PDA

View Full Version : Big als and ballasts

Josh23
01-11-2003, 12:20 AM
I was just in at big als today to price out a 250 watt ballast. I was just checking to see what kind of ballasts they had. After talking to the manager I guess they dont carry anything although he checked with head office and told me the only thing he could get me was a 175 dual ballast for just under 500 dollars in which he didnt know the name brand. Although I dont have high expectations for this store I was a little shocked about the price he quoted me and the lack of knowledge considering you could probablie get 2 ballasts for the same price at JL aquatics.

Oh and for all you who are interested BA is getting a new shippment of live stock next thursday.

Josh

EmilyB
01-11-2003, 01:02 AM
:lol: Not bad :roll: seeing as a couple years back they wanted over $300 for a 65kk bulb...........

Josh23
01-11-2003, 06:07 AM
they still want a 180 for a 6500K bulb.

clintyiu
01-11-2003, 07:40 AM
I wouldn't buy anything from big A's period. Everything is so overpriced.

barristan
02-01-2003, 12:24 AM
I think you are very wrong about Big Als. I bought many things from them and I happen to be one of the cheapest people I know. I have not bought any ballasts from them, but I have bought bulbs, chemicals and a skimmer from them. I compared prices with Drsfostersmith and several other places and I usually end up at Big Als or Drsfostersmith. :?

ron101
02-01-2003, 01:50 AM
Big Al's Online USA is very competitively priced. However they are referring to canadian retail outlets where they are obviously making up for the online discounts...

BCOrchidGuy
02-01-2003, 03:13 AM
I agree, and even their on line prices don't compare with J&L and especially my LFS. As far as the price for a dual ballast, J&L has a good price, local Hydroponics stores can set you up with enclosed individual ballasts but their prices still wont compare to J&L for just a ballast. I think the cheapest way to buy a ballast is through Brite Lite or a similar supplier.