PDA

View Full Version : tunze 230/3

Quinn
01-10-2003, 08:57 PM
getting tired of my posts yet?

i realized today i have a bit of money more than what i thought and i'm thinking of getting in on the JL sale on tunze skimmers. particularly i'm thinking of a tunze 230/3 for what i plan to be a 160gal setup. any comments before i take the plunge?

Aquattro
01-10-2003, 09:07 PM
Yup...what made you decide to drop $400 on that skimmer? Did you do some research that pointed to the Tunze? Don't get me wrong, I think Tunze has a great name in skimmers, but I've never seen one running. I just wonder why you picked that one....

christyf5
01-10-2003, 09:22 PM
Because it was on sale Brad! Duh! :wink: :roll: :lol:

Old Guy
01-10-2003, 09:50 PM
I've seen them running and was not impressed. Also there is no drain for a waste collector leaving the potential for overflows.

stephane
01-11-2003, 06:03 PM
they are not suppose to overfloe cause they have a level shut up but im not impress on them either they look plastick el cheapo and IMO to small to be good

I have not try them but it is my first impression after see one runing

Quinn
01-11-2003, 09:44 PM
a few people have recommended them to me, and i hadn't really heard anything bad about them until now. bob fenner seems to have a very high opinion on them. yes, the sale price did affect my feelings on the tunze, seemed like since a tunze is good, a tunze on sale must be better. whatever the case i'll hold off for now. i'd like to avoid paying over $500 for the skimmer, although i know it will be one of the more expensive items i'll be needing. my startup budget (unless i want to wait until tax returns come back) is approx. $2000. luckily i've found a lighting setup for a really good price.

people seem to also like euroreef skimmers. any particular models?

Quinn
01-12-2003, 02:06 AM
thinking now about a euroreef cs6-2, not sure how much it will set me back though. optimally i wouldn't want to pay more than $500. i don't feel that my bioload will be particularly heavy.

Doug
01-12-2003, 01:52 PM
Superb skimmer. You wont regret the purchase. Perhaps have a look on RC at Southbay also. They are Euroreef copys, but cheaper. Not sure waht type of needle wheel they use in their Sedra pumps though.

The Euroreef,s themselves are very well built, very easy to use, very easy to clean,{esp. compared to some, :roll: }, and skim excellent. Their cost is no more than any other high end skimmer. However it will cost you more than $500 Canadian.

I also know many who thing the Tunze skimmers are fine. I have never seen one in action though. I was going to purchase one myself but have decided to build a large counter current because my fishroom allows for the use of an ugly skimmer. :lol:

With a 160g, I would not skimp,{ :D }, on a skimmer, unless it was assisted by another nutrient removal method, like algae or something.

stephane
01-12-2003, 03:04 PM
Doug south bay don't use the needle weel anymore they said the skimmer is more efficient without it so they only use the sebra with the same ventury intake. they were using the needle weel at first so the firt model they buit have it but dont anymore (they also sale the real euroreef :roll:

what air pump you will use in your CC Doug

stephane
01-12-2003, 03:16 PM
Here is a goud tread on the south bay

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89877&highlight=Southbay

Doug
01-12-2003, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the info Stephane.

I am going to use the TetraTec DW96. It may not be enough, but its the biggest normal type airpump. Although the skimmer is a 6ft.-4in. I am using the top of an old 3in.cc from Rons Saltwater Heaven. {another good place to purchase a counter current if one does not wish to build. He will ship to Canada. The skimmer is just cut in half & put together with a coupling}.

I used the top because its well built. Only problem is the 1in. throat to the collection cup. However some say this works good with the above air pump and its only to assist the scrubber.

stephane
01-12-2003, 05:21 PM
I have heard a couple of peolple said those pump are not enought powerful and they need 2 + the diafragm seem to not hold more than a years

If we could find a good cheap air pump the CC could be one of the best skimmer but the air pump is always the problem I have run one for 4-5 years on my old 100 gallon but I was using tree air pump RENA commercial that was very lound but it was working good

a good pump should be a wisa or a the Pump but they cost more than 800$ :shock:

keep us update about the tetra

Doug
01-12-2003, 05:37 PM
Good chance your correct on the pump Stephane. I had a Hagen The Pump. It was a big one, but crapped out. Yes, they are a ton of money, as much as another skimmer. :lol:

If I could afford it, I would order a Euroreef CS 8/2, without hesitation.

stephane
01-12-2003, 10:02 PM
If you still have you hagen pump maybe have it repear could be a good investment as I have heard they are pretty good pump

For the euroreef Im in to DIY someting ..........coming soon :D

Quinn
01-12-2003, 10:12 PM
thanks for the advice guys. i will check out the southbays. would both the SBs and ERs include a pump when they are purchased?

stephane
01-12-2003, 11:52 PM
yes

Quinn
01-13-2003, 12:29 AM
someone suggested to me that a southbay, after shipping from california, would be more expensive than a euroreef purchase locally. is there by chance a canadian distributor or something to that effect?

southbay 8-2: $399 US = $50 US S/H = close to $700 CDN

EmilyB
01-13-2003, 12:51 AM
There is no Canadian distributor. I got mine from www.reeffanatic.com. You can check out their prices, also they will match any lower competitor price, and their customer service is awesome.

Quinn
01-13-2003, 02:07 AM
deb what model(s) are you running?

EmilyB
01-13-2003, 02:47 AM
I'm running the CS8-1 on the 155g and the CS6-3 on the 120g. With less of a load, I'm pretty certain the smaller models would be fine, however,you'd want the Sedra 5000 vs the Sedra 3500 pump.

Plus of course the footprint is important.