PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Carbonate rock or Tufa

whaase
01-10-2003, 02:11 AM
Where can you get Tufa or Calcium Carbonate rock here in Calgary and how much is it? (agerage)

Walter

Canadian Man
01-10-2003, 02:29 AM
If you go to petstores you will pay too much. It is availiable at pretty much any petstore btw.

Where I got it from was a friend who got it from a rock type supply company. I am sure you could find something in the yellowpages.
He got a box full for very cheep. I ended up paying about $0.45 per lb from my friend.

If you look at this link the piece of rock in the center of Alan's tank is a piece of calcium carbonate rock that used to be in my tank. You can see the part that was burried in the sand by the white color and the rest of it looks great!
http://members.shaw.ca/reefs/AJ_77/33gal/index.html

reefburnaby
01-10-2003, 02:35 AM
Hi,

Although I don't live in Calgary, I got mine from J&Ls for $1.60 a pound. One box of 50lb fills a medium sized apple box. It was enough rock for my tank (90). Basically, that is all of the rock that I have in my tank. The rest of the rock comes from corals that I have purchased. It is basically uncrushed rocks from Caribsea.

As for getting calcium carbonate rocks (a form of limestone), it is usually okay. Just be cautionous since it has the same dangers as using domolite or crush coral as DSB -- its calcium carbonate but there are no guarantees that it is reef safe or phospate free.

- Victor.