PDA

View Full Version : Any news on good overflow boxes?

Michael
01-10-2003, 03:13 PM
I've been wanting to get an overflow box, but I keep hearing bad things about the cpr overflow boxes. Can anyone tell me what features to look for in an overflow box, and what to stay away from?

On another note, I put in a few turbo grazers to see if they could help with my algae problem...they are doing a great job!
Thanks.

Michael

Aquattro
01-10-2003, 04:10 PM
Just curious what bad things you've heard about CPR overflows. If I was going to buy one, it would be one of those. Not that I would ever use one, but that's a different topic :P

Tau2301
01-10-2003, 07:41 PM
The person at this address thinks they stink big time.

http://home.att.net/~rstockman/overflow.htm

WARNING: DO NOT buy or use CPR Overflows. They have a built in flaw, which will and does lead to overflowing of the tank and draining of the sump onto the floor. This happened to my wife’s 55 gallon tank at least 2-3 times in less than 8 months. The first time or two we did not catch the problem. Any overflow that requires a pump to keep the overflow going will fail at some point.

Aquattro
01-10-2003, 08:16 PM
I think at some point any overflow is going to put water on your floor, however, if the CPR can help prevent that by :roll:

titus
01-11-2003, 02:27 AM
Hello,

If proper maintenance is kept, the CPR should have no problems. As a matter of fact, I can see plenty of potential problems with the drain pipe on the site you linked to. If food, leaves, weeds, or algae get caught in the holes and slow the flow, then you can have a real overflow.

Titus

StirCrazy
01-11-2003, 02:52 AM
Hello,

If food, leaves, weeds, or algae get caught in the holes and slow the flow, then you can have a real overflow.

Titus

Hmm.. ya thoes potato chip wrapers and the Oak leaves cause real problems in overflows.. :wink: :lol:

Steve

christyf5
01-11-2003, 03:08 AM
What the heck would leaves and weeds be doing in your reef tank? Are you sure you don't have this confused with the lawns and gutters forum Titus?? :P :wink:

EmilyB
01-11-2003, 03:09 AM
:lol:

titus
01-11-2003, 03:13 AM
Hello,

Leaves... the stuff you use to feed your tang

Titus

Dresden
01-11-2003, 11:24 AM
I have the 150 model 1.5" 1600gph rated, not using it yet. But my strategy in buying it was to research the problems associated and take custom measures to minimize problems. Good info on their CPR messageboard.