PDA

View Full Version : Something for a clown to host in.

marcingo
09-27-2007, 02:57 AM
So my powercompacts went yellow in my 10 gal and I didnt have much time to change them. There was also quite a bit of excess nutrients. Anyway a mound of green hair algae started growing on one rock and my clown really loves to host in it. Now that I replaced the lights and am bringing the tank back to health I know this hair algae will die off sooner or later. Is there any medium to lower light coral with longer tentacles other than gsp that could be in a 10 gal tank for my clown to host in? I feel bad for it since it seems so comfortable when it has something to host in.

Anyway thanks for the help.

Jeff_
09-27-2007, 03:11 AM
maybe try a frogspawn? My frogspawn is too small to host in right now so my clowns just sleep in the caulerpa prolifera

marcingo
09-27-2007, 04:33 AM
Thanks. I would try it but they are rather aggressive and the tank is pretty small.

ponokareefer
09-27-2007, 03:16 PM
My clownfish would host my frogspawn & hammer coral. The problem was, the corals were hurt/damaged by this interaction. Some of my frogspawn heads ended up dieing and my hammer coral would barely come out. Now that they aren't hosting them, they are both doing much better.

Der_Iron_Chef
09-27-2007, 04:51 PM
Try some hairy mushrooms.

marcingo
09-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Great thanks.

Murminator
09-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Mine stay away from the anmone and 2 opt for the xenia and 1 in the torch

i have crabs
09-28-2007, 04:27 AM
mine used to love my colt coral before they figured out what anemones were

justinl
09-28-2007, 06:02 AM
nems are obvously out of the question as are any other aggressive corals, but how about a leather? they make great surrogate hosts if they are larger than the clown. the shrooms arent a bad option either. but be aware that just because you give it a certain coral to host, it doesnt mean the clown will take to it.

marcingo
09-28-2007, 05:01 PM
actually the leather sounds good. I understand its not necessarily going to take it but I just want to give it some options for its own sake not mine.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Der_Iron_Chef
09-28-2007, 05:54 PM
The problem with the leather (and the reason why I didn't suggest it) is that they grow quite large quite quickly. And this is for a 10G, non?

marcingo
09-28-2007, 10:17 PM
yeah it is. Thanks for letting me know.

Oscar
06-08-2008, 03:47 PM
My clownfish would host my frogspawn & hammer coral. The problem was, the corals were hurt/damaged by this interaction. Some of my frogspawn heads ended up dieing and my hammer coral would barely come out. Now that they aren't hosting them, they are both doing much better.

What are they now hosting in?

Although the Cad is measured at 39G the display area is really only 27G. Now that my algae issue seems to have settled down it is time to start adding my first corals.

Ideally I would like to provide hosting opportunities that do not include corals with sweepers (such as torch or frogspawn) but maye that is too limiting.

The first corals I want to introduce are zoos, ricordia and GSP. What would you suggest I also add as hosting opportunities?

I checked the garf.org website for hosting alternatives mentioned previously but could not find that page.

banditpowdercoat
06-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Looking for something for my clowns to host in too. They sleep off in a corner of the tank, so maybe, if I put someting in there, they will host fairly quickly

daddy01
06-08-2008, 07:29 PM
hi,
My 2 cents wortj I have a 30G withc lown so I added an anenome and the clown hoted within a week, but the clow (I think) is too big for the anenome and the anenome 'scittered" away to a quiet hiding place away from clown.
Jim

Oscar
06-10-2008, 03:50 AM
I want to stay away from an anemone, it sounds like success rate with anemones is rather poor.