosing" concentration of kalk or stronger...?

StirCrazy
01-13-2003, 03:03 PM
i mix it so it is like a cream type thickness

Steve